Would you consider this tenant's application for a property? ($ issue)

My brother is needing furnished accommodation in Canberra area for approx 6mth next year due to a work promotion opportunity (temp transfer). I have been trying to help him find somewhere but we are having all sorts of problems and he has to be there early January....looking into it though I dont think he'll get approved for what he needs. What do you think?

As a landlord or agent, would you consider (and on what terms) someone looking to rent something that cost about 70% of weekly income (leaving about $350 a fortnight for expenses - no commitments other than daily living though). He is well aware that this is not theoretically affordable, but has enough in savings to cover 6mths rent and would pay upfront if it would help, and plans to use this money so that he can take up the opportunity (short term sacrifice for long term gain is the plan!). How could he do this - what kind of things can he put on the application etc? Is it best to be completely honest? What will the agents want to see?

And anyone got any recommendations for places in Canberra? Its hard to organise from interatate as everyone wants you to attend inspections it seems, and mist want 12mth leases....different to brisbane!

Well if he pays upfront he should have absolutely no issues at all - and should be able to get a good discount as well!

Alternatively he could look on gumtree and rent out a spare room of someone's as this will probably be a lot less expensive than a fully furnished apartment. Buy a cheap bed at a garage sale and problem solved!

Invest the savings and reap the rewards!

Most agents would put a big question mark over > 50% net income on rent. The risk of rent money being spent on other things in an emergency is significantly higher.

+1 on the share house recommendation.

If he really doesn't want to share, he could target private landlords.

If I met him, or was contacted by him with an offer of six months rent in advance, for a signed six month contract, I would take him on.

I don't agree that he might get a discount for paying front though.

Why doesn't he rent something cheaper and buy some cheap furniture from Fantastic Furniture? Doesn't have to be second hand. Can get everything, including the bed for a couple of thou. Then only needs fridge (can be 2nd hand) and a few cooking utensils from BigW.

Six months in a serviced apartment - or furnished apartment - is too long and too expensive IMO. Okay if only for a couple of weeks and the boss is paying.

If he really doesn't want to share, he could target private landlords.

If I met him, or was contacted by him with an offer of six months rent in advance, for a signed six month contract, I would take him on.

I don't agree that he might get a discount for paying front though.

i give no discounts for cash up front.

Shared accommodation is without question his best bet.
He should perhaps look in the area of the local uni as that's a good place to start for that type of housing.

He'll pay a little more for a fully furnished house to share with someone but it will be significantly cheaper than letting a place all by himself.

Given also it's a 6 month term (I'm assuming until he can find permanent work) it will be much easier to share than find a 6 month lease.

Gumtree as others have mentioned is a great place to start as he may also find a granny flat that could be closer to his budget.

Good luck

B.D

Tell him to look on Allhomes.com.au --- this is the website everyone in Canberra looks on for realestate. It includes share accomm.

Being absolutely stupid here, why wouldn't your brother rent a cheaper unit (possibly better location), pay $1000-$2000 to Fantastic Furniture for a bed, lounge etc and claim all this as lwa/temporary accommodation?

Why isn't the company kicking in a relocation allowance?

Thanks for your replies and advice. Most of it I have already suggested or it has been looked into. I agree the share house is the best option, but he will not go into a share house again (he's over 30 now and had bad experiences in the past, also has a lot of study/exams to do as part of his job training and works shift work so doesn't see that this will fit well in a share house).

I ended up flying down to Canberra with him for the day to look at some properties as he could not apply without going for inspections. I guess if you were a local this isn't so bad. We saw over 10, mixed price from high $200 to nearly $500 a week, some furnished and some not. One the agent couldn't get into (wrong keys) so we were not able to see that one (and thus can't apply for it), a great option we saw in price and what he needed we were told at the inspection that it already had an application on it that had been approved, and other than what was on that day as a planned open house, only 1 agency was willing to arrange an inspection of a property (organised in advance)....so we didn't get to see many that were on the list, which means they are not able to be in the running. Or they want more than 6mth contract. Very frustrating! I have to be honest though, maybe its just the few we saw, but everything under $400 a week (unfurnished) was pretty awful.

Unfortunately for him, because the transfer was 'optional' (ie. dangle a carrot of a promotional position), he is only getting a very small lump sum amount (just over $1000) to cover moving expenses, and no other allowance. The only thing he has going for him is that hopefully with the new position he will be getting paid a 'Supervisor' type allowance each shift which will increase his pay signiifcantly, but that is not always guaranteed and hard to prove on payslips (as he hasn't started that part of the job yet).

Must be a lot more demand in Canberra than supply though from what I'm seeing....might be a good place for me to invest in next!

Around $400/pw for a standard 2-3 bed townhouse is about right in Canberra. My eldest recently moved there and ended up going private because she lived in Canberra and couldn't get to the inspections either ... stupid rule when so many are moving interstate.

But - furnished would be even more expensive.

Have a look on that website mentioned before as a lot of private landlords advertise on there.

I'm thinking of how much cheaper and easier it would be to rent an unfurnished and get 2nd hand cheapies from the Salvos and Gumtree...

Good luck with it.

Seriously reconsider the share house option. Due to cost of housing in Canberra there are a lot of over 30's professionals that still do the share house thing (a far higher propertion than I've seen in other cities). Also due to the transient population I'd say it's higher.

Allhomes really is the way to go though - either for share or rental (most private LL's in Canberra will advertise on there).

Final option would be granny flat. There's a fair few of these in Canberra but unfortunately most are by word of mouth only.

I just happened to be in Dickson in Canberra last week and looked in the window of LJ Hooker - short term lease available on a fully furnished place in the city, make sure your brother offers to pay his six months rent up front to put their mind at ease, then he shouldn't have much of an issue!!!! Good luck

Back