Would you offer a rent reduction?

Sounds like a sealer was not used before the top coats,
Try using a sealer over the old coats before top coating,
But sounds like this might be an ongoing issue.

Big difference between undercoat and undercoat sealer.

This is my thought too. We bought an IP that had a false "office" ceiling installed with fluro inserts, just like in an office..... yuck in a house.

After having spent weeks getting this from "original" to "ready to rent" and having painted the whole house inside, hubby (at about 6pm the Friday before the open house to find a tenant at 10am next morning - and me with little children and a baby) decided to rip out the ugly ceiling. I walked in and nearly cried.

The whole lot was a mass of peeling paint. Now we knew why the old chap who owned it had installed a dropped ceiling. Mum took the kids and we scraped and sanded and painted that ceiling until well into the evening.

I called my husband a few choice names :D.

We had ongoing issues with that ceiling and I think it probably was never sealed before being painted. It has been sealed now and painted several times. The peeling has stopped but up close it isn't exactly pretty. Being a queenslander and up very high, we can get away with it.

I seem to recall a painter telling us what to use to halt the peeling, but cannot remember what it was. Maybe some sort of etch primer or something???

The inside of my place is ready to be rented out, agent been chasing me as he has a number of people wanted to rent the place. I tell agent thats ok but I have to finish the garage and driveway (council hold ups) just make sure you tell everyone that. I get 5 people through the place 3 applications. One couple have asked for a $40 a week reduction in rent till garage has been finished. :rolleyes:.

Suffice to say they move in on Friday knowing FULL well the garage will be done ASAP after council sort thier stuff out. No rent reduction.

Brian

Can't blame 'em for giving it a shot I suppose. :)

We decided not to offer anything either, and not to do the painting at this time either. The painter we got the quote from seemed to think he could fix the problem but suggested it would be better done when the place was empty, so that's what we are going to tell the PM to pass on to the tenants. We have no intention (at this stage) of chucking them out to do the work, but if they find they can't live with it then they have the option to move.

Priscilla, thanks for that tip, will keep that in mind if the situation ever arises again.

Edited to add ... Hubby said he tried using a sealer when he painted, but thanks for that tip as well. We have another place that has a sort of stucco effect on the ceiling. I am now thinking I might know why. LOL. Strange as it sounds it doesn't look too bad.

Last edited:
I had a ceiling repainted only last year under the same circumstances, however this tenant is good.

The painting was done in a couple of days and I am pretty sure that she doesn't work. No rent reduction was even considered as this was something that the tenant wanted done.

If anything this would be a future rental increase.

Nope.

They want the ceiling repainted, then they must adhere to the conditions as a result - ie move or cover your stuff, as much as it is an inconvenience for them, they chose to rent (and renew) the lease in the state it was, so suck it up.

Back