Yields in Sydney

Go West ??? :)

Somehow not so long time ago I read in the news that in Sydney West area is affected by the mortgage stress by lag 3 months behind the payment ?

would that means some of the house in that area defaulting ?

I hope so... it'll put the house prices down and drive the rental up.

Hiya too.

Yeilds in Sydney relative to capital gains seem to be very bad except in Marrickville.

Evand may not agree.

Hiya Belbo

You mean it is better else in Australia??? More than 8%??

If so, show me where (link please); i'm ready and i'm keen!:)

(no mining towns for me tho!)

???

There's mortgage stress in the area and you're hoping rent will go up there...

Mortgage stress is a completely different thing to rental demand.

Fact: Rent is going up there. This is not a pipedream, but real life. I have several in the same area and my rents have been climbing continually for several years now. Sure, they will stop at some time, but since I'm now getting north of $100pw EXTRA for each of them that I own, I've got no complaints. As they say, Cashflow is king.:D

Try 2 bed units in punchbowl/lakemba for $210-$220k rent $320pw.

13kms from CBD :)

Like anything, including shares, you have to take more risks to get higher return. In Nathan's case higher returns are possible, but you need to invest in more dodgy locations where the quality of the tenants may not be ideal at times.
These locations might be good when the economy is OK, but these high yielder locations will feel the most strain when the economy goes into recession.

Mortgage stress is a completely different thing to rental demand.

Fact: Rent is going up there. This is not a pipedream, but real life. I have several in the same area and my rents have been climbing continually for several years now. Sure, they will stop at some time, but since I'm now getting north of $100pw EXTRA for each of them that I own, I've got no complaints. As they say, Cashflow is king.:D

Well rents have been climbing up in many places for several years. It is not exclusive to that area.

But if I were to buy now, what I want to know is will rents go up now given the mortgage stress and the already unaffordable situation?

Well rents have been climbing up in many places for several years. It is not exclusive to that area.

But if I were to buy now, what I want to know is will rents go up now given the mortgage stress and the already unaffordable situation?

You were originally replying to Vaughan, and Vaughan was referring to Western Sydney. You are in Melbourne. Do you know ANYTHING about the Western Sydney area other than stereotypes? Or are you just picking up the fear from JohnHenry's post below.

Western Sydney always has mortgage stress because it is one of the few places that those on low wages can afford to buy. Some of them don't have good money handling skills either. Western Sydney is NOT unaffordable.

Go West ??? :)

Somehow not so long time ago I read in the news that in Sydney West area is affected by the mortgage stress by lag 3 months behind the payment ?

would that means some of the house in that area defaulting ?

Like I said, mortgage stress and rental demand are two different things. When looking to purchase a PPOR, most people look for the best they can afford, so the home that they are purchasing would, in many cases, be a more expensive one than the one they choose to rent. As you are aware, mortgage payments are often MORE than the rent. So.....it stands to reason that they may not be able to afford a mortgage, but since it is cheaper to rent they can do that.

Another thing to note, is that if someone falls on hard times, they may get rental assistance from Centrelink. There is no such thing as Mortgage assistance.

You were originally replying to Vaughan, and Vaughan was referring to Western Sydney.

--

Sorry, this turned into a long post. Executive summary: if you want to know where western sydney is heading, go to the Westfield at Penrith. A truly World Class shopping centre, absolutely stunning. They even have an Apple Store. Yea that's right, Apple sees the bogan westies as their customers.

--

Yep, I'm settling on a house in Whalan later this week. My first IP. :)

I tend to "get into things" when I do them, so I started investigating property investment in a major way. My wife and I went to a Positive RE weekend seminar 12 months ago and I found this site soon after. The lessons I have taken on are:

0) The "numbers" are the most important part of an IP. If the numbers don't work then it's not a good investment.

1) Make money on the purchase.
2) Keep the loans separate.
3) Add value through renovation or subdivision.
4) Keep the rent at market value always.
5) Get a good property manager.

(I often start with a rule zero: its often the one that never gets mentioned but is the most important.)

We are buying on equity from our PPOR so it's essentially 100% OPM. We want the properties to be cash-flow neutral or better (I don't mind paying tax on income) so we want properties with high yield. Secondarily we also want good capital growth in the long-term future. We are buying to hold.

After going through the property data from the magazines the high yields are either regional centres like Wagga or Werris Creek, mining towns in the middle of nowhere, or 2770.

We decided on buying in an area that is reasonable commuting distance to Sydney: from Liverpool in south to west Penrith and north to the lower central coast like Woy Woy. (I'm originally from Mangrove Mountain near Gosford.) Must have easy access to trains, highways, or both.

So the very first 2770 place I looked at was in Wilmott, 8 Weisel Place. Wife and kids wouldn't even get out of the car... cannot blame them. Not pleasant.

But we persevered and in the next few weeks discovered Mount Druitt, Hebersham, Whalan... all the OTHER areas in 2770. There are a lot of places around there are beautiful. At night all you can hear are birds (and a few dogs barking). No cars. If it was near the coast it'd be the Northern Beaches 20 years ago.

I'd live at Whalan. Streets are clean, lawns are tidy, nice cars in driveways, usually more than one (and none on bricks). A couple of commission houses in the area look sad but these are in the minority and are actively being sold off and made private (these are the sales with "must be owner occupied" caveats). The whole area is gentrifying: private money is being spent and second stories are being added, places are getting re-cladded and effort is being put into painting them up nicely. There will be cafes appearing there soon. The trick, as others have already noted, is that the rest of the world hasn't worked it out yet. Think Marrickville or Waterloo or Zetland 10 years ago. If you think 2770 is a long way from Sydney then you need to change perspective and realise how close they are to Penrith and Parramatta.

We just bought 3-1-1 fibro ex-housie for $220k that was renting for $270 per week, place looks and smells terrible and was on the market for 3-4 months originally asking $260k. We're doing a $15k reno (kitchen, floors, paint inside and out, tidy the front lawn and gardens) and should get $340+ pw. A 4 bedder 2 doors down the road with original kitchen and bathroom is rented for $360 by the same PMs. Land is large enough to put a granny flat on in the future too.

The amazing thing is that properties like this are EVERYWHERE out here. The low hanging fruit, those that only need paint or simple reno work to add value, has already gone. Only renovated places or those that need major work (and are over-priced) and left. But the yields on these renovated places are still excellent, and the nice ones with good tenants are selling fast for their asking price despite the market. REA said many buyers are owner-occupiers, not investors.

We're already on the hunt for IP 2, 3 and 4. I'm considering other suburbs, to diversify the risk, but none even come close to the yields in 2770 so we'll likely buy more here.

Last edited:
You were originally replying to Vaughan, and Vaughan was referring to Western Sydney. You are in Melbourne. Do you know ANYTHING about the Western Sydney area other than stereotypes? Or are you just picking up the fear from JohnHenry's post below.

Western Sydney always has mortgage stress because it is one of the few places that those on low wages can afford to buy. Some of them don't have good money handling skills either. Western Sydney is NOT unaffordable.

I was replying to you regarding your point that, because rent has gone up in the last few years, it mitigates any fear of mortgage stress and economic downturn. It doesn't matter who I was replying to originally.

Western Sydney

Well done Vaughan on your Whalan purchase....many people confuse where they would live themselves with where they would invest...

I would never live in Mount Druitt myself but i would invest there!

With those yields, you would not be hampered with your next IP purchase i reckon...and that is very important!

Good on you also that you deign to drive there and have a look....and yes, on my first visit i dare not get out of my car.....but by my 3rd visit, bah! humbug! decent people everywhere...many people talk down these suburbs but have never been themselves...my St George banker nearly got a heart attack when i told her i am considering Mt Druitt; but then she is the one suffering mortgage stress and i am the one enjoying not having to work...:p

BTW, agree with Penrith Westfield, so much so, i bought my latest IP in Penrith, walking distance to CBD!:p

I was replying to you regarding your point that, because rent has gone up in the last few years, it mitigates any fear of mortgage stress and economic downturn. It doesn't matter who I was replying to originally.
You were confusing mortgage stress with an inability to pay rent and you were doing that in reply to a discussion Western Sydney. You must be having difficulty in comprehension today. THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS AND the Western Sydney market is much different to Inner City Melbourne.
I never buy with more than 2% yield.

Remember, low yields equal high growth. Learn some bond pricing theory peoples.

Was this said tongue in cheek?:confused:

It is the properties with the low yeilds that are most at risk in the event of economic downturn. Not only is the purchase price extremely high (mortgage stress) you have the risk of the tenants financial situation changing and not being able to afford the rent, so they will seek out cheaper properties.

Personally, I don't really care about the CG. OK, let me clarify it a bit more. I know CG will come, however I am more concerned about the yeild. My properties put money into my pocket each and every month. Even if Hubby lost his job tomorrow, we would survive.

Admittedly it would be hard, we'd probably have to move into our old PPOR (mortgage free) and rent out the current one. Take on a bit of part-time work, even if just mowing some lawns to help fund lifestyle choices. But the point is, that we could do it. Could you, on your 2% yeilds?

Well done Vaughan on your Whalan purchase....many people confuse where they would live themselves with where they would invest...

I would never live in Mount Druitt myself but i would invest there!

Good on you also that you deign to drive there and have a look....and yes, on my first visit i dare not get out of my car.....but by my 3rd visit, bah! humbug! decent people everywhere...many people talk down these suburbs but have never been themselves...my St George banker nearly got a heart attack when i told her i am considering Mt Druitt; but then she is the one suffering mortgage stress and i am the one enjoying not having to work...:p

BTW, agree with Penrith Westfield, so much so, i bought my latest IP in Penrith, walking distance to CBD!:p

It's funny how perceptions change over time. My BIL moved to Mt Druitt well over 20 years ago now. I remember going for a visit and thinking to myself that he'd gone mad. I'd NEVER live there.

Fast forward approx 15 years & we move to the same suburb after losing our PPOR in a failed business. It was the only place we could afford and be able to continue our sport. We've moved on now to a nicer suburb, but still in Western Sydney. I love it! Housing is affordable and there are, as you say, decent people everywhere. There are lots of facilities, it's only 10-15 mins to Penrith and less than 30 mins to Parramatta or Liverpool. The F4 makes getting around very quick and easy.

Of course, you do have some rough types, but you get them everywhere. In all the time I've lived here we've never encountered any major problems. The most annoying of all is the general public's perception of what the area is like and majority of them have never been here.

For instance, I was talking to a customer the other day (I work at the Roller Skating Rink in Sefton) and she asked me where I lived. When I told her she was very worried for my safety, living in such a "dangerous area" (she'd never been here). The catch was that she lived in Auburn, a place that I've been to frequently and I'm always very careful because that place does scare me.

Last edited:
Back