Secondary School Options - What would you do?

Hi all,
Would like to get your thoughts on my situation. Here is the scenario;

School 1 - Semi-Gov (Christian) - Total cost 120K (over 10+ years schooling, 3 kids). Going by the reviews, school rating sites, highly ranked with great stats. Better stats than school 2. 20 minutes drive from PPR.

School 2 - Gov. Not in the Zone, so have to move into the Zone (Mount Waverley). If I sell the current PPR and buy PPR in the Zone, mortgage will increase from about at least 350K (at least 850K+ for a house).

School 3 - Semi-Gov. Total cost would be about 90K. 2 minute walk. School is not as good as School 1 or 2.

Other considerations;
- I'm not speaking from experience BUT, what I've heard is that Catholic/Christian schools have better discipline, so leaning towards school 1 OR 2.
- I quite like the suburb that I live in now.
- I have 2 years till my eldest starts secondary.

Thanks in advance.

No brainer for me - number 1
You don't have to move, don't have to increase mortgage and is there any chance that there is a public transport to number 1?

What do you mean by semi-gov though? Private?

I'm not sure of your calculations? If secondary starts at year 7 and you have 3 kids then it is 18 years of school fees.

I have just reached 15yrs of private school fees - only 27 more years to go :eek: 3 kids x 14yrs each :eek::eek:

There is another option, but the outcome is not guaranteed. There are selective entry high schools like Melbourne/McRob, Nossal High, University High, and even John Monash Science School.

http://www.education.vic.gov.au/school/parents/secondary/Pages/selective.aspx
http://www.jmss.vic.edu.au/

Thanks. Yep. Also, there are scholarships for private schools as well (e.g. 75% discount etc...). We don't really want to stress the kids out though by pushing them to get to those schools via scholarships.

No brainer for me - number 1
You don't have to move, don't have to increase mortgage and is there any chance that there is a public transport to number 1?

What do you mean by semi-gov though? Private?

I'm not sure of your calculations? If secondary starts at year 7 and you have 3 kids then it is 18 years of school fees.

I have just reached 15yrs of private school fees - only 27 more years to go :eek: 3 kids x 14yrs each :eek::eek:

Oh, great stuff! All the best.

Sorry, may have used a wrong term here (semi-gov). Basically, they are not as high as fully private schools (e.g. 24K PA). These schools are about 7/8K PA. My 10+ year schooling is concurrent (i.e. eldest starts year 7 in 2016, the youngest finishes in 2027. So, 12 years. These schools give discounts when you have more than one child so I've calculated as per that roughly)

Yes, there are school buses/public transport to school 1.

Junior is going to a Christian school as it's the best by a looooong shot in the area ... she is still in primary, and the school goes right thru to yr12.

Before we moved, she was in a really good public school so it has been interesting to compare costs.

At the Christian school we pay $4,000/yr + uniform ... but that is it. All excursions and activities (including overnight trips away) are covered by this fee. She also get a MacBook, with all programs and insurance, for school and to bring home.

I remember with the public school, a week wouldn't go past without having to put my hand in the pocket for some other expense, excursion, trip, activity etc.

It may be slightly more expensive at the Christian school but, when the ongoing costs are taken into consideration, it's not that much more. The quality of teaching and morals of the kids is so much higher too.

Oh, great stuff! All the best.

Sorry, may have used a wrong term here (semi-gov). Basically, they are not as high as fully private schools (e.g. 24K PA). These schools are about 7/8K PA. My 10+ year schooling is concurrent (i.e. eldest starts year 7 in 2016, the youngest finishes in 2027. So, 12 years. These schools give discounts when you have more than one child so I've calculated as per that roughly)

Yes, there are school buses/public transport to school 1.

Gotcha - ours is like that at around $3-5k per year. Concurrently I'm in for 25years of school fees - I want a plaque at the school at the end of it :p At such reasonable prices we worked out we could send them for their whole school journey now with one in Kinder, Grade 2 and Grade 9 it's worked out well as they are all at the same school and there is only one school run.

I would choose school 1.

We have one child in a private high school and pay approx. $8500 per year (regional NSW). So far it has been worth every cent. The school's academic results are excellent; rules are strict and discipline is very much enforced; communication and feedback from the school regarding our child is fantastic and our son is coming top (or very near top) of his year in most subjects after being a fairly 'average' student in primary school.

Some of the parents are a bit full of themselves which, I suppose, can often be the case with private schools and there is a bit of a 'networking' click with parents who are business owners in the community but, overall, we are glad we made the decision to go private (after agonising over the decision from the day he was born :D).

Something I've come to notice and believe is that lots of parents don't realise that when it comes to sending their children to a private school (with 'more discipline') is that this 'discipline' also applies to the parents. By that I mean, parents must accept and be willing to enforce to their children that correct uniform must be purchased, IRONED and worn correctly at the correct times; shoes polished clean; their children need to have short, conventional haircuts (boys) and only allow their daughters one set of ear piercings, etc; hair tied back and not dyed 'unnatural' colours, etc. Parents must ensure their children are never late to school; have their homework completed on time, etc. Basically, there is no room for lazy parenting if you decide to send your child to a stricter private school and if they haven't ever let their little darlings hear the word 'no', their child will struggle.

Our younger children go to a public primary school and we have been happy with that for the most part, although there does seem to be an issue with teachers within the school taking lots of extended time off for various reasons, resulting in a constant stream of different 'relief' teachers for the students. Perhaps there's too many govt employee rights in that respect methinks :rolleyes: but it's been our only complaint there.

Last edited:
My kids went to both government and a private Christian school.

I wished I had put my children in private years before. I loved the discipline, uniform and even though it grew in numbers whilst my kids were in private, I was known by name. I felt the children were cared for on a personal as well as an academic level. It felt very personalised all round. My son hated the school with a passion so his last year in education he went back to a government school. My son was a rat bag so I was at the school frequently and not once did those front ladies in reception recall who I was. I despised the government system having experienced the private system.

Worth remembering any school is only as good as the principal and the people employed there.

I would go the first option.

Thanks for all the feedback. Very valuable.

Currently our kids go to a Govt Primary School which is pretty good. With my second child, we did experience the relief staff situation.

We have a certain level of discipline at home without trying to make the home like an army camp :D. Kids are quite used to "No". Hopefully with a well disciplined school, it'll compliment each other.

Go with what you can afford, good and well discipline kids usually do well in any school... discipline begin at home not at school...you should have more influences in your kids life than any public place or institution..with that in a bag you would never have to worry about them going off the rail and or mix with the wrong people...

I have families member sent kids to very expensive private and public schools, they all turn out good, they are well disciplined from an early age.

The one that went to public school actually did better in career wise ,more driven, they mixed in with all sort of people...but that could be because of their personalities rather put down to just schooling..

Private vs Public eternity debate with no end like shares vs properties, so go with what you comfortable with...

Go with what you can afford, good and well discipline kids usually do well in any school... discipline begin at home not at school...you should have more influences in your kids life than any public place or institution..with that in a bag you would never have to worry about them going off the rail and or mix with the wrong people...

I have families member sent kids to very expensive private and public schools, they all turn out good, they are well disciplined from an early age.

The one that went to public school actually did better in career wise ,more driven, they mixed in with all sort of people...but that could be because of their personalities rather put down to just schooling..

Private vs Public eternity debate with no end like shares vs properties, so go with what you comfortable with...

+1 and well said,my sentiments exactly.

Cheers Spades.

Back