Yuccas. Anyone growing them in Melbourne

Hi Everyone,

Are any of you growing Yuccas in Melbourne. The particular variety I am interested in are Yucca Elephantipe.

I want to grow them in pots in my front courtyard. The courtyard gets full sun during summer and only very minimal sun during winter, as it is shaded by the house at midday.

If you could share some experiences you may of had with them, like how often do they need water, what type of soil / fertilizer do they like, how do they stand up to the cold and frosts and how quickly do they grow.

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy them in Melbourne. I need 8 of a similar size.

i have eight yukkas. i bought them because i forget to water the garden :)

yukkas love the dry heat and can withstand frosts etc. they are desert plants.

mine still look fabulous, even after a year of sheer neglect from me.

i bought them from aummans in templestowe.

I have Yuccas here. There are 3 along the side fence. One is about 5 year old and the other 2 about 3 year old. They were planted in a sandy soil with little in the way of nutrients (1 bag of Black & Gold fertilizer added) and a fairly high clay base about 2 feet down.
They get sun most of the day until around 4pm ish and are never watered (maybe on the odd occassion in the 1st year).
I would estimate 1 is now just over 2.5M tall (not the oldest 1) and the other 2 are a shade over 2M. not bad for around 20 odd $'s each. Similar trunks/limbs (not heigh as they are raely sold this tall) I've seen on sale for well over $400 each.

On top of this I have transplanted 6 other shoots from these plant out the front which have all taken well. Just about ready to prepare some more for pots.

The trick it to treat 'em rough and don't water. Each time you remove leaves it will stimulate more growth and further shoots (limbs).

NB... when you remove any shoots or cut the top off a yucca you will need to seal where you cut it. A paint is readily available at most gardening places.

Regards
Steve

Back