Would you buy a Queenslander or a brick/tile home?

Hi All,

I am just interested to get your views on buying houses in Brisbane. We have been looking with a limit of around $500k. Hubby said he would not look at a Queenslander because of its high maintenance - painting the timber work. He said he preferred a brick veneer home. The problem is that the Queenslanders are within our limit, but a brick veneer home is not - suburbs we looked are around 10kms of the City. If we go further out then a brick veneer home would be within our limit.

Do you agree with hubby? Thanks in advance.

Older Qlders do require ongoing maintenance, especially with painting, but if they are in good shape when you purchase, then repainting really only needs to be done every 8-10 yrs and so factoring this cost in will give you a more realistic idea of what you will be up for over the years.

The good ones do tend to hold their value, especially in nicer areas such as Paddington, Hamilton, Hendra etc and even better if they have all the desirable features still intact (breezeways, big verandahs, original high ceilings etc)

When you purchase, look out for places that have had their plumbing and electrics updated as these can be enormous "hidden" costs on unrenovated houses.

Hi Babushka,

My wife and I own a 90 yr old Queenslander in Brisbane. We have owned it for 3 years and in that time we have renovated the Bathroom and made it into a sleek modern one, painted inside, freshened up the kitchen with new taps and handles, blinds etc, and replaced the orginal iron roof with a new colour bond one. The roof cost approx 5k back in 2003.

I haven't found it to be high maintenance at all, as the things we did above except for the roof where all cosmetic and unnecessary. The timber used on these houses is hardwood as we found out the hard way renovating the bathroom, breaking numerous drill bits. I loved living in that house and we have had long term tenants ever since we moved out who haven't had a bad word to say about it.

I would diffentely buy another when the time is right. They are also character homes which is a big plus in terms of resale and ease of rental.

Of course it goes without saying to get a professional in to inspect any place you look at buying to check for things such as terminates and fire ants etc.

I have never understood this fascination with old timber houses, BUT that being said, the right house in the right suburb could appreciate really well.
ALWAYS get a building inspection.

A new house usually comes with 6 years QBSA insurance & 6 months maintenance.

If you do go to the outer suburbs have a peak at Logan City.
our houses are selling around the 300k mark for new BV DLUG 4bed 2 bath
you can get them a little cheaper if you want second hand with less inclusions.

300k?

focusdev said:
I have never understood this fascination with old timber houses, BUT that being said, the right house in the right suburb could appreciate really well.
ALWAYS get a building inspection.

A new house usually comes with 6 years QBSA insurance & 6 months maintenance.

If you do go to the outer suburbs have a peak at Logan City.
our houses are selling around the 300k mark for new BV DLUG 4bed 2 bath
you can get them a little cheaper if you want second hand with less inclusions.

300K - It seems high for Logan City. But then again they are new. How much land?

I am looking at the brisbane northside paper right now, and seeing houses in the 10 -15km that are 300k and under. with 400 - 600m land etc.

Admittedly they aren't new though :)

We Love the new houses - ensuite, walk in robe, modern conveniences.. ;)

Cheers
a/c

We always love old character houses, Tudor blue stones in Adelaide, QLDers in Bris... Had a QLder and loved it. I think when people are talking high maintenance QLDers it is because they are renovating the place bit by bit while living there.

Why need a brick house ? You can still have a QLDer with all modern facilities they are not mutually exclusive.

Saying all that, we now are in a brick house :eek: (the location dictated the style in this case brick) however still love the charm of a QLDer.

Hi

I also love Queenslanders, never lived in a brick though... I have heard that brick houses are a lot hotter than timber houses. Now that's probably not an issue for you Babushka because at $500k you'll get something fully airconditioned but we've never had the need to aircondition the bedrooms of our Queenslander. Just wondering how bad this usually is in a brick house as they would't cool down as quickly at night? Would that be something people worry about in IPs?

kaf

alwayscurious said:
300K - It seems high for Logan City. But then again they are new. How much land?
I am looking at the brisbane northside paper right now, and seeing houses in the 10 -15km that are 300k and under. with 400 - 600m land etc.
Admittedly they aren't new though :)
We Love the new houses - ensuite, walk in robe, modern conveniences.. ;)
Cheers a/c

similiar size lots, 500 - 600 maybe the odd 800 m2 lot.
new has a lot of plusses, the downside is that you can buy second hand cheaper.

kaf said:
Hi

I also love Queenslanders, never lived in a brick though... I have heard that brick houses are a lot hotter than timber houses. Now that's probably not an issue for you Babushka because at $500k you'll get something fully airconditioned but we've never had the need to aircondition the bedrooms of our Queenslander. Just wondering how bad this usually is in a brick house as they would't cool down as quickly at night? Would that be something people worry about in IPs?

kaf

I think you might find that a brick veneer house has better thermal qualities than a timber clad one. QLDr's can also be difficult to heat.
They are cool in summer mostly due to those cool breezes coming along that central corridor.
BUT you might get better rents from those QLDr's due to proximity to the city.

G'day Jacque,
When you purchase, look out for places that have had their plumbing and electrics updated as these can be enormous "hidden" costs on unrenovated houses.
I think there might be a "typo" there, Jacque. But, if it isn't a typo, then I'd be interested in why you think the way you do?

But, on a re-read, I think you and I agree - the problem I saw was in the choice of words (and the underlying adverse meaning):-

When you purchase, look out for places that have had their plumbing and electrics updated
"look out" in the Aussie vernacular usually means "be careful" - and I'd interpreted your comment in this way.

As usual, the written word is far inferior to be sitting opposite someone, and conversing.... Different inflections can be sensed by watching people, and mis-understandings can be sorted out immediately when sitting face to face.

Seems we really are on the same page after all,

Regards,

Les said:
G'day Jacque,

I think there might be a "typo" there, Jacque. But, if it isn't a typo, then I'd be interested in why you think the way you do?

But, on a re-read, I think you and I agree - the problem I saw was in the choice of words (and the underlying adverse meaning):-

"look out" in the Aussie vernacular usually means "be careful" - and I'd interpreted your comment in this way.

As usual, the written word is far inferior to be sitting opposite someone, and conversing.... Different inflections can be sensed by watching people, and mis-understandings can be sorted out immediately when sitting face to face.

Seems we really are on the same page after all,

Regards,

Oh it's just me being lazy with my english, is all, Les :)
What I actually meant was for buyers to be aware of the condition of the electrics and plumbing, as the upgrading of these can add enormously to the cost, if they haven't already been done.
I've come across a few beautifully presented Qlders but with outdated electrics, which was only discovered when we enquired about adding an air/con unit or something similar. Lack of sufficient power points is also a problem in some of them, with most only having one in each room- nowhere near enough for all our modern day gadgets!!

I have sold stacks of Queenslanders and lots of modern brick and tiles and lived in both too so I'll give my 2 cents.

Qldrs are old homes and therefore by nature mostly are within 10kms of the city. On the other hand the modern homes are usually 5-7km+ out from the city. Ipswich is an area which doesn't fit into this theory but in general its how it is. Qldrs are full of character and tradition, amazing homes with big rooms, solid hardwood timber ideally built to suit the hot and humid Qld weather. This is why they were built off the ground to allow the breeze to flow underneath also. They are high maintenance however and the windows are not designed for flyscreens, which is why many are replaced with aluminium windows. This then destroys its character and is a major turn off to potential buyers. It's vital to maintain the character of a Qldr. Building in underneath by using brick is also another turnoff to Qldr buyers.

Jacque is spot on regarding wiring and plumbing, it is important to make an electrical inspection part of every purchase on a Qld timber home. This is not included in your building insp and the old wiring is not suitable to current living needs and is dangerous. Roofs, gutters, painting, white ants and rooms which flow to other rooms are all issues in the common Qldr.

Brick homes have smaller rooms, especially bedrooms. They also have formal lounge and dining rooms which i found were rarely ever used and we were no different. Ensuites are also overrated, but thats my opinion :) A major advantage of the brick and tile is garaging. Qldrs often only have carports whereas Brick most often provides a lock up garage usually with internal access and remote control. Kitchens tend to be more practical in modern homes. Our last home, a lowset brick and tile at Carseldine is the coolest house we have lived in, not taking into account our house now is fully air conditioned :cool: Tiles help enormously in keeping a house cool.

Personally I think brick and tile areas are boring. Albany Ck is an example of an area where every house looks much the same and they are on top of each other like sardines. No character at all. The Bridgeman Estate off Becketts Rd at Bridgeman Downs is excellent but the price tag is a little higher. 500k should get you into something though. If I went back to brick and tile it would have to be on a 1000m2 block minimum. By the time you fit a modern brick home on a 607m2 block there's little room for kids,a pool or dog. We have polished floors throughout now and seeing the dust, dirt and everything else we sweep up every couple of days is scary, considering thats what lays in your carpet.

Character homes will perform better in a slow market but the cost of owning one is higher. At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference and whether it is for Principal place of residence or investment.

Kev
www.gogecko.com.au

I've always felt timber frame is not a good investment here in Adelaide where the majority of houses are brick or brick veneer (the older ones are stone). However when I went to look at investing in Brisbane I had to change my mindset and see that timber homes (esp the queenslanders) are as good an investment than the newer brick homes. In Qld and to a certain extent Victoria, itall comes down to the area you are buying in, and the style of the house - not what it is made of (IMHO).

Thanks, guys, for all the good points raised - particularly to Kev's analysis on both Queenslander and brick/tile home. Very helpful to get your different views.

Kevin Hockey said:
I have sold stacks of Queenslanders and lots of modern brick and tiles and lived in both too so I'll give my 2 cents.

Character homes will perform better in a slow market but the cost of owning one is higher. At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference and whether it is for Principal place of residence or investment.

Kev
www.gogecko.com.au

Really good post Kevin.

George

Old thread, but thought I'd throw 2c in as I have had this argument so much, and have lived in half a dozen of each.

Qld'ers are old houses, period. Just because they were built 50 odd years ago, doesn't mean the workmanship was better. They used to do spec homes then too, and often with less trade qualifications. Therefore, you can get things right out of square without considering subsidence and other time factors.

Being older and wood, they are much more subject to termite damage. A relaitve spent $85k repairing damage to his period Qld'er.

They are built to have breezes cool them. Hence if you want to keep insects and burglars out, you have to ugly them up with security screens and grills over all those biggish windows and french doors. This kills 'the look'. With those bigger windows, comes more dust from the burbs. Check the ceiling for dust if you don't believe me.

Wooden floors are noisy. Most Qld'ers have air vents above the bedroom doors, so noise travels everywhere in a Qld'er. Working from home with kids or wife around is just not on, unless you build in downstairs, and those upstairs aren't stomping around or playing music.

They are all wood, hence a fire is disastrous.

Generally, the large verandahs are underutilized and just collect dust.

Floor plans are also a compromise, and space is not well utilized. Storage is also a problem, unless you build in. Lounge and family rooms tend to be smaller and not set close to kitchen, and modern families need a kitchen overlooking lounge because that's where most downtime is spent.

They are not as cool as everyone makes out. In Qld summers at night, there is rarely a breeze, hence if the house heated up during the day, the rooms stay hot till 2am and effects ability to sleep.

They are not designed to be air conditioned efficiently, with their tall ceilings and larger windows.

They are colder in winter. Most don't make use of a northerly aspect, so there is no passive heating in winter.

The larger verandahs make them darker inside, hence many end up needing skylights over kitchen, bath, toilet.

Birds and other fauna love setting up home on all the fancy woodwork. Possums seem always to get into the crawl space that much easier in Qlders. and they can keep you up all night.

There are very very few examples of quality comfortable Qld'ers in Brisbane.

Brick 4 Me

I made a choice at the beginning of my investment journey that I would stick to brick IP's. Have so far stuck to my plan but I guess I will have to weigh up each deal on its merits. For me, there is so much less to tidy up with regards to value adding for additional equity. These are only my opinions, there are many out there who've done really well out of old timber places [READ: Brenda] :)
JIM

I don't really like Queenlanders, unless it was one of those huge modernised ones on the front pages of the courier mail with river/city views.

Old houses scare me, especially if it has a history. The thought of someone possibly dying int it, even if it was peaceful death, frightens me.

Back