94.1 KB · Views: 138
  • master ensuite.jpg
    master ensuite.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 134
  • master ensuite 3.JPG
    master ensuite 3.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 125
STOP IT ALREADY!!!

Seriously. Good luck and I wait with (white) baited breath to see the progress.

Project 1080.

The project: 10 IPs in 80 mths.

on, and on, and on...

As you can see, there is already some removal of vanities and tiles in the bathrooms.

The tile removal was fun - 10 hours on the jack hammer, and still need to clean them up and replace some a/c sheeting.

In the downstairs entry there are still more to come off, as well some around the Coonara in the 2nd loungeroom upstairs, but we've decided to strip the top off those using an angle grinder and tile straight over the top. This won't affect the heights of them too much in comparison to the existing surrounding walls etc.

The hideous green/blue carpet will go soon...

Today we decided to take out some of the wall between the stairs and passage down to the garage internal door entry. This will open up that area a lot. Will need a new balustrade to match the upstairs front deck. Probably stainless steel handrail with glass inserts.

More cost, but will look unreal.

Attachments

• staircase to front entry.jpg
    staircase to front entry.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 119
  • rear deck.jpg
    rear deck.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 115
  • front yard.jpg
    front yard.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 111
Internal doors all installed and furniture installed. Total cost was $400 more than budget. We went for more expensive furniture; looks and feels great.

Began taking tiles off the walls of the showers last sunday, started to chisel them off the a/c sheet. Ended up buying a diamond tipped saw disc for the angle grinder and cutting out the whole wall section with the tiles still on. Much easier and quicker - cost $13 for the blade.

Will replace the areas with new a/c sheet.

Next; the bath hob tiles. Thinking I'll just pull the whole lot out and rebuild the wooden frame. new bath going in is $275.

After that, remove and install new shower bases - going for slightly bigger in all 3, with frameless screens.

Permit is all done for the deck - final quote came in at $21k including balustrade and gst.

a few more pics of other rooms I just downloaded.

Attachments

• back entry.jpg
    back entry.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 2nd garage.jpg
    2nd garage.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 115
a few more...nearly finished - I promise.

The next lot will be some "during" shots, ok?

Attachments

• kitchen 2.JPG
    kitchen 2.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 138
  • living room.JPG
    living room.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 152
some won't load correctly....

Attachments

• formal lounge.JPG
    formal lounge.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 146
  • formal lounge 3.JPG
    formal lounge 3.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 138
  • living dining.JPG
    living dining.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 143
garage - during

Here's a cupla pics of the back garage after some work.

The finished result will be rendered and with a remote roll-a-door to match the house and garage under the house.

Attachments

• DSCF9284.JPG
    DSCF9284.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCF9285.jpg
    DSCF9285.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 119
front deck during

Just thought I'd add a couple of pics of the front deck before it disappears and the new extension goes on.

I pulled up half the merbau boards today - god I loved it!

Have to give all the joists a coat of the final paint colour before the new boards go down as well.

Yesterday I roughed up the surface of the tiles in the front entrance - we are going to tile over the top of these. To remove them was going to be a very tough job, as they were laid on concrete, and under the skirting boards.

To rough the tiles up, I used an angle grinder with a diamond tipped disc - worked fantastic and the disc cost $14 at Bunnings. It was also very quick. I am also doing the same with the hearth around the coonara and tile over them as well.

Attachments

• front deck 1.jpg
    front deck 1.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 155
  • front deck.jpg
    front deck.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 136
The hidden costs...

aaah, yes...

the builder was digging out the holes for the new front deck uprights yesterday and I got a phone call...

Turns out both the sewerage and the house water supply pipes go right under where the main support pole will be located. :rolleyes:

Quick phone call to his plumber (who is also a golfing partner of us both) and he was out there to do the by-pass.

All done, but add on a few more gorillas no doubt. ;)

More progress photos later today, kids.

photos as promised

Attachments

• front.JPG
    front.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 136
  • front 1.JPG
    front 1.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 129
  • diverted drains.JPG
    diverted drains.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
nearly there!

Hey kids,
here's the latest pic of the deck.
The added size allows for a decent table and chairs etc, and opens up the view more to the east.
Finished except for the balustrade, which starts next week.
Of course; all the tradies are under pressure "to get everything done by Xmas".
So, we will have the finished product in about 2 more weeks.
It looks awesome, and will be oiled to retain the natural colours of the merbau.
it looks so good in fact, that we have decided to rip off the top of the back deck and re-do it as well.
The renderers are coming on Sat to render the garage you can see up the back to the left of the house, and then it can be painted to bring it in line with the house.
The garage door is the finished colour - "Dune" by Dulux, and the door on the garage under the house will be painted to match in with it.

Attachments

• progress deck.jpg
    progress deck.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 200
  • back deck before.JPG
    back deck before.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
wow Marc it all looks fabulous. I hope you get your price when you sell. Seeing as how you are so good at this wanna do my place?:D I want new paint , new bathrooms, new tiles.............;)

The renderers didn't show on Saturday - I think 70mm of rain in 24 hours on that day might have been an influence.

The stainless steel balustrade for the deck commences this friday. I'm so excited; like a kid waiting for xmas day!

I've been having to go up and do a couple of hours each morning for the last few weeks to try and create time to get things done- start at 5.00am, and work until 7.00, then home for a shower and a bite and off to the shop.

I also manage to sneak away from work and do the odd hour or two in the arvo before picking the boy up from school. I don't like to go and work after hours - want to spend time with the family.

The morning's a good time for me; the rest of the house is asleep and I'm an early riser, so may as well get into it.

Had to go to Bunnin's and get one of those 500 watt halogen flood lights so I could see what I was doing.

It's actually quite nice to get up there in the dark, just before dawn and hear the birds and potter around doing my thing. Very Zen.

Renderers finally turned up and finished the garage; looks great and photos to follow shortly. I'll do a bit of a before and after.

Deck is also all finished except for the glass panels yet to be cleaned.

As soon as it's done I'll post some photos; a before and after as well for interest.

There has been one coat of oil on the boards, and will need one more, but looks great. Can't wait to re-do the surface of the back deck now - more expense to the management.

The bad news is the stain from the merbau has seeped down onto the wood joists and support poles below, so all the prelim painting of this area (to save painting after construction) I did was a waste of time, and will need to be done again. :( Hopefully i can get away with one coat, but I'd doubt it.

Have been plodding along doing the sanding, hole filling, undercoating and first coat of gloss on some of the windows and frames, and a few of the interior doors.

I hate this part, because the result after all this appears to be not much better than the "before" version (from a distance). At the moment there are a few windows off and two back doors off, so anyone can wander in and trash the joint. Place smells like a tuprs factory....

I have also acquired a "pet" Huntsman spider over the last few weeks. He has the house to himself, but prefers to hang around in the lounge room, has plenty of food in the form of various insects attracted by the lights, and is absolutely enormous - about 6" across.

Stay tuned for photo of him. Affectionately called...Harry (the Huntsman). What else? Maybe Henry? Horatio? or Herman?

My Pet

As promised; the pet spider.

here he is eating a small plane. :D

Attachments

• Harry the Huntsman.jpg
    Harry the Huntsman.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 157
Sad news; Herman the spider has moved out. Still owes rent too.

Good news; the vanities have been completed and delivered to the house. look good.

Total bill for them was just under $6k, including two freestanding matching tallboy type cabinets. The basins and tapwear were extra; another $1100.

Now I just need to get hold of the plumber to help me install them.

Deck is all finished and balustrade installed; we opted to replace the inside handrail on the stairs with a matching stainless steel one as the deck for an extra $200. Looks very swish and modern against the feature wall.

Photos to come for the deck and handrail.

Total cost of the deck and balustrade was $28k. Balustrade alone was $12k.

Back