Yey - I'm getting a cleaning lady

You measure them by linear length too?
Books just breed in this house ...

Our contributing factor is a bi-lingual household. So the hundreds of English (kids) books are matched 1-for-1 with hundreds of Korean books. Some we brought back with us while traveling there, others were ordered in bulk off the net.

It's a great learning tool for me too, I'm reading Korean at 2-year-old level :)

cleaners are gold!

just got one myself 4 months ago.
Saves time, everything is so much cleaner. can do what i want on my days off.

was a messy person myself and was in the "clean madly and let it fall to bits over weeks and then have to do it again" category.

The thing that surprised me was if you know a stranger is coming in weekly to scrub kitchen bathrooms and vacuum, suddenly you notice the mini- messes you make,

I really didnt tidy up as i went, didnt pick stuff up of the floor as I dropped it. Before the cleaner comes, you have to clear the floors and declutter or thier job is much less efficient and takes longer.... that means you spend more money!

my house is now revamped and clutter free, organised and always presentable. Ive horrified myself realising how unconsciously messy I was, and now Im proud of myself picking up after myself. I even have inside the cupboards organised because now they match the rest of the house! They didnt bug me before but they do now!

having a cleaner made me less lazy not more. More neat and thoughtfull not less.
No one was more surprised than me!

Congratz Alex!

Love my cleaning lady, can't remember life before her and can't imagine life without her anymore actually....

Last edited:
cleaners are gold!

was a messy person myself and was in the "clean madly and let it fall to bits over weeks and then have to do it again" category.

The thing that surprised me was if you know a stranger is coming in weekly to scrub kitchen bathrooms and vacuum, suddenly you notice the mini- messes you make,

I really didnt tidy up as i went, didnt pick stuff up of the floor as I dropped it. Before the cleaner comes, you have to clear the floors and declutter or thier job is much less efficient and takes longer.... that means you spend more money!

my house is now revamped and clutter free, organised and always presentable. Ive horrified myself realising how unconsciously messy I was, and now Im proud of myself picking up after myself. I even have inside the cupboards organised because now they match the rest of the house! They didnt bug me before but they do now!

having a cleaner made me less lazy not more. More neat and thoughtfull not less.

:D Downstairs is now ready for a cleaner to come through....

Spare room still looks like a bomb hit it though !

Last edited:
cleaners are gold!

Yep totally agree. :)

I have cleaner in once a fortnight as well.

In between to tackle the dog and cat hair problem I picked myself up one of these and one of these for the cat that doesn't like being brushed. The difference they make is incredible.

Hi Steve. I don't have animal hair problems but I'm curious to know just how good this robot is? We have timber floors through the house with carpets just in the bedrooms.

I vacuum the bedroom carpets but use an Enjo mop on the timber floors (dry mop to pick up dust and the wet version to mop the floors).

If this worked, I could pop it on and save me the "dry" part of the equation. Often the only reason I have to use the "wet" Enjo mop is because I'm too lazy to get the dust up and I'm wondering if this type of thing could do that part of it for me.

Also, how noisy is this thing? And I notice it can sense the top of a set of stairs, so I assume it would maybe not travel over the join where the timber and carpet meets, but I'm wondering about that too.

One of those robots would rock ... do they pick up peanuts? I'm on perpetual peanut patrol now the baby can scoot around a fair bit. After Christmas and birthday season he eats lolly wrappers and bits of wrapping paper and stickytape that I missed and the vacuum doesn't pick up. Not sure a robot would survive a toddler though ...

The cat very helpfully brings mice inside to eat the peanuts. She shows off and plays with them for ages and they get away ...

Hi Steve. I don't have animal hair problems but I'm curious to know just how good this robot is? We have timber floors through the house with carpets just in the bedrooms.

I vacuum the bedroom carpets but use an Enjo mop on the timber floors (dry mop to pick up dust and the wet version to mop the floors).

If this worked, I could pop it on and save me the "dry" part of the equation. Often the only reason I have to use the "wet" Enjo mop is because I'm too lazy to get the dust up and I'm wondering if this type of thing could do that part of it for me.

Also, how noisy is this thing? And I notice it can sense the top of a set of stairs, so I assume it would maybe not travel over the join where the timber and carpet meets, but I'm wondering about that too.

Hi Wylie,

I have timber floors throughout as well and a bit of lino. Works wonders, the amount of dust and hair it picks up is incredible. It also has a sensor inside that detects particularly dirty areas and will go over these spots more until they're clean. I also have a rug in the living room for the dog to sit on (ie. covered in hair) and it cleans this perfectly as well.

Cats were wary of it at first but are used to it now and just walk out of the way when it approaches. Some days it seems to be gunning for my black siamese cross! My German Shepherd was scared of it the first day (he's a wuss), but now is fascinated by it and often follows it around the house.

The big selling point for me is that it takes no effort on my part. There's no way I'd be pulling out the Dyson every day, but with Roomba I press the button every morning while I'm getting ready for work for a daily clean up. When my house is cleaned once a fortnight they still drag out the dyson (cos they're sceptical of the Roomba and the Dyson for that matter :rolleyes:) and mop the wood floors. You can also get another version from iRobot that washes and dries the floor as well as vacuum. But I don't believe that version is available in Aust, so you'd have to order from US (see thread on GST and imports :p)

Added benefit is that it goes under the furniture and bed which whilst in theory can be reached by a regular vacuum, usually isn't. ;)

I was surprised with the noise. I was expecting a massive sound, but it's not too bad at all, probably a little quieter than a regular vacuum cleaner - obviously it can't be silent as with any vacuum. I wouldn't have it going in the room while I'm watching TV, I just set the invisible wall for it to stay in the other half of the house if I was doing something and didn't want to be bothered. Though now I think if it, even if it was in the room while you're watching TV it's not that bad, you'd probably just turn the volume up a bit.

It can sense the difference between stairs and joins between floor types and rooms, so has no problem travelling over eg. from my timber floor onto the lino, or over the wooden lip that leads onto the bathroom tiles.

Only issues I've experienced: my coffee table is just the right height for the Roomba to occasionally wedge half under if it hits it at the wrong angle. Also, I don't mind it at all, but because it picks up so much (or perhaps because I have pets?) dirt/hair, once I've used it twice I usually empty the catchment and clean the brushes - a process that takes all of 2 mins. But then you're saving what - 30 mins(?) by not vacuuming the whole house so I don't understand people that complain about that task. It's actually quite satisfying to me to see every other day how much it picks up and see what would have been flying around my house.

One of those robots would rock ... do they pick up peanuts? I'm on perpetual peanut patrol now the baby can scoot around a fair bit. After Christmas and birthday season he eats lolly wrappers and bits of wrapping paper and stickytape that I missed and the vacuum doesn't pick up. Not sure a robot would survive a toddler though ...

The cat very helpfully brings mice inside to eat the peanuts. She shows off and plays with them for ages and they get away ...

Haven't tried peanuts or lolly wrappers specifically, but yes it does pick up small items. Sticky tape may pose an issue, not sure? :D

Buy some peanuts and test it :D

Mmmmm peanuts. And if anyone says if you don't want peanuts on the floor don't buy peanuts, the answer is "no". I like peanuts. So does the small messy peanut distribution device that roams my house.

steve, how much did you roughly pay ? Jsut for fun I googled them and found them from I think just under $100, to over $500- 600....

Under $100, really? An iRobot or a different brand?

I bought mine from Harvey Norman for $399. Was tempted to buy it from Amazon cheaper, but figured it probably wasn't the best idea for a large piece of electronic equipment. Might use Amazon when it comes to buying parts down the track - I'll compare prices at that time to the Aussie importers web site at irobot.com.au

If buying from US you have the option of all the different models. HN only had the 530 model for sale.

Nah not an irobot, probably no name brand.....there's usually cheap versions of things out there but if they are worth it, I wouldnt know... but they were the odd ones out, it seemed the rest were your price or up, which made snes to me...

I was just curious, might have been a good way to spend $100 !

arrrgh - over the last 3 weeks my cat has bought home 10 field mice and one bush rat. all dead. middle of the night.

meow meow meow (praise me for being a good hunter) crunch crunch (yum)

the joys of living near a park.

meow meow meow (praise me for being a good hunter) crunch crunch (yum)
Until its a rabbit and the crunch crunch is just the head, the rest bleeds out on the kitchen floor (eww).

We are two doors down from a very large vacant block with a spectacular crop of weeds. I think she finds a lot of her snacks there, it certainly has rabbit holes in it.

Back on topic, we're well into our serious decluteringorganisationcleaning frenzy. The house (while the toys are contained) is starting to look disturbingly like some sort of magazine shoot for a country house.

Bathroom not so much, while it is a nice shiny clean white now, we bought the shower curtain in garish colours to match the bright aqua walls, and I've been at the other half to put up towel rails (had the house and the towel rails 2.5 years and have yet to connect the two) up since I finished painting (4 coats!!!) and are they up? Noooooooo :rolleyes:

God, I llurve my cleaner!!! She's a local lady who uses Enjo products to do my place, ie. no chemicals, just water. So I come home on Fridays and there's no smell of anything, yet when I run my hands over surfaces, it's sooooooo nice and clean. Love it, love it.

She's a bit more expensive though. $80 for 2 hours every fortnight. It's worth it though for my daughter who has allergies. Given I'm working longish hours at work, I have so many better things to do than do deep cleans every once in a while. And it makes me keep things tidy so she can do her magic.

Jireh

Back