Young investors - tell all #2

Hi All,

Good to hear that you are taking control of your lives and not expecting someone to do it for you. Buying the right investment property will set you up for life. The multiplying effect is there for those who do the research and grab the opportunity when it arises. Property will always be the safest investment with high capital growth at time of sale and strong income return whilst holding.

Please feel free to contact me via our website, coastalpropertyagents.com.au.

Have a great day and happy investing. :)

lol at least make it a bit more subtle :)

i just turned 23, bought my first house when i was 18 and have bought two since. i owe under 800K with a (small) portfolio of 920-950K

living in a rental with my partner and son
im a boilermaker on 60k gross including overtime :(

Go to WA mate, do some constuction work on the mining projects or the many Gas projects underway over there at the moment.
Boilermakers are in big demand.
You would earn atleast 150k with all expenses paid with flights home to see your family on your breaks.

Go to WA mate, do some constuction work on the mining projects or the many Gas projects underway over there at the moment.
Boilermakers are in big demand.
You would earn atleast 150k with all expenses paid with flights home to see your family on your breaks.

180k for a boiler maker fly in fly out of perth

Just had to say, always factor in the opportunity cost of your capital as it could be earning money. For example.... let's say I buy a house outright in cash. Am I positively geared just because my loan is 0? It's possible to make your investment positively geared via artificial means (eg putting in a larger than 20% deposit) but that doesn't mean it is actually making money for you.

I always factor in the opportunity cost of capital and aim for a neutrally to CF+ investment property. Am fine with slightly negative cashflow in the early years but not too negative. Hence anything with 5.2% yield (eg. purchase $400k, rent $400pw) I don't touch. It has to be more around 7%+ yield. Highest yielding one is 8.8% (purchased 1.5 years ago)

In the early stages of getting IP#3 if all goes well.... running into serviceability walls though. Not with us, but with the banks. We can service all our mortgages fine, we have stable jobs and a good household income, and we are pretty frugal hence we have been saving a lot each month. Just need the banks to start coming to the party too...........

There is nothing artificial about positively gearing and having minimal debt.

What you're looking for is IRR. The true measure of how successful your investments are is IRR. Any serious investor would understand it, although many people make a lot of money without understanding it - but you won't be making $10m+ (anything sub $10m is not serious money generally speaking).

@Deltaberry. I'm quite familiar with IRR etc (... ROE, PVI/PVE etc etc!) I see your point re: nothing artificial about having minimal debt... but I was just correcting the common fallacy that one's investment is positively geared just from having a sizeable deposit (if you read the quote I referred to in my original post).

Cheers :)

That's because doctors are paid from the government purse. Contractors/tradies get paid by big public companies that make $20bn per year. Easy to see why :)

Yes i guess thats true. The government has no chance of competiting with the BHPs, RIOs, Woodside, Chevron etc.. do they.

Ive been working around Oz riding the mining boom for a few years. Its money for jam.

It's because this country is protectionist. That's all

Open up immigration and let skilled tradies through, do swaps etc and I guarantee you tradies will earn less than $50k.

Could not agree more......open the gates and it would get to 50-70k which is what trades people should be paid.

The unions are really to blame.

It's because this country is protectionist. That's all

Open up immigration and let skilled tradies through, do swaps etc and I guarantee you tradies will earn less than $50k.

Could not agree more......open the gates and it would get to 50-70k which is what trades people should be paid.

The unions are really to blame.

ETU all the way brother. My next construction job will be on the Chevron LNG Plant on barrow island in Karratha.

190k per annum just for standard electrician tradesman. Thanks for coming!!!!!

Once all the LNG plants start construction in QLD, WA , NT , aswell as big miniing expansions like Olympic dam.

Tradesman wages are just going to keep going >>>>>>>$$$$$$$

ETU all the way brother. My next construction job will be on the Chevron LNG Plant on barrow island in Karratha.

190k per annum just for standard electrician tradesman. Thanks for coming!!!!!

Once all the LNG plants start construction in QLD, WA , NT , aswell as big miniing expansions like Olympic dam.

Tradesman wages are just going to keep going >>>>>>>$$$$$$$

There won't be that many LNG projects.

Forced unionism again. Got to love these ALP and Greenies.
http://www.theage.com.au/national/e...for-uni-students-20111011-1lj3e.html#comments

Last edited:
There won't be that many LNG projects.

Forced unionism again. Got to love these ALP and Greenies.
http://www.theage.com.au/national/e...for-uni-students-20111011-1lj3e.html#comments

Why wont there be that many LNG projects?

*Gorgon LNG Project , WA
*Pluto LNG Project, WA
*Devils Creek LNG , WA
*Wheatstone LNG , WA
*Browse LNG, WA
*Itchys Gas Field Development, NT
*Curtis Island LNG , QLD
*Australian pacific LNG, QLD
*Santos LNG, QLD
*Gladstone LNG, QLD

Just to name a few Deltaberry....

Back