Your Scariest Moment/s

A couple of aviation NDEs, (near death experiences)

-Flying aerobatics in a Russian warbird and the elevator became jammed whilst at the top of a loop. Recovered and after working out how to fly with no elevator, landed at nearest airport, with a large thud. Big Russian aeroplane somehow kept on rolling. Stopped outside a friends hangar, told him what had happened and he looked at the tail and removed the screwdriver that was wedged in the controls. Still have that screwdriver, and if its yours come and ask for it back, no hard feelings.

- Filming an ad for Kodak with 3 aeroplanes in close formation when the camera plane turned right in front about 50m away. The following break must have looked fantastic from the ground but 4 aeroplanes doing 200kph going in random directions looked very different from inside. The camera plane pilot bought the beers that night.

But I'd do that and more anytime before agreeing with my wife and how her clothes fit, there is just no escape from some NDE.

We're asking if an outfit is flattering or unflattering. It's a poorly phrased question and not one I've ever asked (because I know what size my butt is, I'm not an idiot), but I always ask my hubbie what he thinks of my outfit, accessories, etc., because I trust his sense of style :)
so, why then don't they simply ask; "does this pair of pants/top/dress look good or not?"

My wife - who has always been trim and hot - has never asked if her bum looks big, because she knows it doesn't.

Maybe that's the problem right there all along for those who have to ask - they know their backside is big, but are hoping for the best and trying to delude themselves? ;)

My scariest moment was very recent.
My wife went into labour on the 23rd and we had our baby Max in the early hours on the 24th via a C Section. (This was scary, but nowhere near the scariest)
After 4 days in hospital, my wife started complaining of bad abdo pain, and her wound started oozing, on day 5 we were kicked out of hospital (as they were very busy) and given antibiotics for the wound infection, but no pain medication.
Day 7 I drove my wife to hospital with severe abdo pain (We live a 1 minute walk from hospital), after 3 hours she was finally given pain relief, and then finally omitted into the hospital. A few hours passed and the pain was still not getting better, doctors did a CT scan and this revealed that her internal sutures had given way and part of her bowel had drop through the hole and was being constricted (thus the pain).
Next thing I know, a code has been called (emergency surgery), and she is wheeled away for surgery.
Doctors explained to knew that worst case scenario is that the bowel has died and she may require a stoma (poo bag), and if bleeding occurs that she may need a full hysterectomy (No more children)
Best case scenario was that the hole was big enough and had not constricted her bowel enough to kill it.
Upon hearing this I broke down and was a mess.
During all this we were lucky that my inlaws were able to look after Max
Fortunately, we were lucky to get the best outcome and she is now at home recovering again.
This experience really hit home at how precious life is and how quickly things can change.

I think redwing and I must have had a similar past.

1/ Going swimming at night with a group of drunk friends under a bridge in NQ. We are all sitting on a concrete pylon when someone notices a couple of yellow lights glowing in the water.

Most of us thought they are reflections from the sodium yellow lights on the bridge above until they disappear and resurface in another location.

So we all decides its likely a croc and our best chance is for all six of us to hit the water swim the 10 odd meters to shore as a group and hopefully confuse it like a shoal of sardines.

I could have out swum Thorpey that night I think.

2/ Got hooked up across two phases of a three phase outlet for what felt like 5 minutes but was more like 5 seconds. Got blown off and felt like every muscle in my arms and chest was torn off the bone.

3/ Rode in the back of a Hilux tray doing 80klm/h around a tight bend and we got on two wheels. Got out and walked home.

4/ Having a 8 foot Tiger Shark follow a "berley" trail of dead catfish up to the back of the boat on a dark night in the Pine River Cape York.

There was phosphorous in the water and I was kind of mesmerized by it running across the anchor rope.

So I'm staring into the deep hanging over the back with a 100lb handline as the highlighted shape floats up and before I realized what it was it got to a couple of meters away sees the boat and lazily spins around and swims back down. Crapped myself.

Good times.

I could have out swum Thorpey that night I think.

That made me remember when I was going out with a lifesaver for a couple of years, spent a lot of time out behind the break.

One day with two girlfriends, we were right out the back when the shark alarms went off. I hate to admit it, but I was thinking "take one of them" :D. I've never got to shore so fast.

I also know a chap who tells me he got his first job because four mates from the workplace (he knew the boss or a worker there) went fishing one night in Moreton Bay. They were rammed in the dark by a larger boat and their boat sank. They had a huge esky and one man got in whilst the other three hung onto the side. As the night wore on, they were taken one by one, until only the one in the esky was left. I believe this is a true story. Makes me shudder.

Swimming way outside the flags at Noosa and got caught in a rip. I'm a pretty good swimmer but couldnt believe how fast you lose energy. Finally thought, now matter how embarrassing I will have to call for help and could see my friend over to my left and started yelling and waving. As I did so I was unconsciously swimming across the rip and got out of it. Staggered up to shore and couldnt move for over half an hour.
White water rafting in NZ over the biggest navigatable falls. As the boat went over the top I knew we were out of control and I only had one hand on rope pulls. Knew from past experience up at Kakadu I have no sense of direction under water so hung on for grim death. Just as I was out of breath, the rubber boat popped up and i could breath again.
Have a small motor scooter and was going up a dirt hill into a premises and got caught in a water rut, hand locked onto the accelerator and nearly threw me off, but managed to regain balance.
Last one, just lately which resulted in that iron taste in the mouth was when partner rushed out of the 4x4 so fast he left it in neutral and we started to roll back downhill into another car. Couldnt get over to the brake fast enough. As a passenger I should have thought of the hand brake first but in mindset as a driver, first thought was the brake

Another shark event would be when a work mate was taken by a shark (believed to be a tiger shark), we searched without joy, only finding some pieces of equipment

Redwing and I worked in the same industry. I remember those events well. I had a small run in with a shark myself. I was just finishing my first row of pearl shell one morning surround by a school of Scarlet Perch when I saw shark to my right. It was moving pretty quickly towards me. It's not unusual for whalers etc to make a run at you and turn at the last minute, but this one kept coming. I'd like to say that I reacted somehow but I didn't have time. It hit me on the hand.
Eyes rolled back, gills flared.
Chomp, chomp.
It went through to my left, wheeled round and looked like it was going to come back to have another go but thankfully, it straightened its course and took off. I looked down at my gloved hand. It seemed alright. I didn?t feel any pain so I figured I'd finish the line (since I was still trying to race the clock and make my quota). Nonetheless, I thought I'd better take a look so I took my glove off. When you're underwater it doesn't take much blood to look like a lot. The glove had filled with blood since the top off my fist and the bottom of my wrist had multiple punctures. I figured later that the meat clever I was holding may have stopped it from fully closing its jaws. I put the glove back on and trailing blood, I started swimming for my offsider. He was about 30 m away. I got to him and tapped him on the shoulder. He gave me a "what"? signal. I took my glove off. He got the message and we headed for the boat while simultaneously trying to make our heads turn 180 degrees so we could see what was behind us...

- Choking on a bacon sandwich as an 8yo, and having my brothers just sit there watching and asking if I was OK
- Nearly drowning in my woollen footy jumper as a 7yo after unexpectedly being nudged into a pool with a complete plastic pool cover
- Swimming and a fin broke the water heading really quickly straight for a mate and I... thank goodness it turned out to be a dolphin

- knife fight with night club security guards in Bali - back when it was wild and basically lawless
- stuck in a rip in heavy surf and trying to keep my (ex) wife afloat whilst pulling her out to the side of the rip
- woken at 4 am with someone banging hard on the front door. Open it and guy that was just driving past says the house next door is on fire - get out. Sure enough, it was - get the kids and missus out and safe, prepare to fight the fire. Drunk guy next door had intentionally started the fire.
- playing golf and see a guy trying to lift someone out of a bunker. Sprint down, and limp guy is blue/grey - heart attack. Give CPR which is not easy when sand and the contents of his stomach are all over the place. Luckily he survives.
- wife had a miscarriage and she goes into hospital for a D and C (dilate and currette). Middle of the night and no-one around. An hour into the surgery and doctor comes up, says there has been a complication, wife has been cut internally and they are 'trying' to stop the bleeding. Says he will update me soon. Three hours later, no-one has come to update. No one around to ask. The worst things go through your head in that time / situation. Turns out, they just forgot about me! *******s. Wife recovers well.
- 5yo daughter is sick with whooping cough type thing. Wakes up in the night - lips, mouth and face turning blue. Can hear her breathing restricting - looks at me with those big blue eyes and whispers - "Help me Daddy, I can't breathe". My heart breaks. Lucky we have some prednisone on hand and give it her as a last resort and just in time whilst calling 000. Emergency rush to hospital - recovers well. Lucky she woke up!

Back