Google IPO

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200408/s1180907.htm

Google's sour stock launch turns sweet
Internet search giant Google's shares have soared in a hectic launch on the Nasdaq exchange in New York, a spectacular comeback from the humiliation of its cut-price initial public offering (IPO).

Google, conducting the biggest Internet-related float since the 1990s technology bubble, soared 21.2 per cent to $US103 in the first hour, valuing the entire company at $US28 billion.

More than 12 million shares changed hands as the price bumped around, hitting a high of $US104.

Google's shares ended the day just higher than $US100...

With google I don't know if they have enough going for them in the long term, saying that the one thing they do have is that they are currently the dominant category killers for search engines. Amazon is the dominant killer for books, and I can see them becoming stronger and stronger (esp. with their innovations 'Gold Box' as well as giving books to consumer cheaper), so perhaps this is investors great hope for Google.

I guess people are paying for the advertising revenue, but also what else Google can do. It's kind of like a big box of stuff - no one knows whats in the box (it could be junk, or it could be gold), but some people will be willing to bet that the box contains some gold....

I wonder if it will copy yahoo (search engine, email, groups, etc)?

Rgds.
Lucifer_au

(Sorry Re-Edit as it didn't come up to well, since it was typed around 1:00Am.... I apologise for my bad forum form).

To recap on this thread, Google is travelling nicely - but at a HUGE multiple on income!

Those who were bullish on Google - did any of you buy shares?

Google Inc took over the top spot as the most highly valued media company this week, surpassing Time Warner Inc in just 10 months of trading as a public company.

Google's share price on the Nasdaq rose another $US2.18, or 0.75 per cent, to close at $US293.12 on Tuesday, an all-time high. Stock market analysts have suggested the stock could go as high as $US325 or $US350 a share.

With a current stock market capitalisation of more than $US80 billion, Google is now worth more than any other media company in the world. That includes Time Warner, created five years ago when AOL purchased Time Warner for $US106 billion in a much-hyped combination of old and new media.
Source: http://www.smh.com.au/news/Technology/Google-tops-the-charts/2005/06/08/1118123884936.html

I must admit, I've been very impressed at some of the uses of Google maps - such as overlaying train lines & house sales.

And their new translation software looks brilliant (but not in public domain as yet).

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Back