Would you put the rent up?

Something I forgot to add is that when looking at the rental amount that people are paying in the area, are you looking at the price of new (to the market) rentals, or what long term renters in the area are already paying? Sometimes there is a vast difference in this amount.

Many landlords leave their long term tenants on a lower rental amount than they would receive if their tenants left and they had to find new tenants. When talking about market rents, you should be looking for what the new tenants are paying, not what the long termers are already paying - if you know what I mean.

If there really is zero vacancy rates, then that says to me, that you could easily put the rent up, and if these tenants leave you will still easily get someone else in there place.

Another thing to add is that the cost of moving house is expensive AND inconvenient. Making small increases regularly is the way to go. If the tenant likes where they live, they are unlikely to move for the sake of $5 or $10 per week.

Sorry for that confusion, Fudge and Sanj. :D

Joe D: another interesting thought. Not charging market rent is the same as giving money away, isn't it. I should go and put $1500 into an interest compounding calculator and see what it turns into in the 22 years till I retire. :)

Thanks Skater. I do have a property agent but absolutely hopeless. I'm too embarrassed even to tell you how bad. It's another case of managing the property manager. I was thinking a lot about sacking them and doing it myself, but perhaps I could continue to manage it through the agent with a clear plan in mind, i.e. rent rises every 6 months etc. I don't want to go to the tribunal though, so I'm going to send (through agent) an immediate letter raising rent to $135, and continue with small rent rises every 6 months. Thank you so much for all that typing. I really, really appreciate it. :)

ETA. Did the compound interest maths (via calculator not brain...) and it's $75k at 6%, and $98k at 8%!! Does that sound right??

Last edited:
Back