Xmas - what do you do?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately - I love Christmas - it is the most special day/time of the year for me - and yet I am not religious - in fact I dont even believe in God! But I just love Christmas and all that comes with it, the family time, the joy of giving and receiving gifts, eating yummy foods, the decadent Xmas tree (that is too big for our tiny company house :rolleyes:), taking the kids round to see the Xmas lights etc. So, it seems I have taken a Christian tradition and turned it into a family celebration. I haven't had to explain yet what the "true meaning" of Christmas is to the kids, and really dont know what I will tell them when they ask...its Christian roots arn't important to me, but it is the basis of Xmas I suppose...

This is out first Xmas alone - without any other rellies...I have enjoyed the build-up to Xmas a lot this year.We have made a tradition out of baking and making things to send/give to family and friends. This year we made mango jam and chutney, gingerbread men and bonbons with special personalised messages.

We have adopted the Aussies Xmas lunch, and have a seafood feast, much of it caught ourselves. Have a few beers/wines, then relax for the arvo, or head to the beach. One thing I hate is running around to different peoples/relatives places on Xmas day!

What do you do for Xmas? What is important to you? What are your traditions? What do you hate about Xmas?

Hope you all have a great Christmas break and safe holiday season! :)
Cheers, Nadia

I hate almost everything about xmas except giving my son and wife a present and seeing their faces. Priceless.

The hype and media saturation drives me insane.

I'm not religious, so xmas carols are a definite no-no. Don't even think about Ray Martin on Channel 9, or whoever does it these days.

We try to avoid the human race as much as possible - especially relos. Hard to do though.

Only see selected special friends and the odd relo I can stand for more than 1 hour. If we can't see the chosen ones; we see no-one.

My brother is the same; rather than acquiesse and spend time with relos - he just buggers off to Fiji every year! Smart.

We go out for lunch to restaurants these days - get waited on.

Am I scrooge or what?

I think you are so lucky to enjoy Christmas, because it has always been a very stressful time of year in our family. For ten years my brother was out of our lives, so Christmas was hard for my mother specially. When he came back into our lives, we were all happy, until it turned out he was a loose cannon with so many "issues" that Christmas was still tense and awkward for other reasons. Every time he came into the family circle, he left it in tatters.

When he left at 17 years old, it split my mother and her two sisters for many years, and mum's younger sister never got in touch when I had my children and only saw my children for the first time about two years ago, when my oldest was nearly 18. We have seen her once more since then, but it is tense and unnatural.

I would love to just come out and ask "what happened", but you know what, I really don't care. I am more curious than anything. Nothing can change the past.

On hubby's side, there are other issues with sisters who either aren't speaking to each other, or other "stuff" happening, that it just exhausts me thinking about it. His mum faffs about pretending that "everyone is happy" when the reality is far removed.

We now just have my husband and the boys, one brother and his wife and kids and my parents and aunt and uncle over for lunch. It is quite fun, but for many years it was fraught with "issues" and bad blood, so never very joyous, unfortunately.

I used to think our family was unusual, but the more I get to know people, when they speak openly, there are many family issues that raise their ugly heads at Christmas. We are not unusually dysfunctional at all :D.

I'm not a Christmas fan.

I'm so busy for the 2 months leading up to Christmas. I'm a teacher so assessing children, writing reports, interviews with parents. That's 6 weeks of Term 2 then I'm responsible for an end of year DVD which I produce then make 100 copies. Plus the normal stuff. I do all the cooking for 2 Christmas dinners (Christmas day and Boxing Day). Most of the family were going to be away or working Christmas day so mum and I decided to go on a 14 night cruise.

Yeehah!! No cooking or cleaning for once.

We did have a family get together last week and gave out presents, drove around to look at the lights etc. That was nice.

3 days to go:D

If you are near Circular Quay on Christmas Eve I'm on the HUGE ship. Wave

What do you do for Xmas?
1. Christmas cards are written and posted on December 1st and then I ring friends that I haven't seen in the last 12 months when their cards arrive.

2. Christmas lights and decorations (internal & external) go up every year and each year I say to myself I am buying no more lights etc. and every year I spend at least $100 on lights or decorations!

Lots of evenings spent outside talking to the neighbours, or walking around our neighbouring streets

Our 2 grown up children are home on Christmas morning, so we wake up and open all the presents under the tree, everyone except me has a turn of reading the name tag and handing out the presents

What is important to you?
Family, health and telling our kids we love them are proud of them.

What are your traditions?
We give our son his birthday presents after the Christmas presents have been handed out and I make everyone a cup of coffee then the kids cook us bacon and eggs for breakfast.

Then there is the mad scramble to clean up our mess and get the house organised (and presentable) for the 36 relatives & friends that descend on our house.

11.30 am is Secret Santa time and my husband gets dressed up in his fat Santa suit ( has a fan and batteries to blow him up).

Prawns and lollies then lunch for the family everyone helps.

What do you hate about Xmas?
The mad rush to clean up after everyone has left so we can leave early the next morning to go camping in the bush until new Year's Day.

Most years my son does not get to have his birthday cake on his birthday as family and friends do not leave till late! He celebrates his birthday the night before with friends.

Cheers
Merry Christmas

Sheryn

There's a part of me that hates Xmas and another part that loves it. I hate the crowded shopping centres, I hate how everybody wants you just before industry closure i.e banks, solicitors, accountants...it's just a mad rush (we're settling a purchase on the day our solicitors are breaking up and we're already up for default interest), I hate buying pressies (done most of it online this year thank goodness) and I hate the heat and school holidays. I also hate the commercial side of it (can be way ott), the amount of catalogue I get in the post etc

But I do love the 2 week break, the Xmas Carols, my son loves Xmas, family and friends gathering at our place and ofcourse the real meaning of Xmas (which is pretty much lost!). I really miss the nativity scenes displayed in Myer window. I love my son's Xmas play. I love that my 3y.o can sing carols and knows the story of Baby Jesus.

Today a muslim lady in a headscarf walked past our house and Josh said 'Look Dadd that's Mary!' lol it was so cute.

We have a quiet Christmas. This will possibly be the last one the kids live at home. We usually have a big night on Christmas Eve with all the trimmings and present opening Christmas morning, eat whatever you fancy all day.

The relative thing I so agree with, there's very few I want to spend more than an hour with, how sad.

Put the tree up, nothing too over the top anymore, keep it simple BUT always put a nativity scene out no matter what, not overly religious, just to remind everyone what it's really about. I like a nice church candle burning on the table for the day also.

Last edited:
My family are overseas so we head to the inlaws down the coast. In many ways makes it much easier. Although have said next year we'll do our own thing for a change.

Try and avoid my relo's at this time of year as things just seem to blow up due to a few stirrers in the ranks who won't like to rip bandaids off.

We are practicing Christians, but generally we take the day off church on Christmas Day.... don't know why - just our own little tradition!

We are still trying to sort out some new traditions since my father died just after Christmas 2 years ago. We had a very set pattern for the day, that mum and dad had built up for many years, but mum has dementia, and now we are trying to find a new way. We have never really had the family issues at Christmas time, everyone puts on a smile even if they don't mean it! My husband's family don't really have much of a Christmas celebration, so we've generally stuck to my family celebration.

Last year we were in Europe for Christmas. The Germans really know how to "do" Christmas, and New Years Eve. There are Christmas markets everywhere, and they really get into the Christmas spirit. it was fantastic. We were in Denmark/ Sweden for Christmas. Went to Tivoli in Copenhagen on the day before Christmas Eve, then over to Sweden to stay with friends and had a very traditional Swedish Christmas Even. Went ice-skating in the town square on Christmas Day....... the only thing missing was snow! New Years eve in Germany was also fantastic. Everyone in the village lets off fireworks, and it is so much more interesting and engaging than the big Sydney harbour fireworks. So, highly recommended to do Christmas in Europe at least once!!

Pen

We rotate lunch and dinner between my side and hubby's side of the family and it's just immediate family. I think there is 7 of us at one function and 17 at the other - nice and manageable.

This year we will be lunching with my family at my parents beach house - nice and simple cold lunch with seafood, and will be having a hot dinner with hubby's family in Melbourne. Driving isn't too bad with Eastlink - under an hour each way. Perfect for the kids - they will have a sleep on the way to dinner.

As for traditions, the kids, hubby and I always decorate the tree together, and it always gets covered in the kids school/kinder creations. Each year we buy a couple of nice Christmas decorations, and when we holiday I always try and get something for the tree. This year it was a PacMan musical decoration from the US, it ties in with the arcade games machine hubby got for his birthday and the kids LOVE it.

The kids and I usually do some cooking - we make Christmas shortbread, Chocolate Rocky Road Christmas Trees (YUM!)....and of course we have to make Reindeer food to sprinkle over the lawn Xmas Eve so that Santa and the Reindeers know where to land (simple mix of Oats and glitter).

The Christmas lights go up the last week in November and we usually go and see the Christmas lights in our area.

This year is a little different though, I've been struck down with pheunomia since the start of December and being pregnant medication options are limited. Lucky I was well organised with presents. Kids have gone to my parents until 23rd December so I can rest, we've done no cooking, I'm not going to lift a finger on Christmas day....and finally I'm starting to feel a bit better.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Buddybee

When we arrived in Australia (from UK), Dad got a job which was always afternoon/night shift so didn't get home until around 3am. Consequently we did a double whammy. Santa sacks to wake up to AND pressies under the tree to open after Dad had had some sleep and we'd had Christmas lunch (roast pork etc). Tea was ham, salad, lunch leftovers, pudding & custard, pulling of bon bons, wearing silly hats and telling corny jokes.

Later Mum & Dad retired & moved so the sisters and I took turns hosting Xmas and Mum & Dad came down to join us. Regardless of who hosts it we all chip in. One sister always does turkey, another sister (the vegetarian) brings the vegies and salad stuff, I always do pork, one of my daughters does the ham, another daughter does fruit & desserts and so on........

Then Mum got sick with Parkinsons and they didn't like to travel so most of the family went there and camped all over the garden so they could still be included. Now, Mum is in a nursing home, Dad visits every day and has Christmas lunch with Mum at the home and we go up to see & stay a bit with them after Christmas.

As for my family, one daughter married a Chilean and they celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve (pressie opening after midnight) and the other daughter married a muslim and they don't celebrate Christmas so our Christmas Day celebrations have never been compromised. One SIL has learned that he gets a fork stabbed in the back of his hand if he tries to take our pork crackling (we leave the best bit til last and he thought we didn't want it - silly man! :) ) and we don't have to fight the other SIL for it. :)

Actually, the Chileans have moved their 'thing' to Christmas Eve during the day and we are included in it and they are included in ours the next day. This was because my daughter and SIL were finding it hard to do the Chilean 'thing' so late at night then do 'our thing' the next day especially if it involved travelling to someones house for the day. We now all sleep over my daughters so we get to see the kids wake up to their pressies. They get sacks (from Santa) AND there's pressies under the tree (from the rellies), so our tradition of sack AND tree pressies that was created due to necessity (Dads work hours) has continued but for a different reason - to show that rellies buy them pressies as well as Santa. All of the various nationalities and religions mix very well together - we even go on holidays together in January. The muslim side help my daughter trim the tree and her Mother in law has taken to sending out Chrissie cards. It just goes to prove that a bit of give and take all round means we can all get on and live in peace and harmony.

So my Xmas this year involves feasting on Xmas Eve day with the Chileans, sleeping overnight at the daughters to see the kids waking up to their pressies (probably about 5.30am :eek:), breakfast, tree pressies then pack up to go to my sisters at Bundeena where we are doing 'our wider family thing' this year. This will be lunch and tea with a stint at the beach in between. More pressies too. I'm also feasting at a friends on Boxing Day! :eek:

Olly

I haven't had to explain yet what the "true meaning" of Christmas is to the kids, and really dont know what I will tell them when they ask...its Christian roots arn't important to me, but it is the basis of Xmas I suppose...

Nards, Christmas doesn't actually have any Christian roots at all. The history of Christmas dates back over 4000 years. Many of our Christmas traditions were celebrated centuries before the Christ child was born. The 12 days of Christmas, the bright fires, the yule log, the giving of gifts, carnivals(parades) with floats, carolers who sing while going from house to house, the holiday feasts, and the church processions can all be traced back to the early Mesopotamians.

Many of these traditions began with the Mesopotamian celebration of New Years. The Mesopotamians believed in many gods, and as their chief god - Marduk. Each year as winter arrived it was believed that Marduk would do battle with the monsters of chaos. To assist Marduk in his struggle the Mesopotamians held a festival for the New Year. This was Zagmuk, the New Year's festival that lasted for 12 days.

The Mesopotamian king would return to the temple of Marduk and swear his faithfulness to the god. The traditions called for the king to die at the end of the year and to return with Marduk to battle at his side.

To spare their king, the Mesopotamians used the idea of a "mock" king. A criminal was chosen and dressed in royal clothes. He was given all the respect and privileges of a real king. At the end of the celebration the "mock" king was stripped of the royal clothes and slain, sparing the life of the real king.

The Persians and the Babylonians celebrated a similar festival called the Sacaea. Part of that celebration included the exchanging of places, the slaves would become the masters and the masters were to obey.

Early Europeans believed in evil spirits, witches, ghosts and trolls. As the Winter Solstice approached, with its long cold nights and short days, many people feared the sun would not return. Special rituals and celebrations were held to welcome back the sun.

In Scandinavia during the winter months the sun would disappear for many days. After thirty-five days scouts would be sent to the mountain tops to look for the return of the sun. When the first light was seen the scouts would return with the good news. A great festival would be held, called the Yuletide, and a special feast would be served around a fire burning with the Yule log. Great bonfires would also be lit to celebrate the return of the sun. In some areas people would tie apples to branches of trees to remind themselves that spring and summer would return.

The ancient Greeks held a festival similar to that of the Zagmuk/Sacaea festivals to assist their god Kronos who would battle the god Zeus and his Titans.

The Roman's celebrated their god Saturn. Their festival was called Saturnalia which began the middle of December and ended January 1st. With cries of "Jo Saturnalia!" the celebration would include masquerades in the streets, big festive meals, visiting friends, and the exchange of good-luck gifts called Strenae (lucky fruits).

The Romans decked their halls with garlands of laurel and green trees lit with candles. Again the masters and slaves would exchange places

"Jo Saturnalia!" was a fun and festive time for the Romans, but the Christians though it an abomination to honor the pagan god. The early Christians wanted to keep the birthday of their Christ child a solemn and religious holiday, not one of cheer and merriment as was the pagan Saturnalia.

But as Christianity spread they were alarmed by the continuing celebration of pagan customs and Saturnalia among their converts. At first the Church forbid this kind of celebration. But it was to no avail. Eventually it was decided that the celebration would be tamed and made into a celebration fit for the Christian Son of God.

Some legends claim that the Christian "Christmas" celebration was invented to compete against the pagan celebrations of December. The 25th was not only sacred to the Romans but also the Persians whose religion Mithraism was one of Christianity's main rivals at that time. The Church eventually was successful in taking the merriment, lights, and gifts from the Saturanilia festival and bringing them to the celebration of Christmas.

The exact day of the Christ child's birth has never been pinpointed. Traditions say that it has been celebrated since the year 98 AD. In 137 AD the Bishop of Rome ordered the birthday of the Christ Child celebrated as a solemn feast. In 350 AD another Bishop of Rome, Julius I, choose December 25th as the observance of Christmas.

http://www.holidays.net/christmas/story.htm

And more...

Jesus' birth
The Bible gives no straight answer to the date of Jesus' birth, but it does give clues. Luke 2:8–14 speaks of shepherds living outdoor and tending to a flock of sheep. The text reads, "And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night." Scholars of the Bible have concluded that this would be highly unlikely in the month of December, for the weather conditions would be too cold to live outside or tend to a flock of sheep. In addition, it is also unlikely that Caesar would force Jews to trek to their home cities under the cold and rainy seasons.

Why do people celebrate Jesus' birth on December 25?
The answer to this question lies in the pagan (the ancient polytheistic religion) origins of Christmas. Before the Romans converted to Christianity, they celebrated the popular holiday Saturnalia, a festival of feasting and revelry held in December in celebration of Saturn, the god of agriculture, and the winter solstice.

Kelly Wittmann wrote, "In 350, Pope Julius I declared that Christ's birth would be celebrated on December 25. There is wide acceptance of the belief that Pope Julius I was trying to make it as painless as possible for pagan Romans, who remained a majority at that time, to convert to Christianity. The new religion went down a bit easier, knowing that their feasts would not be taken away from them." Moreover, in ancient Babylon, December 25 was the feast of the Son of Isis, Goddess of Nature, was celebrated with, "Raucous partying, gluttonous eating and drinking, and gift-giving were traditions of this feast", as stated by Kelly Wittmann.

A popular theory as to why the Church would pick December 25th is that the Feast of the Annunciation had previously been set to March 25. This is the celebration of the conception of Jesus in the womb of Mary at the time she was visited by the angel Gabriel. The fixing of December 25 for Christmas would support the conclusion that the Church set the date of the Nativity as nine months from that point.

http://enc.slider.com/Enc/Pagan_Beliefs_Surrounding_Christmas

The middle of winter has long been a time of celebration around the world. Centuries before the arrival of the man called Jesus, early Europeans celebrated light and birth in the darkest days of winter. Many peoples rejoiced during the winter solstice, when the worst of the winter was behind them and they could look forward to longer days and extended hours of sunlight.
In Scandinavia, the Norse celebrated Yule from December 21, the winter solstice, through January. In recognition of the return of the sun, fathers and sons would bring home large logs, which they would set on fire. The people would feast until the log burned out, which could take as many as 12 days. The Norse believed that each spark from the fire represented a new pig or calf that would be born during the coming year.
The end of December was a perfect time for celebration in most areas of Europe. At that time of year, most cattle were slaughtered so they would not have to be fed during the winter. For many, it was the only time of year when they had a supply of fresh meat. In addition, most wine and beer made during the year was finally fermented and ready for drinking.
In Germany, people honored the pagan god Oden during the mid-winter holiday. Germans were terrified of Oden, as they believed he made nocturnal flights through the sky to observe his people, and then decide who would prosper or perish. Because of his presence, many people chose to stay inside.

http://www.history.com/minisites/christmas/viewPage?pageId=1252

The same applies for all Christian "traditions" eg Easter which have all been stolen from pagan and ancient cultures and beliefs. So even if you're not religious like me, you can still celebrate the REAL meaning of Christmas which is eating, drinking and having a good time.

Running away on holidays is awesome!

Xmas, easter, even birthdays! Getting away with either your close friends, partner or family is the best, to avoid spoiling a potentially nice time into an episode of everybody loves raymond.

Xmas here is very laid back, swim, eat, drink, yabby, am cooking up a small pot of them now for a xmas nibble/drink end of harvest toast...quiet country fun.:)

From xmas through to new year, well summer really, it's a relaxing time.

Attachments

• tcnov31.JPG
    tcnov31.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 72
  • tcnov41.JPG
    tcnov41.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 55
  • tcnov51.jpg
    tcnov51.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 64
We go to church and thank the Lord God for all our blessings. Then we cut cake and sing happy birthday to Jesus then eat and drink and party for the rest of the day with all our families and their reliatvies! Awesome time and I love it!

Back