Would you move out of the city?

I've relocated a couple of times for work, but always lived in a state capital city. Though not in the city itself... in the suburbs. I've visited majority of the towns in WA and SA, and most are lovely to visit.

I think I could be happy in any city, but not in a country town.

I've been "bush" for 5 years or so in Western QLD and NQ. I made the change due to work, but more importantly, to get ahead. The cheaper rent/entry cost, less travel to work, more money (in my job anyway) and 300% increase in making new friends has all made it excellent for me. My wife however, is a city girl and she is struggling. Family is important and unfortunately they are down in the SE corner. So it's a compromise either way.

Last edited:
Of all the people I know who've moved to regional cities in Vic, all are extremely happy with their moves AFAIK, and most would never move back to Melb. I could live very happily in Traralgon or Shepparton. But alas, kids in school, friends, business etc, so i'll stay here in Doncaster. We are creature of habit.

On Newcastle, I would reckon that it offers probably the best all round lifestyle in Australia. I've been there a few times, but no longer know anyone there. Not too big/small, great climate and natural attractions, etc, etc.
If i were dropped from outer space, with no history, into Oz, with a choice of where to settle, then it would be Newcastle for me.

I also admire those who can move to an Asian etc. country for lifestyle and happiness, financial reasons. A very big step.

Time and quality of life are more important than "stuff". So true.

I love the city and could never live in the country.

My home is a sanctuary to me even though it's very close to the CBD. I don't feel the need to get away. Infact knowing I have many people around me, even when I don't want to see them, is comforting and reassuring.

Moving away from the city could simplify your life, but I think the way you go about things, your attitude, and your expectations, make more of a difference, and unless you're realistic you could find you're just as unhappy after a move.

We did the move from the city down to the Peninsula over 12 years ago now.

These days, my commute is about 1 minute by car, or about 12 minutes by foot.

Love the ease of life, the quiet, the lack of hustle and bustle.

We are an hour to the City if we need to go.

mmh, we did the BIG move "out of town"...Renting in the inner north of canberra up until recently to our first property in Queanbeyan. Strange...we paid 300k less to move "interstate" than if we stayed in the inner north (based on average house prices), yet we seem to be closer to our respective work places- we both work in Barton (near Manuka).

Back