Zoning R30 - block size 1400 sqm

Hi All
I am currently looking at a property which I am hoping to secure, it is a deceased estate and my agent knows the owners and they just want to offload it with no fuss, no interest in placing it on the market, you beauty:)

My agent also mentioned that he knows of investors in the area that had the zoning changed on their sites to increase density, now if I could manage to change this to R40 it would add significant value to my bottom line.

I have no clue whatsoever about doing this or whether this is even possible.

Anyone been down this road, are zonings set in concrete by council???

If I do secure this and I have a good chance of achieving R40 I would do it. However, even as is R30 it still provides excellent return for an option of 4 unit site/build similar to what Westminster is doing in Gwellup.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
MTR

i think spot rezonings tend to be pretty rare, i wouldnt be counting on it if i were you. id suggest speaking to a planner.

Thanks everyone

I can find out whether zoning change actually happened as my agent mentioned his name and I know him, it is a prominent agent in the area who develops. However I don't wish to do this now obviously until I secure the property.

As mentioned the numbers are very good regardless of whether I can or can not change to R40, at R30 I can build some very nice larger villas, and it also is in the best pocket of this area which helps with end values.

I believe my agent is underquoting this, he does this which is handy.

I best not get ahead of myself as I still need to secure it, and anything can happen. Invstor got the rug pulled out from under, this has happened to me before, wont be the first and wont be the last

Cheers
MTR

i would suspect you would have to have good cause ie surrounded by r40 or something.

I would say you would have more chance getting the block approved for 5 lots @ 280sqm on r30 before you would get it changed to r40.

but if you dont ask you dont get :D

cheers

I have heard of it being done in regional areas, where a farmer owns a paddock next to resi development, and applies to have the area re-zoned. It happened a lot in Margaret River area.

A farmer friend of mine sole off a small title, only to have a developer re-zone. He then did it to the next paddock. Turned a small fortune.

Ive not heard of it being done in the metro area, but Im guessing in certain circumstances it is possible. I doubt it is the norm or surely we would of heard about it. It would also make a mockery of the zoning system - if you could just rezone so that you could develop a site. I would also assume a long drawn out process, which would ultimately end up meaning greater profits if you just developed within the existing zoning parameters.

Blacky

In some councils they will allow some spot higher density rezoning if the area is able to support it infrastructure wise. So if it was close to a shopping centre, bus route, local rec centre etc it stands more of a chance.

My Gwelup land was originally R20 but it seems the last owners had the zoning increased to r30. I don't know the justification they used as none of the land is really near amenities. However I do know that newer subdivisions next to it were allowed 10% of their lots to be R30 so perhaps they used that as their justification.

Thinking outside the square could you do R30 4 x 300sqm lots with a remaining lot of between 150-200sqm and do a single bedroom dwelling in that? Single bedroom dwellings get a 50% density bonus so if my understandings are correct you only need half the amount of land for it.

Edit: check in with whoever did your last survey (LandDivision?) and see what they think. If you want to consult a planner I'm using Joe at URP for my SAT appeal.

I just found out they sold a similar size site for $1.2M in this area, why does this not surprise me anymore in the Perth market.

Spoke to my builder yesterday and he said its time to look at other areas where no one is really jumping in because its just getting too hard to make it work.

For those interested he mentioned the old parts of Mullaloo, end values high, not much competition and high demand for quality new product.

Cheers
MTR

Back