Would you kick druggies out oy your IP

Years ago I was looking after a farm for a bloke, who rented the house out to a third party. One day there was a police raid on the house and they recovered quite a few large marijuana plants and a stolen motor scooter. The guy living there at the time was charged and moved out pretty quick (moved to QLD apparently, yeah right!). As the property was rented in his mothers name, the rent continued and his brother moved in.

To me, illegal activity would be reason enough to teminate a rent agreement (but I don't know the rules of this). He had also lifted the carpet and cut a small hole (15cm x 15cm) in the wooden floor with the intention of running wires to his hydroponics and bypassing the electricity meter. The brother stayed on for a while, he was ok except for being handy around the house and fixing things that he had no idea how to fix. The PM was ringing me all the time with problems which was annoying, as I was the farm manager and had nothing at all to do with the house.

Question: Is illegal activity and/or deliberate damage to the house enough reason to terminate a rental agreement?

Laws vary by state. Is the IP in Victoria?

If so, 14 days notice to vacate.

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/CA25...nting~&2=090-Ending+a+lease+or+residency~&3=~

The Y-man

Thanks Y-man, it is in Vic.

Now that I know that you can kick them out, would you? The rent was still getting paid and they agreed to fix the damage, not professionally though. The owner lived in Qld at the time. If it was my house I would have them out, mainly because I live and work in the same area and I don't like having those type of people around. Remember this is a rural area where everyone knows everyone.

Now that I know that you can kick them out, would you? The rent was still getting paid and they agreed to fix the damage, not professionally though. The owner lived in Qld at the time. If it was my house I would have them out, mainly because I live and work in the same area and I don't like having those type of people around. Remember this is a rural area where everyone knows everyone.

if they were producing yes. if they were using small amounts probably no - but i guess you'd be unlikely to find out about it.

Whatever happens, get a condition report and photos before you give them notice. Hope thye have LL insurance too.

When you give them notice, they tend to trash the joint and knock off everything not built in - well even the built in stuff like fireplaces!

The Y-man

Riff Raff = Trouble and who needs it!

If it was me I say definately they have to go. If you want to do it subtley just dont renew the lease on expiry. Tell them owner wants to work on the house.

You do have a lease dont you?:eek:

Last edited:
Back