Would you get a Pest Inspection on Sydney fibro house?

We have an IP in the inner west of sydney and will shortly be moving into it..... We have not done a recent pest inspection on it as it has been rented out for several years.

My initial query was would you get a pest inspection on a large fibro house? My thoughts are yes given the eratic weather we have in Sydney and knowing we havent done one for 7+ years. Could NYBODY POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION OF A GOOD COMPANY TO USE AND THEIR FEEDBACK/THOUGHTS AS BEST OPTION? (ie get a full spray or just initial inspection for insects/white ants etc)/

Thanks in advance, Rich

We have an IP in the inner west of sydney and will shortly be moving into it..... We have not done a recent pest inspection on it .... for 7+ years.

Hi Rich

When I did the Course for Builder's Registration the lecturer had some real horror stories regarding termites in brick veneer houses on concrete slabs

Even steel framed houses are subject to termite infestation

Termites eat the cellulose in wood. They eat cellulose in anything - paper, cardboard boxes, timber frames, timber skirting boards, cupboards, roofing timbers - even window frames.

Often the first anyone notices termite activity ie wither (a) hearing them in the walls 'chomp, chomp', of (b) when a skirting board is bumped and crumbles away - nothing left but the paint!

As to which company is best for the job: I recently had a swarm of bees notified to me by the council. I engaged the first company which could attend to the problem, paid them over the phone, they were on site within a half hour and the bees were gone.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Kristine

If you've got pests eating asbestos I think you'd be better of calling Captain America.

tee hee :D

I would check out the place myself, and if I saw anything suspicious, get the pros in. I'd be even less concerned if the place used steel or cypress frames. If in doubt though, best to get it checked out.

Last edited:
Steve, 0418 274 099

http://www.ausinspect.com.au/

He did the pest/building on a recent purchase, was very good. He since did a chemical treatment since the house is in a termite prone area. $1600 and that lasts 8 years, so $200 a year is a small price to pay for knowing things are likely to be OK.

We have an IP in the inner west of sydney and will shortly be moving into it..... We have not done a recent pest inspection on it as it has been rented out for several years.

My initial query was would you get a pest inspection on a large fibro house? My thoughts are yes given the eratic weather we have in Sydney and knowing we havent done one for 7+ years. Could NYBODY POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION OF A GOOD COMPANY TO USE AND THEIR FEEDBACK/THOUGHTS AS BEST OPTION? (ie get a full spray or just initial inspection for insects/white ants etc)/

Thanks in advance, Rich

Thanks for the feedback - I will investigate local ones and let you know how i go.

I think an inspection is a must for this kind of house.... fibro (no concrete slab)

Attachments

• termite.gif
    termite.gif
    19.6 KB · Views: 208
Guys I had Steve come out from Ausinspect,,,,,, carried out a pest inspection including a video with comments on work required, ocndition of building etc.... Good value for $280....

Unfortunately he recommended the termidor treatment (despite no current termite activity although there was previous termite damage)..... I am sure most would recommend this as it is better to be safe than sorry I guess! Cost is $1,800 for basic treatment so not cheap! :rolleyes:

I'd say it would be a rare house in the inner west that has not had termites at some stage.

Even with a treatment, you'll still need to check. Can you get under the house? If so it's not a big deal to make your own annual check.

Cost is $1,800 for basic treatment so not cheap! :rolleyes:

Funny how people are happy to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a house, and if its an invesment, pay out hundreds a week in losses, yet baulk at $200-$300 equivalent a year to ensure their property is protected against termites.

People nickle and dime so many important things in property purchases... like happily spending $800k on a house, then scrimping on a $500 work from home conveyancer to handle the deal.

Back