Would You Be Concerned re: Insurance Company

My insurance company forwarded my insurance renewal to one of my IP's instead to me as per usual.

Two years ago this insurance company issued the renewals to my PM's despite never been advised to do so. I was assured them that all information would be issued only to me.

This time, my concern is that this tenant (in a block of 3 that we own) now holds:

- our full names
- our home address
- details of our IP's

Having rung the company they could not see my concerns about the breach of confidentiality.

Would you be concerned or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?

I'd be concerned. But not surprised they don't care. Was your name on the address or the PMs name? I would hope they wouldn't open it if it was your name and forward it to you.

I would be concerned. Get another insurance company. If they cant get posting the bill right what are they going to be like when you make a claim. I made a claim on a motor vehicle, the insurance company insisted the money be sent to the finance company even tho the loan had been paid out. The finance company said they have no authority to give me the money, insurance said they have to give the money to the finance company. Three years later a new manager at the finance Co rings and says he cant balance the books is this my money. Yet the insurance Co couldn't understand why I wouldn't renew my insurance with them.

EBM had folded the statement so that only the address was showing in the window face.

And yes, the tenant did open the letter as I would have if it came in my letterbox.

What really concerns me is the total lack of empathy or concern. Having followed them up again today all they said was that they would take more time in ensuring that the documentation was correct folded.

I just feel that this is a serious breach of confidentiality and have decided to take it further.

Having seen this post and comments I made immediate enquiries as to what had occurred and now do feel the need to respond, without wishing to amplify the situation.

I can assure you that this was certainly treated with concern and investigations were carried out and systems put in place to try to avoid a recurrence. Outside our verbal apologies you were also sent an email apology yesterday afternoon, as well as a further one this morning from the General Manager of the Division.

For the purpose of accuracy however I would like to explain what my understanding is of what occurred. Bear in mind, in the vicinity of 20,000 items of this nature are mailed every month from the division.

The way the statement is printed is:

Insured name
Postal address line 1
Postal address line 2
<blank line>
<blank line>
<blank line>
Property Insured:
Insured property address

The statement is printed on A4 sized paper and folded to DL, then placed in a DLX sized envelope to allow for other documents. The less required documents (being a statement there would not have been many) the more chance that the contents may move around a little, hence it is possible for the insured property address to show as well as the postal address when the contents shifts within the envelope, even though it is not intended that way.

In this case, for some reason, Australia Post appears to have chosen to deliver to the single line of text (the property address) underneath your name and postal address (and there are 3 blank lines inbetween). Even though your postal address would also have been showing, and even though your insured property would have been listed in a single line of text and beneath the words "Property insured:".

It's certainly unfortunate, however given the volume of documents I would have to say it inevitable that an error will occur occasionally despite our best efforts.

As I have stated, we are always concerned when something goes wrong, regardless of how irregular, but apart from apologise and to look at ways of ensuring it doesn't occur again, I'm not sure what else we can do.

I certainly don't agree that the tenant should have opened the envelope, it was addressed to you, and although not illegal, certainly somewhat improper. Having been a tenant previously I would think it only logical that I would pass it on to my property manager.

Once again, please accept our apologies, we are reviewing the procedures etc. in an effort to avoid a recurrence.

With due respect Brett, I am the person that has had to follow up EMB several times before someone even bothered to call back.

And for purpose of accuracy, if either yourself or EMB had bothered to accept a scan of the letter that was sent from EBM you would understand my concerns.

The tenant opened the letter because the only item shown in the window pane was the address of the property and nothing else. You see, I know this for certain as I am holding the documents. If EMB were truly concerned and wanted to rectify this for any future events, you would have asked to review it rather than making assumptions.

If I was the tenant and had received the letter I to would have opened it as there was no name or other information visible.

Just an address and no method of shifting would show any other information.

Well and good to say that you send out 20,000 letters but this is not the first time EMB have done this. Last time you forwarded our receipts to a property manager that you were not authorised to send them to.

We also got an apology on that occasion and assurances that this would not happen again.

So I am clear, the tenant is not at fault and obviously EBM need to review their privacy practises.

Our privacy has been clearly breached for the second time.

I'm more than happy to receive your scan if you believe it can assist as at the end of the day our aim is to get as close as possible to a zero error rate. Unfortunately, human error can be very difficult to eliminate 100% but always the goal. Privacy is certainly something we take very seriously and we will always do our best to eliminate any errors as far as possible that may jeopardise that. Once again, our sincere apologies, as Sharon (General Manager) advised, she appreciated you bring it to our attention, and she has already taken steps to ensure it doesn't occur again which has meant a change in a procedure that we unfortunately had not foreseen as being necessary until you raised it.

When you you own an investment property its a great idea to have a Po Box, it is far more secure and private and protects you when errors are made.

Actually its a great idea to have a PO Box anyhow if you are concerned of privacy.

Back