PPoR reno

update

Here are a few photos of the before, during and after of the deck and back garage.

Attachments

• 2nd garage before.jpg
    2nd garage before.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 152
  • garage reno.JPG
    garage reno.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 133
  • finished!.jpg
    finished!.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 178
and now the deck.

Attachments

• front deck.jpg
    front deck.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 118
  • front deck 1.jpg
    front deck 1.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 118
  • deck finished 1.jpg
    deck finished 1.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 145
one more of the deck.

The deck has had two coats of oil with merbau stain in it for extra colour.

Attachments

• deck finished 2.jpg
    deck finished 2.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 156
Looking fantastic, Marc! I'm sure we'll enjoy it when the ozperps stop by for that long-threatened visit. ;)

Sorry Trace; this one is destined for the market as soon as I can get it done.

However, the proceeds will be used for a newer and better one across the road.

THEN you can come and visit - end of this year I'd say. :D

Good thread for the newbie renovator. Don't think I'd be much good at anything like this myself - I am truly despicable on the tools!

Good thread for the newbie renovator. Don't think I'd be much good at anything like this myself - I am truly despicable on the tools!

The other thing about this for the newbie is to educate them about the time it takes.

It is not the 12 hour deal like the Reno Kings would have you believe.

Just to gloss one door frame is around 3 hours of work at least -
take off door, sand down entire frame, give first coat of gloss (assuming they are already painted), then go over it with "no more gaps" and polyfilla (shows up gaps better after first coat), light sand of entire frame again, then apply second coat.

Now, do all this at 4.30 am, with the halogen light on, attracting millions of bugs, which fly into the wet paint, and you need to come back and re-sand and touch up where the dead bugs were.

Then, do all of the above to the door - after taking off the door furniture first, then put it all back together and back on the door frame.

I've only got.....16 of these to do.

And don't start me about the windows. :D

Now, do all this at 4.30 am, with the halogen light on, attracting millions of bugs, which fly into the wet paint, and you need to come back and re-sand and touch up where the dead bugs were.

I know you would know this Bayview, but it is one hell of a job trying to paint with artificial light. The shadows make you go insane and your eyes start playing tricks on you....not to mention the bugs.

When you review the paint job the next day, you may be disappointed with yourself and have to do another coat.:)

I will only paint in natural light (albeit aided possibly by a small light or two)

I know it depends on timescales and programs but natural light is the only way to go.

Cheers,

F

on, and on, and on...

In the downstairs entry there are still more to come off, as well some around the Coonara in the 2nd loungeroom upstairs, but we've decided to strip the top off those using an angle grinder and tile straight over the top. This won't affect the heights of them too much in comparison to the existing surrounding walls etc.

Bayview,

Why did you rip up some tiles and tile over other areas. Was it due to the height of the extra tile creating problems.

What do you find is easier?

What is the water proof membrane underneath? Is it just an emulsion of some sort (or bitumen impregnated fibre board??)

Cheers,

F

Began taking tiles off the walls of the showers last sunday, started to chisel them off the a/c sheet. Ended up buying a diamond tipped saw disc for the angle grinder and cutting out the whole wall section with the tiles still on. Much easier and quicker - cost $13 for the blade.

Will replace the areas with new a/c sheet.

Hope you didn't use angle grinder on a/c sheeting. If so, hope you used a P3 filter mask.

Apart from the airborne health risk, did it make a huge mess??

BTW, I am reading your post now, so may have some more questions.

I appreciate your commentary on your reno, as I am learning a bit more by reading it.

Cheers,

F

Here are a few photos of the before, during and after of the deck and back garage.

Can't quite see the render finish.

What is it? How was it done? (i.e. 2 coats, rock cote, smooth finish / bag / sponge, sand?

Looks good.

I never would have thought of rendering a titan shed. Would it not look uniform if you matched the house paint and used a spray gun? I can appreciate that the render finish may look better, but with an airless gun and a trained painter, it would still look the business....wouldn't it?

Cheers,

F

Bayview,

Why did you rip up some tiles and tile over other areas. Was it due to the height of the extra tile creating problems.

What do you find is easier?

What is the water proof membrane underneath? Is it just an emulsion of some sort (or bitumen impregnated fibre board??)

Cheers,

F

I ripped up all but the downstairs entry tiles. The ripping up job I did took about 11 hours on one Sunday, hired a tile lifter to do it which weighs a ton, and I still had the downstairs entry left to do, but was over it.

Also, the downstairs entry tiles are on concrete (as were the 3rd bathroom tiles) and they are a pr.i.ck to get off, so I just roughed em up with the grinder. It won't matter; the heights actually will be quite good.

The a/c sheet under the rest has glue still attached, which has to be cleaned off with a scraper (or chisel in my case) - or replace the a/c sheet, which is a bit tough. The scraping isn't that tough if the chisel is very sharp.

Hope you didn't use angle grinder on a/c sheeting. If so, hope you used a P3 filter mask.

Apart from the airborne health risk, did it make a huge mess??

BTW, I am reading your post now, so may have some more questions.

I appreciate your commentary on your reno, as I am learning a bit more by reading it.

Cheers,

F

I used a diamond tipped cutting wheel attached to the grinder; much less mess and a sharper cut.

What mask?? That's for pussies. I'll probably die at 65.

Can't quite see the render finish.

What is it? How was it done? (i.e. 2 coats, rock cote, smooth finish / bag / sponge, sand?

Looks good.

I never would have thought of rendering a titan shed. Would it not look uniform if you matched the house paint and used a spray gun? I can appreciate that the render finish may look better, but with an airless gun and a trained painter, it would still look the business....wouldn't it?

Cheers,

F

No idea really; the guys turned up as I was leaving to go to work one morning, I came back about 6 hours later and it was all done. They had big tubs of the stuff all ready mixed, and they trowelled it on. The finish is quite rough. They also did some repair work to the existing render on the house in various spots.

I could have done the spray paint option, but we are trying to attract a very high price - near to the million mark hopefully, so only the best quality is for this project.

This whole reno has got to be of the best quality in all areas to get this sort of price.

Our aim is to spend around $60k, and increase the sell price by about $150k. This is quite doable based on similar properties I've seen sold in the area, but they are all schmick.

That's why we've gone for the you-beaut deck, garage etc. I could've just painted the existing deck and be done with it, and just painted the garage but they wouldn't have had as much WOW.

Things like quality landscaping (which will be done last), a new top on the back deck as well - these all add to it and can be done relatively inexpensive.

Last edited:
No idea really; the guys turned up as I was leaving to go to work one morning, I came back about 6 hours later and it was all done. They had big tubs of the stuff all ready mixed, and they trowelled it on. The finish is quite rough. They also did some repair work to the existing render on the house in various spots.

I could have done the spray paint option, but we are trying to attract a very high price - near to the million mark hopefully, so only the best quality is for this project.

This whole reno has got to be of the best quality in all areas to get this sort of price.

Our aim is to spend around $60k, and increase the sell price by about $150k. This is quite doable based on similar properties I've seen sold in the area, but they are all schmick.

That's why we've gone for the you-beaut deck, garage etc. I could've just painted the existing deck and be done with it, and just painted the garage but they wouldn't have had as much WOW.

Things like quality landscaping (which will be done last), a new top on the back deck as well - these all add to it and can be done relatively inexpensive.

Yep understood. Render looks good.

Reno looks great so far.

The deck will look great after the 2 coats.

It is surprising how much of a wow factor the landscaping can create. As you say, for relatively an inexpesive outlay, you can get it looking like an oasis.....especially with the lovely deck....maybe a little water feature.

Yeah, with regards to asbestos cement, generally if the sheets are wet down and you use a wet saw, it should all be ok. I have worked on demolishing power stations at Bulimba and Tennyson in Brisbane a few years ago, and bulk asbestos was lagging around all pipes and obviosly around the furnaces and chambers. I was up to my eyeballs in it. Garden hoses were set up on the ceiling and were constantly on to try an get the airborne particles to fall out of suspension. I wouldn't be too concearned about it on a little reno.

Cheers,

F

Last few days have been spent scraping the old glue off the a/c sheets on the floor - ready for the new tiles.

I was going to rip it all up and put down new sheets, but the work involved in cutting/digging it all up, then buy more sheets, then re-lay new ones was going to be probably more time (and money) than scraping. Many of the nails that were holding them down were covered in glue, and a small area that i attempted to pull ip just crumbled and was bloody tough work for little gain.

So, using a very sharp chisel, a sharpening stone and oil and the bench grinder (for sharpening), knee pads and several hours, it is all scraped off. Not a fun job at all.

A lot of the tiles had been laid, then the skirting boards installed on top of them, which I had removed prior to jack-hammering the tiles off, and these will now need to be re-installed.

I have already done one section near the back entrance - nail and glued them on with liquid nails, then no more gapped the edged and have finished painting them. Looks like they were never off.

The vanity units arrived last week as well, and I've picked up the basins and tapware for them.

Next thing is to get the electrician through to organise all the lighting changes we want to make throughout the place, shift a couple of power points and add a few more spot lights and down lights outside. We still need to select the lights and various spotlights to go in.

Decided to change all the bathroom XLTastics and the ceiling fans in the two lounge rooms as well, as well as the two toilet exhaust fans.

Then, the plumber can come in and install the vanities with me, move some pipes and add some more for the (to become) double shower in the downstairs ensuite.

Once he's been through I can replace the a/c sheets I've ripped off the shower areas to get the wall tiles off.

Then the plasterer will come in and patch up all the holes made.

In the meantime, I'll still be painting and so forth while they do this, then once they're all gone I can start the tiling.

Went through the house the other day with the electrician to work out which lights to change, where to add new ones and so on.

All the older style downlights with the larger recesses and screw-in bulbs are going, and any older style power points are being changed to the newer style with the removable faceplates. For some reason the previous owner has left half the house with old, half with new of both down lights and power points. Weird. Obviously a money saving ploy.

So, had to go out and buy the new lights, new IXLTastics, new exhaust and ceiling fans, new spotlights outside etc - Beacon lighting had a sale on, but the bill still came to just under $2k! We are also adding some lights to the sleeper wall that sits on the driveway edge to light the area, and also the back deck which is framed by a sleeper wall as well.

This won't make any difference to the sale of the house, but it's one of those nice little features you always see in quality properties, which help to boost up the price. Offer a basic house with no features and frills and you'll get a basic price I reckon.

The plumber starts on Monday to install the vanities, and part of the process is to build a new frame for the new bath in bathroom no.2.

The builder is doing that on Monday, and will need to measure up to allow for a 2 tile wide area between the bath and the wall. I hate that look how they install the bath with its edge underneath the wall tiles. It looks cheap, and has no wow. Those tiles are 10cm x 10cm as a feature around the whole bath area, while the wall tiles are 30cm x 45cm and the floor tiles are 45cm x 45cm. They should look quite good.

The builder is also starting on the new top for the back deck next week, and while he's there I'll be utilising his scaffolding to get up and paint the outside of the eastern side of the house, which has a wall height of 7.5 metres.

We are also adding a water tank - 3000 litre. Above ground "sausage" shape, along the side of the house away from the driveway and front door, and hidden behind a merbau panel of fence; so it's not visible from the road. It'll plumb directly beneath the downpipe at the front of the house, which makes it easy to install, collecting about half the total roof capacity which will be good.

Again, won't affect the sale; only the price.

Sometimes I have to stop and reassess my attitude to all this; my head keeps telling me to cut corners and get it done cheap and simple, but from what I've seen over the years, the really good properties that command higher prices have had good money spent on good quality renovations and top end fittings.

The fear is that you'll spend a lot of money, and get no return; or not more return on it.

Last edited:
Things are starting to get exciting now.

I've almost finished the painting of the two loungerooms, dining room and kitchen areas. These are the two biggest areas inside the house.

Then I can finish the hallway, and then the whole area which will be polished floorboards will be finished, and ready for the polisher. Still to arrange him though, but I'll get him to come near the end.

Picked up the remainder of the tiles as well today.

The plumber and builder came today to commence the work on installing the vanities and shower bases etc for the bathrooms and laundry, the electrician comes tomorrow to start on the lighting changes and the tiler starts on Wed.

I'm meeting the landscape gardener tomorrow night to organise the front yard.

The good news is that most of these "major" changes will be completed withing a fortnight.

Still lots to do, but the expected finish date now looks like a reality - around the middle of March.

Considering my expectation was to be on the market by Dec 1, 09; this is pretty pathetic, but that's how renos go.

And of course; the budget will be blowing out a bit. Closer to $70k than $60k.

Feels like an episode from Grand Design - hopelessly overtime, and always over budget.

Back