Zoning & Subdivision

Hi All,

I've been looking into buying a house in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney and converting it into, or building, Semis. I checked out the basic council / zoning info for the Randwick LGA and established the majority of the area is Zone 2A (Residential). Zone 2B allows subdivision to minimum lot sizes of 325m2. Zone 2A required minimum lot sizes of 400m2. I then spoke to council regarding my options if I was to buy something in Zone 2A and the person I spoke to said, "Council policy has just changed and we are no longer approving ANY further subdivision in Zone 2A".

Questions;

- If council simply decline to approve any further subdivision for Semis in Zone 2A is there any way around it other than taking them to the Land and Environment Court?

- Is it realistic to think I could buy a house in Zone 2A on the basis that I could then apply to council to change the zoning to Zone 2B to facilitate subdivision and creation of Semis. I note Council seem to indicate on their website that this is not done easily?

- Other than through standard subdivision is there any other way (type of ownership / title) that would allow me to create Semis from one house / on one block with separate ownership rights over each. IE - That would allow them to be sold or for that matter borrowed against separately in their own right.

Thanks, MF35.

If council simply decline to approve any further subdivision for Semis in Zone 2A is there any way around it other than taking them to the Land and Environment Court?
Not a lot of other options left I'm afraid. Used to be but those avenues closed now :rolleyes:
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/02/18/1203190740548.html

Is it realistic to think I could buy a house in Zone 2A on the basis that I could then apply to council to change the zoning to Zone 2B to facilitate subdivision and creation of Semis. I note Council seem to indicate on their website that this is not done easily?
Probably unrealistic.

guess it depends how much money and down time your willing to throw into getting it through the approval process?? because it will be coming out of your profit, might be better off finding something straight forward

Not worth it in my opinion. Also, changing zoning is a much bigger task than you realise.

Local councils make decisions looking at the bigger picture of what they want to see for the area in the future. Regardless of how shortsighted you think they are, there will always be, in any state, a number of lcoal and state govt processes you need to go through in order to affect change..expect at least 4 approval processes...ie.these take time. Only do it if you're really passionate about the area and what it needs. If you want to make money then move to another deal.

Back