Xmas presents FROM Tenants?

Hi Guys,

I have been reading through the thread "Xmas presents for tenants" and it seems that most of you (57%) are scrooges (by the way I look and act nothing like my avatar) and only 2% send their tenants cards for Xmas.

May I ask: how many of you receive cards or presents from your tenants at Xmas?

We received cards and one even enclosed a $13.60 Lotto quickpick.

Cheers,

Bazza

Last edited:
I'm just happy if they pay the rent on time and don't destroy the place.

I have always found a lotto ticket to be an odd gift. What would you do if you won? I certainly would not tell them. ;) "How did you go with that lotto ticket"?, "oh, you know, same as always".

Phil :)

I'm just happy if they pay the rent on time and don't destroy the place.

I have always found a lotto ticket to be an odd gift. What would you do if you won? I certainly would not tell them. ;) "How did you go with that lotto ticket"?, "oh, you know, same as always".

Phil :)

Hi Phil,

Yes, I was just saying to the Misses to keep it quite if it wins! But that is 10 billion to one so no point in worrying about that.

Cheers,

Bazza

The tenants don't know where I live, and I intend to keep it that way. As long as the pay the rent and be quiet I'm happy. I don't want / expect presents from them.
Alex

Exactly right Alex. We manage all of our IPs and have no desire to divulge our street address to them. The only thing they'd do is use that fact against us when negotiating the rent next time round. We use a PO Box instead.

In terms of gifts from tenants, we're not looking for any trinket Xmas thing worth $ 10 or $ 20.....but have gladly accepted throughout the year improvements and renovations that they have made to our properties that they are now using and getting the benefit from.

The 100K worth of concrete and bitumen hardstand at one place was nice. The new kitchen in the office block was nice. The seven carports they erected to get their cars out of the sun and rain was a welcome addition. And of course the Vendors from the newest place providing 200K worth of up-to-the-minute fire installations was a lovely benefit.

We will now be able to depreciate all of those improvements, so it's that type of gift that keeps giving and giving. Marvellous stuff. :)

Hi Guys,

I have been reading through the thread "Xmas presents for tenants" and it seems that most of you (57%) are scrooges (by the way I look and act nothing like my avatar) and only 2% send their tenants cards for Xmas.

Bazza

We send our PM's a small gift and this year our tenants as well. We have a group of tenants that are looking after our investments. It is a small token of our appreciation and we don't expect anything in return. We give the gift unconditionally as a thank you.

We only sign the cards with our Christian names (and landlord in brackets), .... no surname and no address.

Martin .... :eek:

The tenants don't know where I live, and I intend to keep it that way. As long as the pay the rent and be quiet I'm happy. I don't want / expect presents from them.
Alex

I agree with you guys also. We have a business address and also a PO Box. I don't want my tenants knocking on the door at all hours of the night or even knowing where we live.

Cheers,

Bazza

Exactly right Alex. We manage all of our IPs and have no desire to divulge our street address to them. The only thing they'd do is use that fact against us when negotiating the rent next time round. We use a PO Box instead.

In terms of gifts from tenants, we're not looking for any trinket Xmas thing worth $ 10 or $ 20.....but have gladly accepted throughout the year improvements and renovations that they have made to our properties that they are now using and getting the benefit from.

The 100K worth of concrete and bitumen hardstand at one place was nice. The new kitchen in the office block was nice. The seven carports they erected to get their cars out of the sun and rain was a welcome addition. And of course the Vendors from the newest place providing 200K worth of up-to-the-minute fire installations was a lovely benefit.

We will now be able to depreciate all of those improvements, so it's that type of gift that keeps giving and giving. Marvellous stuff. :)
The fixtures they install belong to you at the end of the lease, but wont the lessee be claiming the depreciation whislt he uses the items...is that an icorrect interpretaion?

The fixtures they install belong to you at the end of the lease, but wont the lessee be claiming the depreciation whislt he uses the items...is that an icorrect interpretaion?

The fixtures are owned by the landlord, so only he/she/they can claim depreciation. The fact that they are being used in conjucntion with the rental is incidental. The property could remain empty, not used, and depreciation can still be claimed (subject to it being available for rent of course)

that would be an even better write off for the tenant if they have paid for them and yet won't own them - would be an outright expense.

I agree with you guys also. We have a business address and also a PO Box. I don't want my tenants knocking on the door at all hours of the night or even knowing where we live.

Cheers,

Bazza

The tenants would have an expensive job knocking on our door, ....... All our IP's except one are interstate and we have a silent phone number. The one IP that is close to where we live didn't get a present, ... I didn't want to tempt fate .... :p

Martin

1. The concrete and hardstand were laid by the previous tenant to improve the vacant block portion and give them extra room to manouvre truck papraphenalia, and keep the place from becoming a quagmire in the winter. They've since gone broke, relinquished the Lease, left the property and new tenants have moved in. The hardstand and concrete remain of course and have gone onto my books.....and as a nice treat, the new tenant is paying us double the rent that the previous tenant who installed it did, to use it now. Gotta be happy with that :D

2. The kitchen and new carports are still being used by the tenant, a conglomeration of superannuation funds. We won't get any benefit out of that, other than being able to charge them far more rent - especially for the carbays in the next market review. We have 7 carbays in the CBD that are included with the property, and currently charge $ 350 pcm for each of them. Hoping to raise the figure on the carbays to $ 600 pcm.....still only $ 20 per day....cheap as chips for these high flying cats. They have oodles of dosh, skimming millions from everyone's super funds. Fortunately they shovel a morsel my way every now and again. :p

3. The fire stuff was fully paid by the previous Owner, but I'll be able to claim the lot, as it stays with and forms an integral part of the property.

rent paid on time without the "but it's christmas" excuse would be a lovely present ...

I agree.
On occassion we do receive a Xmas card.
Also received a wedding invitation and baptism invitation...but I think they were looking for presents (we didn't)

Alex

Same here with the exeption of the tenants at the back of our PPOR. Somehow even though the house at the back of ours is fenced separately to our own the tenants always find out we own the damn thing. The neighbours must talk.

Back