Would you buy a house....

Is it an area which is prone to lots of crime? Then no.

Is it an area which is reasonably normal and nice, and its a solid IP proposition, and a "one off" then yes!

Keen to hear the details - sounds like an interesting story..... :)

Wow sounds interesting, depends if the crime may have been made public or if the area is known for high crime rates.... tell us more :)

even tho it is grusome in the short term - people's memories tend to be short. so, if you're going to do a cosmetic reno and hold it long term - then go for it.

personally i'd do a paint and carpet job - just to clear the "air". perhaps having a spiritual person go thru and cleanse the house ... my sister old ppor had previously had someone die in it (old age in the bath) and on many occasions all the family saw/heard a ghost, until she had it cleansed

If you can get it cheaper why not.:)

At this point in time i think the agent is asking a premium. I wonder if they are telling people the history. The crime is still unsolved and the sale is obviously the wrap up of the estate.

Good house, good area in Hills district of sydney, good size block.

No way would I buy it.

If the agent is not telling people, the sale could fall through, as happened a year or so ago when the murder history was not disclosed by the agent. From memory, the people found out after settlement and the agent had to "make it right".

Cannot remember the details but it was in all the news stories.

Wylie

No way would I buy it.

If the agent is not telling people, the sale could fall through, as happened a year or so ago when the murder history was not disclosed by the agent. From memory, the people found out after settlement and the agent had to "make it right".

Wylie

Wylie:

I was actually thinking about the same news when I first saw this thread.

About 10yrs ago a man set his house on fire and killed himself and his children while his wife had gone to the shops. The house was completely damaged internally, but structurally was still OK. The house was renovated and sold. It took over a year to sell as everyone knew the history about the house. The new owners were only there for a short while, someone must have told them about the tragedy and they had to move. I would say that there have been at least 5-6 different owners since then. I guess now that a new generation has moved into the suburb, many would not know of the history but it has taken considerable time for the price to go up and for the history to fade.

If it was a PPR I guess if it was a good deal I would say go for it, but if you were purchasing as an investment I would say no as locals would be reluctant to live there.

NO. It will always be the house where something terrible happened.

On the other hand if it is a good block, and it is worth having the house "spiritually cleansed" and then knock it over and build fresh - then it would be a maybe.

Sunshine

No way would I buy it.

Wylie

Yes that was the one around Ryde I believe.

There is a house in my mum's small village where a murder took place about 5-6 years ago. Nice riverfront property - it would be a delight to live in.

but you have to get past the locals all referring to your home as the murder house. ;)

I probably would'nt - especially if they're still trying to get a premium for it, let alone give a bit of discount!

I would however buy it if, as Sunshine said, you are just going to knock it down for the land in the future.

It happened in Melbourne in a very expensive townhouse that was being rented. The Owners sold it but at a very reduced price.

Chris

There is also a beautiful 1930's mansion at Hamilton where a wife and her lover murdered the husband back in the 30's. (I think they poisoned him, but not sure.) I would buy it in a flash, but feel 100% sure it would not go for a song because it was so long ago, and a very desirable address.

It is a gorgeous house in a gorgeous area surrounded by multi-million dollar properties, so I don't think this particular house would be affected by such an old murder, but it would be interesting to see the sales history from back then to now.

Wylie

Back