Young investors - tell all #2

i just turned 23, bought my first house when i was 18 and have bought two since. i owe under 800K with a (small) portfolio of 920-950K

living in a rental with my partner and son
im a boilermaker on 60k gross including overtime :(

cant believe i just found this thread. alot of good info n inspiration on here.

im 28, wife also 27, married for one year very shortly. :eek: it has gone quick tho. finished high school in 2001, went onto uni for 3 years. dropped out. stuffed around for a year, then went and got an electrical apprenticeship. started on around 15bucks an hour, and slowly moved up during the 4 years.

i now work 4500k away from where i did my aprenticeship in melb to up in the pilbara chasing the big bucks. it did enable me to save a good deposit in just over a year and purcahse our first IP as well as some shares this year. and just recently purchase 2x 2 bed units.

future plans are to buy at least 1IP a year for the next 5 or so years.

cant believe i just found this thread. alot of good info n inspiration on here.

im 28, wife also 27, married for one year very shortly. :eek: it has gone quick tho. finished high school in 2001, went onto uni for 3 years. dropped out. stuffed around for a year, then went and got an electrical apprenticeship. started on around 15bucks an hour, and slowly moved up during the 4 years.

i now work 4500k away from where i did my aprenticeship in melb to up in the pilbara chasing the big bucks. it did enable me to save a good deposit in just over a year and purcahse our first IP as well as some shares this year. and just recently purchase 2x 2 bed units.

future plans are to buy at least 1IP a year for the next 5 or so years.

This is the type of story we should hear more of. Unfortunately, most young people are happy to just whinge and whine and live off mum and dad at their expense. Well done Jonesy. :D

i just turned 23, bought my first house when i was 18 and have bought two since. i owe under 800K with a (small) portfolio of 920-950K

living in a rental with my partner and son
im a boilermaker on 60k gross including overtime :(

Why the sad face! 18 and you purchased a house. Well done:)

cheers handyandy.
it has been a big sacrifice moving away but to get ahead i believe the sacrifice for a few years is worth it over the long term.

I'd hate to say this to dampen your spirits, but with the way prices are moving you should be happy if you keep your pants on if your time frame is a few years. The downward spiral seems to have just started?

with the amount im earning atm i can cover alot of extra repayments even if prices do go south n rates up. so im not too worry. im in for the long haul not for short term CG. but long term CG and rent increases. sure it will slow me down a bit. but people will always need a place to live.

Yea that's what the Americans thought.

Oh and the British, Irish, Italians, Greeks, Spanish, Portugese. Did I miss any former world powers? Oh and Japan.

with the amount im earning atm i can cover alot of extra repayments even if prices do go south n rates up. so im not too worry. im in for the long haul not for short term CG. but long term CG and rent increases. sure it will slow me down a bit. but people will always need a place to live.

That's a good position to be in. Control the things you can control.

Nobody knows for sure what the housing market will do. Some people seem to have a crystal ball and can see the market taking a massive hit.

It is up to you whether you would rather be on the sidelines and watch the world go by or jump in and try and set yourself up for the future. I mean what is the alternative, I gather you are working offshore or in the mines? So many of those people get their higher than average incomes and blow it on liquor and other things. You have a plan to invest in good property, you don't need to be crucified for that.

thanks for the positive reply Dan. yeah in the mines. it may be all doom and gloom but when that is over, things will eventually pick up. im able to comfortably invest so i dont see a reason not to.

my opinion, circumstances, money and life anyway.

Great post dan!

Jonesy, you probably already know and are doing a few things to mitigate falls in prices & maintaining cashflow i.e. buy below market value, add value, keep on top of rental increases, use income tax variation form etc.

yep. sure am. :)
brought a couple of units this year, 130k & 135k renting for 155 and 175 respectively. rent is increasing soon to so the PM advised. :) only small biccies at this stage...

I just joined this forum after a recommendation from a friend.

I'm 23 years old and looking to get into property investing. Reading all these posts from people my age and even younger starting out is definitely inspiring me to go out and do it!

I just joined this forum after a recommendation from a friend.

I'm 23 years old and looking to get into property investing. Reading all these posts from people my age and even younger starting out is definitely inspiring me to go out and do it!

That's great, but be careful and do your research first. Don't just go out and buy the first thing you can afford. Use this forum to learn, learn, learn. You will be miles ahead of all your peer group if you do that.:D

started when i was 27, if only i knew this forum when i started so i didnt make the mistake purchasing the first property, bought second one when i was 29 which i thought was a good buy (after learning few calculations and getting myself little bit educated from this forum)

i am pretty highly geared (85.7%!!) at the moment which sometimes causing some stress in the back of my mind, especially with the current trend which will expose me even further

now i am 30 and looking for another one by using equity from second house, but it would have to be really really good buy or else i could be in trouble if the market declines further

Sorry should have clarified it a bit better. Have a decent sized deposit for it so will be up by a couple of dollars each week. Being a brand new build, I'll have the bonus of depreciation come tax time. I'm in a bit of an accumulation phase at the moment so LVR is quite high. trying to build up some equity/pay down debt as my next plan before purchasing again

Just had to say, always factor in the opportunity cost of your capital as it could be earning money. For example.... let's say I buy a house outright in cash. Am I positively geared just because my loan is 0? It's possible to make your investment positively geared via artificial means (eg putting in a larger than 20% deposit) but that doesn't mean it is actually making money for you.

I always factor in the opportunity cost of capital and aim for a neutrally to CF+ investment property. Am fine with slightly negative cashflow in the early years but not too negative. Hence anything with 5.2% yield (eg. purchase $400k, rent $400pw) I don't touch. It has to be more around 7%+ yield. Highest yielding one is 8.8% (purchased 1.5 years ago)

In the early stages of getting IP#3 if all goes well.... running into serviceability walls though. Not with us, but with the banks. We can service all our mortgages fine, we have stable jobs and a good household income, and we are pretty frugal hence we have been saving a lot each month. Just need the banks to start coming to the party too...........

Back