would you consider these tenants?

Family with a 20 and 12 yo daughers, not too bad, no pets, good. But, supposedly they sold their house so no rental history and are buying/setting up a kebab business. so I'm wondering if they really have the money, or just want to get in and not pay.

I took on a similar tenant who had sold up and wanted to rent. They were fine, always paid on time and no issues when they moved out.

Are we allowed to ask for mortgage repayment history or some other savings history under the Privacy Act? If so, maybe that would ease your mind that they were regular with payments.

Did they sell the home recently? Can you contact the real estate agent who they sold with for a reference to see how they kept their own property? Photos? Google the address and old listings/pics may come up. As for their repayment history, if they don't offer it (as in paper statements) then I'd be suss on them.

As them their previous address. A little creative investigation will be fairly straight forward from there and answer a lot of questions.

What's the name of their business? You can do a free search on http://www.abr.business.gov.au/ to determine how long they've been established, if they're GST registered, etc. If they're not GST registered you might want to be conerned.

As said, check them out. At the very least ask for the name of the RE agent who sold their property or ask for evidence, i.e., settlement letter from the sale.

Just remember that EVERY tenant was once a first-timer.
Marg

In addition to the above suggestions on pre-selection due diligence, perhaps offer them a six month lease to begin with and ask for rent pre-payment of the entire six months. This may weed them out of they're not serious or cashed.

In addition to the above suggestions on pre-selection due diligence, perhaps offer them a six month lease to begin with and ask for rent pre-payment of the entire six months. This may weed them out of they're not serious or cashed.

Good idea, but check that this is allowed under your state's leglislation.
Marg

I had a prospective tenant who recently sold and when I went into their old listing I found photos of their house with multiple holes in the walls.

If they do that with their own house,what will they do with mine.
Unsuccessful application.;)

I accepted an application from a tenant who had sold his house of 10+ years, also had been self-employed but newly employed (so even less to back his application). :eek:

RP Data backed up the sale & price achieved, new employer reference checked out fine, knew some of his contacts who backed up his character. Check, check, check......

Tenant took on a 1 year lease, fully paid up front. That's the proof of the pudding. :D

It is illegal in Victoria to accept rent more than 1 month in advance. But I'd consider leasing out to them.

good gov interference : )

one thing to ask, but something completely diff for the gubberment to prohibit someone wanting to pay their lease up front

tarolf

A house I have had the same thing, applicants had sold their home and wanted to rent closer to work. PM did a rpdata search on the house, saw it was indeed sold, checked out the listing photos for cleanliness, gave them the goahead. Have been great tenants so far.

It is illegal in Victoria to accept rent more than 1 month in advance. But I'd consider leasing out to them.

In NSW it is contrary to the Act for the landlord or agent to ask for more than 4 weeks rent in advance but NOT illegal to accept more if the tenant offers. Big difference - how else could a tenant pay monthly?

when i sold my house and was renting i stappled by bank account and sale flyer to the property. I would say any decent owner makes a brilliant tenant because owning is **** loads harder than renting.

Stupid government laws.

How bout we write a lease where the rent is $15,600 per month (52x300), but as a special offer the landlord will only charge the first month and the next 11 months are free?

I accepted an application from a tenant who had sold his house of 10+ years, also had been self-employed but newly employed (so even less to back his application). :eek:

RP Data backed up the sale & price achieved, new employer reference checked out fine, knew some of his contacts who backed up his character. Check, check, check......

Tenant took on a 1 year lease, fully paid up front. That's the proof of the pudding. :D

Wow, thats impressive.

I thought for residential tenancis, this is illegal.

I think for commercial, retail though is a different story. (I know Dazz and others would know).

Another plus for commercial........

F

Aaron, it's illegal to ask for more than one calendar months rent in advance - not to accept in Vic.

Tenant can pay however they like (as long as they're not in arrears), you just can't request/demand any more.

Just anupdate. Got (what sounds like) perfect tenants. Mum and dad and one 15 yo. Both in long term good jobs and daughter wants into the local school. Am relieved as I disregarded the pm advice not to up the rent and the previous tenants gave notice. Was upset with myself but found out later that (a) she had had a baby now 2yo while in the house and is now pregnant with second(and me saying I would never accept young children) and (b) mum was living there too and they have decided to go their seperate ways so sounds to me like they were going to give notice anyway. So have new tenants at new rate with only a couple of days vacant.

Why not? Did you use a comprehensive tenant screening process? One thing I have recommended on occasion in PM forums is resident screening process that provides a scoring system based on a larger dataset. The reason I say this is because the factors that you mention (ie, 2 daughters, recently sold house, etc..) are all variables that are hard to gauge as a benefit or a detriment from the perspective of one or two management companies. :confused:

Really, have you looked at any of the larger property management software companies? Might try LeaseStar's resident screening options to help guide you through this kind of decision making.

Back