Your Share Portfolio Update

sunfish - i know their chart is terrible but it's an undervalued company and they pay decent dividends with one due soon. It's a long term hold.

I have no plans to sell any shares...just adding to portfolio.

Can you recommend any bargains I can add to my watchlist..especially blue chip shares.

I'm thinking of waiting it out. However, this is the first bearish market I've come across so I'm a little confused as to what to do. Those who are waiting to buy bargains, how long do you think you'll wait? I might wait until it appears the dust has settled but I haven't a clue how to identify that.

Down .......a lot!!

Couldn't hold off any longer and bought a few yesterday.

"The transfer of wealth from the impatient to the patient" :rolleyes:

I tell you what this is one hell of a learning experience following this thread, Thankyou all for your posts and pain.

Could someone please explain with an example what "shorting the market" is?

I have just watched a finance report on the world markets and to my surprise l was able to follow and understand the majority of all that was said, my ability to understanding it all came from this forum. Thanks.
yadreamin

Could someone please explain with an example what "shorting the market" is?

I have just watched a finance report on the world markets and to my surprise l was able to follow and understand the majority of all that was said, my ability to understanding it all came from this forum. Thanks.
yadreamin

Borrow a stock, sell it, then buy it back later (hopefully at a lower price) and return it to your lender.

You can also, for example, buy put options. Or use CFDs.
Alex

You don't borrow the shares personally. Your broker does that.

I've tried, but don't have the stomach for it.

BTW You can short indexes too.

You don't borrow the shares personally. Your broker does that.

I've tried, but don't have the stomach for it.

BTW You can short indexes too.

Well, I personally phone my broker and he buys. I am usually live on line watching the trades when I ask for my order placed.

It's gruelling alright... like a train wreck, I can't bear to look, yet... I can't look away.

I'm only slightly exposed, so only down a few grand at the moment, but as my first foray into share investing, it stings.

I want to go in harder, but being so new to it, I'm easily spooked. Not enough to sell as yet as I hold mostly blue chips.

Brenda,

That really is expensive for a broker :(

Unless of course you follow his recommendations, then you are paying for them within the fees.

If you pick your own you can get it a lot cheaper, just a thought for future reference should you decide to go it alone :)

You're honest TC. :D

But there is no way you can plan ahead because we really have no idea what tomorrow will bring. Even intra-day! XAO has just jumped 150 pts again. Wow!

I wonder if the Future Fund is putting it's toe in the water...

Haven't looked. Don't care. I am not geared (thank God) and only have $20,000 invested at the moment. Just shoving them in the bottom drawer as we speak.

One of the differences between share and property investments, is that you get a continous valuation of shares worth. If your in it for the long term, I think this can be a negative thing.

Look at it this way - if someone were to have there IP properties valued every day (or every week), it would probably add a lot more stress (have my IP's gone up or down today) to the whole property ownership thing (as well as expense......). Most people don't bother - they relax knowing that over the long term they can expect gains.

I suggest taking the same approach with shares - observing there valuation continously is only going to cause unecessary worry. Some days they will go up, some days they'll go down. Regardless of which day it is, if you've bought sensible companies, you can relax.

Back