wow this is a record!

my new tenant over christmas has missed their 2nd week payment and is now severely in arrears, and has been issued a termination notice

all I can say is wow!

Is this the first payment after the initial 2 weeks they pay to start the lease?

They would have received a breach notice - yes? To remedy breach within 7 days.

If this is the start of the tenancy you are entitled to full lease break costs through the bond

Is this the first payment after the initial 2 weeks they pay to start the lease?
yes that is correct!

They would have received a breach notice - yes? To remedy breach within 7 days.
yes that is correct!

If this is the start of the tenancy you are entitled to full lease break costs through the bond

yes that is correct, but being two weeks behind on rent, plus the christmas period, plus any advertising period, plus their releasing fee, the month bond is pretty much all gone now!!

yeah it sux, but thats part of being a landlord is, I just didnt extpect it after 2 weeks

yes that is correct, but being two weeks behind on rent, plus the christmas period, plus any advertising period, plus their releasing fee, the month bond is pretty much all gone now!!

yeah it sux, but thats part of being a landlord is, I just didnt extpect it after 2 weeks

So, who selected this tenant?

Don't worry about it, just take action. Financial loss should be zero at the end after claiming bond and possible insurance claim if it ends up exceeding bond - could happen if tenant appeals tribunal decisions and has the lease reinstated.

Your job (or managers job) now is to manage this under the current circumstances as well as possible.

all forms need to be served ON TIME.

If they are in breach period, ensure the second notice is on time too and done properly otherwise tribunals will void it.

Note however that a tribunal is likely to issue a payment plan if this is first offense for the tenant. - Manage that plan precisely as the tenants are likely to not follow it. It's annoying as it delays action and increases debt owed and increases likelihood of insurance claims later.

Your job now is to show mitigation of losses through proper and legal action. This will make tribunals and claims easier later on.

Advertise property as soon as the lease is terminated by tribunal. Tenants are likely to not allow inspections from new prospective tenants if they are being pursued legally. Force it anyway through the appropriate legal notice and letters. Note and record if they deny access as this prolongs the vacancy period and they are liable for it.

i get grinchy when a tenant doesnt pay! especially two weeks in!
I have had to be grinchier. Very long story short: I paid an agent to find me a tenant with a condition I had to approve the tenant before the lease was signed. Agent found a tenant and signed a lease. Tenant called me 4 times in 2 days including at 8pm to pick arguments - twice about the asbestos fence and twice about how to pay rent. This was all before the tenant had moved in and I started to get really worried about what might happen if they actually moved in. I asked my partner to cancel the lease on Christmas eve because I couldn't bring myself to do it. I let the agent know I had cancelled the lease and never heard from either the agent or tenant again. It was horrible but the alternative was worse :mad:

We issued a notice today, to the tenant who moved in on 20 Nov.
She paid remainder of Nov,
3/4 of dec
...and nothing for Jan.

Her lease expires at end of Jan...

I wonder if there are any mitigating circumstances for the tenant...would be such a pain in the **** to have to move again so quickly - surely people think of the consequences when not paying their rent on time!

Back