Wraps - opinions needed

I know the whole wraps discussion has gone on various times and people are for or against them, but am interested in anyone who uses them as part of their strategy. I personally like the idea of CF+ and helping someone buy their own home.

If you use wraps, how have you found them and any pointers you can provide as to what to watch out for when using them?

At what point should your due dilligence should be relaxed to a certain extent? What I mean is that you have identified a buyer and agreed to the terms and they have identified a house they wish to buy. However on paper as a true IP it does not stack up well in your opinion because it is in a bad area, value is falling in the current market, may be difficult to rent out/sell on if the wrap falls apart with the buyer defaulting, capital growth may not be great long term etc...

I am thinking you can do all the due dilligence in the world on the buyer but things happen and circumstances change, so while under the wrap the IP will be CF+, in the back of my mind I am thinking that is all well and good but if the buyer defaults I could be left with an IP I can't rent or sell or sell on to another buyer. So how much do you need to look at the fact that it is CF+ plus it is also a decent investment should things go wrong. In other words, just because it is CF+ doesn't mean it is a good IP???

Thoughts anyone...thanks

I had a nasty experience with my one and only wrap in the ACT and was fortunate to get out of that one with some capital gain after some renovation to fix the damages left behind. I am not sure what it's like in NSW but in ACT you have to take out a credit provider licence for all partners underwriting a wrap and it's costly. Basically the wrap arrangement is viewed as exploitative by the ACT and some other state governments and lenders are withdrawing from this market because of the bad publicity generated by evicted wrappees. :(

Make sure you do not overlook any sign of credit problem from the wrappees especially even small ones. It may be a sign of increasing laxity in meeting financial obligations. :eek: Wrap can be stressful with occasion for costs for solicitor/barrister, reno, credit provider licence and special insurance, to name a few. :eek: :(

What turned out well for me in the end is to get rid of the wrappees because of arrears in payments, evicting them through the courts, did some reno and sold the property. The market was good then (and still is) but I am not sure whether you can use the same exit strategy in NSW nowadays. Be careful when using this strategy.

mmm

Hi Shay

My Wife, Karen and I have been running a vendor finance real eatate investment business for almost 5 years now and have managed to do over 30 vendor finance transactions.

However we believe that our real wealth will come from our buy and holds so we use the CF+ vendor finance business to, in part, support our buy & holds.

We tend to overcome the challenge you mention, i.e. getting stuck with a property in what we call a "war zone", by using the "get the property first" model. This way, you acquire the property in an area that you'd be happy to buy a buy & hold in and, if you get it back at some point in the future, you can sell it again or turn it into a buy & hold.

Because an Instalment Sales Contract (Wrap) is controlled by the Uniform Consumer Credit Code, this is the strategy we use our highest level of due dilligence for. If potential buyers don't make the grade there, we may consider them for a Lease/Option (Rent To Own). The controlling legislation for the Lease/Option is the Residential Tenancies Act which a lot of investors a pretty familiar with. After a period of proving themselves in a Lease/Option, we may move our clients over to an Instalment Sales Contract.

Due to our use of the "get the property first" model we don't have a problem getting a property back. Sometimes we've on sold it again and sometimes we've converted it to a buy & hold.

Overall it's been a very enjoyable and profitable business. Good luck.

Cheers, Paul

Like Paul and Karen...

We too have been running a vendor finance business for over 5 years and have done a similar number of transactions. This is our full-time business.

Unlike them we get our buyers first as we feel that if they find the house they want within the price range we feel they can afford, they will be more committed to buying it. We do take care to make sure that they don't over commit themselves.

Of course we do our Due Diligence and get all appropriate documentation of incomes,rent ledger and of course Credit Reports before we take buyers on.
The beauty of doing it this way is that there are no holding costs(ie mortgage to pay) that you could incurr doing the "get the house first" model if it takes a month or two to sell it.

Bad Credit Marks aren't necessarily a bad omen. There are so many people out there who made a mistake as a young person, or got bad advice and went bankrupt over small debts, or just got caught by a mobile telephone bill that they never received.... They just need a second chance and they are very grateful.

A very few do default and not just because of being unreliable! Stuff happens- marriages break up etc. Stuff that could happen to anyone.
And if it does we get the house back and re-sell it again on a wrap.
That's a shame but still ok-part of how it goes.

We meet our potential buyers first and after meeting so many you do get a feel for those who are serious,who really want to own their own home, have thought their finances through and are worth taking on.

We enjoy this business too! It's a win-win-win for everyone. Our buyers,our investors and us!

Cheers,
Tamar:)

Hiya

Installment contract finance can get sticky if disclosed as such, and getting wrappees financed out above 80 % lvr can also be a hard gig.

This doesnt mean its impossible, just dont expect to walk into bank x and get a 95 % lend

ta
rolf

I take on board what Rolf wrote about disclosing an IC to a lender and expecting them to refinance to a 95% LVR but my experience is slightly different.

We started providing Vendor Finance in Qld in 1996 and formed First Home Owners Group Pty Ltd in 2000. This Company is now the largest provider of Vendor Finance in Qld with currently well over 100 properties owned between me and the other 2 directors. We never use or have need to use investors so all decisions ae made in house.

All of our funding has been fully disclosed through 2 of the major 4 Banks and due to the volume of deals that we were doing ended up going all the way to HQ credit level.

I think anyone starting off a VF business now may find financing these deals a little harder than a few years ago but done properly and in volume can be achieved.

Unlike the others who have posted we always credit assess the buyer first and let them go and locate the property. We offer deals such as balloon payments, shared equity and cash flow loans within the wrap and have a default rate of less than 1%.

Qld is slightly different to a lot of the States when it comes to the FHOG so cash flow issues need to be well managed.

Hi Again,

Actually, Richard, I did state that we get our buyers first and that they go and find houses at the price we both agree that they can afford. We actually ask them to do a list of 5 or so so we can negotiate well as we(or our investor) is buying it initially.

I also said that we get their Credit Reports so we know what exactly their problem is and when they will be "clean" again.

With respect to needing investors,we don't find having investors to be a problem and enjoy sharing the fruits of our knowledge. They certainly appreciate it. It doesn't affect our ability to work out the best deal for all concerned and that is what is offered.

There are many people who have fantastic borrowing ability but don't have the time (or knowledge) to utilise it effectively to produce more income for themselves. They are happy to become our investors. Also people wanting to learning how to do this invest with us so that they can get hands-on experience.

I agree,Rolf that you can't expect your wrappees to be able to walk into the bank to get an 95%LVR loan. You are looking at an 80%LVR loan.You are relying on property prices rising and also that they add some equity by doing some renovating themselves.

However, once their problem is fixed if you really want to get out of the deal, you can always do a 2nd carry-back mortgage - if the property vals up. We usually tell all concerned that it'll take between 2-5 years depending on on the above factors. We want our Back-Ends but Positive Cashflow isn't such a bad thing!

It is great reading about the different ways people are doing this style of financing and that we're having success with them.

Cheers,
Tamar:)

What an interesting way to invest into property. I had heard of Vendor Finance bu never knew it was so popular.

I like the idea of turning it into a full time business and thank each and every one of you for posting.

I am currently in a position to buy my first IP this time next year and cant wait.

Im not sure if wrapping is for me and my investment goals, though I will definitly be thinking about it and studying more and more. Are there any sites or information I can read about how wraps are set up etc?

Cheers

Mick

Surely with the plethora of lending products and mortgage originators out there, 100% LVR loans, FHOGs, no docs and lo docs loans, etc, someone who can afford to pay a wrap with a 20% increase on asking price of the house and a 1.5% premium on the mortgage interest rate can find a credit product *somewhere* that obviates the need to use a wrap? Assuming that the wrappee (or is it wrappor) is *fully informed* of the situation vis-a-vis inflating the house price and the interest repayments, I can't see why most people can't arrange regular finance. The single mobile bill owing that they never received argument etc doesn't convince me -- and, further, if your wrappor has a habit of conveniently skipping out on bills regularly, I guess their chances of really staying in the place without going into arrears and paying above the odds on ordinary finance are slim? Maybe they are just hooked in by the prospect of 'no money down' without thinking it through in terms of their long term ability to repay? How many of your wrappors have you had to evict as a percentage? This is why it is unpopular with many state govts, presently illegal in SA, and so on...

Steve McKnight has produced the Wrap Kit but I pretty sure it's currently out of print. Rick Otton has produced the Wrap Pack. It can be found at http://www.rickotton.com

Funny how Steve McKnight's Wrap Kit is 'out of print'. I would have thought that any spruiker trying to make a buck would never go out of print with any of their titles, packs, kits, camps, etc -- unless that particular work has been seen as so unethical and so unpopular that he has decided to lay low for a while with it and focus on other things, e.g. attention from Jenman or the law (sometimes Jenman IS the law). How can a spruiker's work otherwise go 'out of print' if people are willing to pay for it, and spruikers rely on their sales to make a living?

I see that 'Rick Otton' is still happy to take that road though.

Hi Sean,

Here's one way to look at wrapping.

Many Australians have purchased a home with a loan from a bank. At present the interest rates charged by first tier lenders are around 8-9% and while high, people pay it.

But the banks buy this money via securities for a lower rate. In effect they are buying cheap money and wrapping it to the public at a higher rate.

With all the news about the sub-prime mortgage crisis, people know that banks are wrapping them money - yet they are willing to pay a premium. In fact billions of dollars is wrapped every day to the public.

What's worse is that registered banks are authorized by the Government to create money via fractional lending.

The Reserve Bank sets a ratio between deposits and lending and based on this banks can lend amounts multiple times more than they have in actual cash.

Whereas a private wrapper may mark up a property by 20%, a bank is legally allowed to mark up money by a factor of 20.

So if we compare apples with apples, on the one hand you have a wrapper marking up the money they bought via a first mortgage by +0-3% and the property by 0-20% and commercial banks marking up their money by a factor of x0-20 and +0-5%

I don't know if its unpopular with "many" state Governments(?). I've personally spoken to W.A. Dept of Fair Trading, I even invited them to speak at a Vendor Finance meeting once and their only concern was that lenders needed to be registered, just like a person driving a car needs to be license.

And in VIC, I spoke with the Chairman of the Consumer Credit Code for Australia and he was pretty reasonable about it.

Which Government officials have you spoken to that told you that it was unpopular?

And the reason terms contracts were banned in S.A. was because a developer sold an estate on terms contracts before it was subdivided into separate titles, and then they went bust.

People complained and the S.A. banned terms contracts, however lease-options are still accepted.

I know of one eviction case. That was a the result of a failure to meet payments - however the wrapper at the time, spent 9 months trying to assist before finally issuing an eviction.

At the time of eviction, the wrap payments were below the median rent for the area. So in that case it was actually cheaper to buy the property via the wrap then it was to rent. And the wrappee's income had actually doubled during that time. So the situation surrounded to outcome was not related to the nature of the wrap itself, rather an external factor.

Regards
Michael Gruber

Hi Sean,

Here's one way to look at wrapping.

Many Australians have purchased a home with a loan from a bank. At present the interest rates charged by first tier lenders are around 8-9% and while high, people pay it.

But the banks buy this money via securities for a lower rate. In effect they are buying cheap money and wrapping it to the public at a higher rate.
Yes they are. But you are charging another 2% on top of this again. In the US, I appreciate there are lots of strange problems with FICOs and so on that prevent people from borrowing -- the US is one of the most regimented countries in the 1st world despite its claims of 'freedom' and being the land of the brave and free -- but the higher risk US sub-prime market allowed even high credit risk applicants to borrow, albeit often at higher rates. However, credit extension is generally more liberal and less constricted in Australia, with a range of no docs, low docs, and similar loans as I mentioned above, with less onerous credit requirements. If someone can afford to pay 20% more for a house than market, and pay 2% over market interest rates, I still cannot understand why an existing lender will not lend to them at a lower rate than you are offering. There can only be something inherently uncreditworthy about that borrower. If it is simply that they are too impatient to get a deposit or some similar security, then the new Federal NRAS scheme should be able to help them out in saving a deposit -- apart from the old approaches like renting (which should allow you to save a deposit as well as it is a far lower amount than a mortgage), living at home, etc.

With all the news about the sub-prime mortgage crisis, people know that banks are wrapping them money - yet they are willing to pay a premium. In fact billions of dollars is wrapped every day to the public.

What's worse is that registered banks are authorized by the Government to create money via fractional lending.

The Reserve Bank sets a ratio between deposits and lending and based on this banks can lend amounts multiple times more than they have in actual cash.

Whereas a private wrapper may mark up a property by 20%, a bank is legally allowed to mark up money by a factor of 20.
All this is immaterial. You are describing fractional reserve banking. There is no logic in the comparisons you are making, it sounds more like a gently persuasive MLM-type spiel to attempt to legitimate something questionable. You are still charging 2% over the odds for the cost of money, and a 20% markup on a house to boot. You may be able to justify one, but both is difficult.

So if we compare apples with apples, on the one hand you have a wrapper marking up the money they bought via a first mortgage by +0-3% and the property by 0-20% and commercial banks marking up their money by a factor of x0-20 and +0-5%
My remarks still apply -- that a qualified and competent borrower should be able to go to a conventional lender and obtain cheaper finance and not overpay for a house.

I don't know if its unpopular with "many" state Governments(?). I've personally spoken to W.A. Dept of Fair Trading, I even invited them to speak at a Vendor Finance meeting once and their only concern was that lenders needed to be registered, just like a person driving a car needs to be license.
You mean they didn't want to be associated with the meeting.

And in VIC, I spoke with the Chairman of the Consumer Credit Code for Australia and he was pretty reasonable about it.
And how was he 'pretty reasonable' exactly?

I personally spoke to the President of the US last week about invading Russia, and he was 'pretty reasonable about it' too. Anyone can make any sort of statement like this without proof, it is not believable and it means nothing without evidence and exact knowledge of what was said and why.

I know of one eviction case. That was a the result of a failure to meet payments - however the wrapper at the time, spent 9 months trying to assist before finally issuing an eviction.
And yet the spruikers courses promote that if the wrappor gets into any trouble, you are able to evict them and start all over again with a new hopeful, and rinse and repeat as many times as you like. Just as the US subprime market is melting down due to unqualified borrowers getting into loans they can't repay, so will your wrappors.

At the time of eviction, the wrap payments were below the median rent for the area. So in that case it was actually cheaper to buy the property via the wrap then it was to rent.
I'm sorry, that is not possible, and it's way too glib. What was the price of that house vs the median price in that area? It would be easy to find an unsaleable dump in an otherwise good area and wrap it to a poorly qualified borrower. What were the circumstances of that borrower? At today's interest rates, asking prices for houses, and asking rents, there is no way known between two equivalent houses in an area, that one can be wrapped in a mortgage for less than the going rental rate -- otherwise every renter would be buying. This whole description smells to high heaven, I'm afraid. Do you think that I'm some sort of idiot that I'm not fully aware of today's cost of buying a house vs renting? Especially after a 2-fold increase in house prices over the last 7 years vs a CPI-only increase in rents? According to national statistics?

And the wrappee's income had actually doubled during that time. So the situation surrounded to outcome was not related to the nature of the wrap itself, rather an external factor.

The renter's income had doubled? That's quite remarkable -- how did they manage that? What was the 'external factor' given they were even more able to pay off this funny sounding wrap mortgage? Should I dig any further? What say you actually post up hard dollars and cents specifics and describe this mythical house and its wrappor buyer, and compare it to others in the mythical suburb in the mythical town somewhere in a mythical country with mythical house/rent prices. Thanks.

Oh, and an Internet search on your name brings up the following story, which is nothing like the one you have just told:

http://www.jenman.com.au/news_item.php?id=314,
http://www.jenman.com.au/news_article.php?id=140, and
http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Dangers-of-lending-scheme-hit-home/2004/12/23/1103391900303.html

According to the story, you evicted, or tried to evict, a family of wrappor clients 2 weeks before Christmas for falling into arrears, and received a great deal of negative press for doing so. They had spent a lot of money capitalising the property they were living in and stood to lose all of their mortgage payments and capitalisation money.

The first story above includes the following updates:

UPDATE: According to a report in the Sydney Morning Herald (December 24 2004), the NSW Minister for Fair Trading, Reba Meagher, says that wrapping poses "monumental risks" for consumers. Despite this, Ms Meagher has no plans to outlaw wrap contacts.

UPDATE: On December 16, a spokesperson for ANZ said, "These types of wrap financing arrangements do not comply with ANZ policy and are unacceptable."

What's been happening in the last 4 years exactly, and why does your erstwhile 'mentor' Steve McKnight no longer include wrapping in his repertoire?

Last edited:
Ok,

Let me see if I can respond to your points...

If someone can afford to pay 20% more for a house than market, and pay 2% over market interest rates, I still cannot understand why an existing lender will not lend to them at a lower rate than you are offering

A couple of reasons come to mind;

1) Does not fit their acceptance criteria, which may include;
- an applicants asset/liability ratio
- LVR requirements
- type of income (self employed etc)

2) They may qualify for a standard loan, in terms of income, but lifestyle choices mean they choose not to save for a deposit.

3) Maybe self employed and LVR requirements for no-docs not suitable

4) May not be a permanent resident, and wants to use a lease-option to secure a place and get a toe hold while they are processed

If it is simply that they are too impatient to get a deposit or some similar security, then the new Federal NRAS scheme should be able to help them out in saving a deposit

Not everyone qualifies for government housing (i.e. National Rental Affordability Scheme). People on high income won't qualify and sometimes people on high incomes have high costs of living which hampers their ability to save for a deposit (and pay rent).

apart from the old approaches like renting (which should allow you to save a deposit as well as it is a far lower amount than a mortgage), living at home, etc.

Buying, Renting, living at home are lifestyle choices, and some don't suit everyone. I did live at home when I owned an investment property, but moved to be closer to work and places that suit my lifestyle. Sometimes living at home is not an option if your parents are not close to your work.

All this is immaterial. You are describing fractional reserve banking. There is no logic in the comparisons you are making, it sounds more like a gently persuasive MLM-type spiel to attempt to legitimate something questionable. You are still charging 2% over the odds for the cost of money, and a 20% markup on a house to boot. You may be able to justify one, but both is difficult.

Why are my points immaterial and your are valid? this doesn't sound like a balance discussion? Of course its material. We're discussing wrapping which is the process of buying money at one price point and selling it at another. The point I make here is that money the general public buy off banks has been wrapped from bonds.

Justify is an interesting word to use. Sounds like a line drawn in the sand between justice and injustice. i.e. all those who sand on this side of the line stand for justice :)

Let's talk about "justification" for a moment. How does a renevotor justify a markup of 20% on a property when all the did was do some weeding, buy some plants and paint and clean up the house i.e. consider the show "Selling Houses Australia". A 3 day make over and "bang" markup.

Actually its very easy to justify a 2+20 markup...ready... its called an hourly rate.

Consider this, do you think selling a wrap is an "instant" profit?

It isn't, reason is...

1) Cost of marketing
2) Cost of travel locating property
3) Cost of inspections
4) Buying/selling fees
5) Time spent checking payments for the term of the loan

In regards to #5, that could be once a week, once a month for 1-25 years. That's a long time.

In other words that "instant" profit needs to be amortised over the term of the deal.

Also that 20% markup is depreciated due to inflation over the time too, so the initial "value" of that money is reduced over time.

If we compare apples with oranges, I might view the commission of an agent as hard to justify since they only work for a couple of weeks to sell a property and really, who knows how many hours they spend on any one particular property?

So getting back to justify, remember a wrappers work doesn't stop after the sale, it begins!

My remarks still apply -- that a qualified and competent borrower should be able to go to a conventional lender and obtain cheaper finance and not overpay for a house.

I agree, conforming borrowers go to conforming lenders, and non-conforming borrowers go to non-conforming lenders. And some lenders even go to builders like Masterton Homes who do deals with conforming lenders to offer non-conforming no-deposit finance loans. So my remarks also still apply, I guess we're both right here.

You mean they didn't want to be associated with the meeting.

Opps, I appear to have misled, no no no, they said this AT THE MEETING, they were the guest speaker for the W.A. members meeting. Sorry if I wasn't clear. The government officials I've worked with appreciate the oppporunity to help with education. Getting the facts from official sources and not from word of mouth or rumors is much better, wouldn't you agree?

And how was he 'pretty reasonable' exactly?

I personally spoke to the President of the US last week about invading Russia, and he was 'pretty reasonable about it' too. Anyone can make any sort of statement like this without proof, it is not believable and it means nothing without evidence and exact knowledge of what was said and why.

>Delivered-To: [email protected]
>From: [email protected]
>Subject: Meeting with Director of CAV
>To: President_FinanceWrapsAsn <[email protected]>
>Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:18:06 +1100
>
>
>
>Michael
>
>Further to your request for other invitees we propose that Ian and
>myself (and other CAV staff working on vendor terms contracts) meet
>with yourselves. Following this meeting one or two spokespersons could

>meet with the Director. As the Director will only be able to meet for
>30 to 45 minutes this will provide the best use of resources within the

>available time.
>
>If you would like to propose a few times when everyone will be
>available in Melbourne, I will check availability and book a room.
>
>After the meeting we will organise a meeting with the Director for the
>spokespersons.
>
>Regards
>
>Christine Rowley
>Project Officer, Credit and Finance
>Consumer Affairs Victoria
>Phone 03 9627 6283

The meeting itself was with the Director and several consumer advocates. We discussed some recent cases that were brought to the Government's attention, and how the association could assist. All agreed the volume of cases was very low.

When did you speak to the President of the US?

And yet the spruikers courses promote that if the wrappor gets into any trouble, you are able to evict them and start all over again with a new hopeful, and rinse and repeat as many times as you like. Just as the US subprime market is melting down due to unqualified borrowers getting into loans they can't repay, so will your wrappors.

That is one position that some people take, in your view, what do you believe should happen?

I'm sorry, that is not possible, and it's way too glib.

What facts can you provide to support your claim that it's not possible?

Here's a scenario...

At the time of the purchase, gross rental return was +10%. Now assume that the wrap payments and sale price were calculated so that the initial wrap payments equal the current rent payments.

Now move forward a few years and the rent in the area increases. However the wrap payments were based on a fixed interest loan (locked for 5 years) so they never moved.

So in this scenario, the wrap payments were less than the median rent.

It is possible, what on earth would make you think its not possible? Just because you don't know how, it doesn't mean its not possible!

What was the price of that house vs the median price in that area? It would be easy to find an unsaleable dump in an otherwise good area and wrap it to a poorly qualified borrower.

The house was wrapped before the 2003 boom.

What were the circumstances of that borrower? At today's interest rates, asking prices for houses, and asking rents, there is no way known between two equivalent houses in an area, that one can be wrapped in a mortgage for less than the going rental rate -- otherwise every renter would be buying.

That's the funny thing with hindsight really. Before 2003, many people should have bought. Knowing what I do know I wish I bought more for myself!

Ok, think of this...

2000 - house for sale for $50,000 (i.e. Tamworth), mark it up 20% i.e. $60,000

2008 - same house now worth $140,000

2008 - refince house off +2% vendor finance

Would the price of +20% and +2% for 4 years justify $90,000 in equity? if all you paid was the same amount you did in rent 4 years ago?

Many renters are now home owners because of wrappers - some are still renters because they were told wrapping is not ethical(?)

Yes some people do default on wraps, then if we consider areas like Bankstown, there are many "conforming" borrowers who are also defaulting. And if we compare 2003 prices of properties with 2008 prices some might even say that 2003 prices were excessively marked up.

This whole description smells to high heaven, I'm afraid. Do you think that I'm some sort of idiot that I'm not fully aware of today's cost of buying a house vs renting? Especially after a 2-fold increase in house prices over the last 7 years vs a CPI-only increase in rents? According to national statistics?

Since you asked for my opinion, I'm happy to give it freely, yes I do think you're an idiot.

Don't take my words at face value, in fact - for your own financial well being, done take anyone's without research.

Here's some homework...

1) Pick a regional city with population greater than 50,000
2) Get the median price of a 3br/1ba home in 2000
3) Get average interest rate in 2000
4) Get median rent in 2000
5) Mark up property price by 20%
6) Determine 90% loan on new price (borrowers deposit will be FHOG + cash)
7) Determine loan payment on 90% LVR with +2% rate spread onto of average
8) Compare loan payment with average rent

The renter's income had doubled? That's quite remarkable -- how did they manage that? What was the 'external factor' given they were even more able to pay off this funny sounding wrap mortgage? Should I dig any further? What say you actually post up hard dollars and cents specifics and describe this mythical house and its wrappor buyer, and compare it to others in the mythical suburb in the mythical town somewhere in a mythical country with mythical house/rent prices. Thanks.

The wrappee was made a manager at their work. I was informed that the chance of owning a property lifted his self esteem. I did a job with provided 45% shift loading, again doubling is not impossible. My wife's has tripled her salary over 5 years in IT from a basic tester to business analyst.

I know IT people who mow lawns in their own lawn mowing business, nothing remarkable about hard work.

Oh, and an Internet search on your name brings up the following story, which is nothing like the one you have just told:

So you have been doing research, excellent!

Tell me, what didn't the SMH article say? that's right they didn't tell the readers about the comparison between the wrap payment and median rent.

1) They quote a loan balance of $93,000
2) They quote a suburb of Beresfield

Now go look up the median rent for Beresfield on the Dept. of Housing Website at the time the article was publish and compare that with the repayment on a $93,000 loan with a +2% markup on the average interest rate at that time.

Jenman's article pretty much quotes the SMH.

According to the story, you evicted, or tried to evict, a family of wrappor clients 2 weeks before Christmas for falling into arrears, and received a great deal of negative press for doing so. They had spent a lot of money capitalizing the property they were living in and stood to lose all of their mortgage payments and capitalization money.

The process began 9 months before that (after the previous Christmas).

What's been happening in the last 4 years exactly, and why does your erstwhile 'mentor' Steve McKnight no longer include wrapping in his repertoire?

I think the property boom is what happened, as I mentioned early 10% rental yields made wrapping easy because the different between rent and wraps was minimal, but now property has doubled and rent yields have halved, the original method used by McKnight is not as effective.

Nowadays people are using other methods such as deposit finance, 2nd mortgages, etc.

For example in Feb this year at an auction I negotiated with a vendor to buy a home (for my PPOR) with a $50,000 interest free vendor finance loan (it fell through because I forgot some paper work) but the vendor agreed in principal because it would have been at the price he wanted.

With interest and property high, I'm now looking to buy property with vendor finance rather than sell with vendor finance.

For example, we're currently looking at a deal where the house has 3 vendors who are beneficiaries of an estate. So we are talking to the agent about a possible reverse mortgage with a low interest rate. So rather than buy the property with a conforming loan at +8% (which we qualify for), we'll see whether we can buy the property on a 2% loan. That way the majority of our loan payments would be principal.

Why would they wait later for the money? Because we're planning to offer above market price for the property (the savings in interest payments would offset the cost to us).

Regards
Michael Gruber

Call me weird or whatever, but having read the news reports etc, I think some of it was fair enough and I actually have no issues with wraps, and also have been the "purchaser" in these sort of deals, the attitude I have always taken into a Wrap purchase is:

I pay a deposit (ok this bit sucks if it was all to go to ****) and all costs going towards the upkeep of the property....

I am paying rent - with the opportunity to own the home at the end.... That is the way I look at it....

If the current owners of the house I am renting were to come to me with a wrap deal, I would probably kiss their feet..... Granted while I pay a deposit I may never ever see again, that is a risk, but the weekly payments are considered as just a rent payment in my eyes, I pay rent now, every week without fail, its our No.1 payment above all others. It would just give us the opportunity to pay our "rent" payments towards a long term goal instead of someone else's bank account....

The only down side I see is if you cannot meet the repayments, you do not have the option to sell the property to recoup any of the money you have put in... That is the downside, but if you are renting and don't make payments, you are evicted, if you are buying from a bank and don't make repayments they foreclose, but you would have the option of maybe selling really quickly prior to get something back....

Actually,JCS, if you've bought on a wrap you can sell the house as long as you get at least the price you've agreed to pay the vendor! If you get more than this, as is likely if you've been in the property for a while or done some renos to it,you get to keep the extra money!

Property always goes up historically and now is no different. I read that the ANZ is getting ready for "the mother of all property booms". As soon as interests rates come down they'll be off and running!

Even paying 20% more now for a house, as you do buying with vendor finance,, people need to see the Big Picture ie what will it be worth in 5 or 10 years time! Heaps more! And all the extra equity belongs to the buyer.

I find it really difficult to understand why people get their knickers in a knot about us marking up the houses. We are providing the finance. We have to make it attractive for investors who enable this to happen,ie give them a decent return. And we are providing expertise and service.

Our buyers don't mind. We're totally upfront with them about this and if they do mind they don't use our services. Most are grateful for the opportunity.

Banks will foreclose on you if you don't make the payments,the difference is they expect you to make good on any debt if they sell it for less than what you owe them! And we know how cheaply banks will sell foreclosed property! At least with a wrap it's a clean break and there is no left-over debt. And we do our best to help people stay if they genuinely try to catch up as,unlike banks, we connect on a personal level with our buyers!!

Cheers,
Tamar

Cheers,
Tamar

Hiya Tamar

Interesting post

I do disagree though with your comment on the banks selling mortgagee in possession sales selling "cheaply"........most of the experience I have says its otherwise ..............people will often pay more than market at a mortgagee auction.

I even have ONE instance in recent times where a client bought a place at mortgagee auction for x

The valaution came back at x - 10 K because " the valuer talked to the agent and there was a LOT of buyer interest in the property, which pushed its price over the real market"............go figure ?

ta
rolf

Hi Rolf,

Well,that is an interesting experience. It depends on buyer interest and also if banks use a go-between to market a property. Come to think of it, we did buy one property for one buyer that had been taken back by the bank but the "broker"(not sure what his title would be) was pretty canny and there was some-one else interested (or so he indicated...it was all done on the phone...) so the price did go up.:rolleyes:

I'll re-phrase it, if some-one gives a property back to us it's a clean break with no debt remaining as could happen with a bank foreclosure if the house was sold for less:).

Cheers,
Tamar

Ok

We call that "Non Recourse " Lending..nice and simple words :), but near impossible to get in normal channels for most resi applications.

ta
rolf

I wrap properties and have had very few issues compared with my traditional rental properties.
Do your homework before you buy, and I NEVER let the wrapee choose the property.

Back