1 BDR Camberwell + Brunswick

Hi all,

Some of you may remember I posted some time ago about an OTP purchase in Blackburn. I pulled out in the cooling off period (I actually didnt see the advice on here until later but you suggested this anyway) for many reasons and am still comfortable I made the right choice. I learnt a LOT during the process.

With the FHB grant ending 30 June, I recently began looking in the market again. OTP is suitable as I am currently still living at home and my parents are retiring in 2 years to a house they have built on the beach. Given I'm working within a limited timeframe, it makes sense to consider committing to something now and getting the grant rather than waiting 2 years, during which time I would save the same amount anyway regardless of having committed to something now.

With that in mind, I have been looking for ~a month for a suitable 1 bedder that isnt a shoebox, represents a decent investment and will afford me an inner city lifestyle close to public transport links (I work in the city), 5-15km from city.

I currently have reservations (both refundable and on the CC so nothing lost) on two apartments:
860 Burwood rd Camberwell OTP development - Obviously fantastic location next to camberwell junction and station and well, Camberwell is Camberwell. The negative here is that there is a apartment block of about ~14 next door that is maybe 10 years old blocking views to the city on all floors except the top. The wall of the building will run flush to the wall of my building and the apartment I am considering has an internal balcony at a void cut back from this wall, so isnt going to get fantastic light nor any interesting views/vistas. The fitout is high-spec.
$395K - 1 bdr, 1 bath, 1 car spot, 51 sqm internal + 9 external. 3rd floor.

800 Sydney rd Brunswick - This is the better apartment - 4th floor, south facing (with many floor to ceiling windows) with great views to the city (for the time being). Slightly better layout and a much bigger outdoor space.
Negatives being - this is more in Coburg than Brunswick at that end of Sydney Rd and the neighbourhood is no Camberwell for sure. Fit-out is very high spec on par if not better than camberwell.
$395K - 1bdr, 1bath, 1 study (basically just a nook so not a REAL study), 54 sqm internal, 20 external + car space

To be clear, I am not looking at this as an IP or for any sort of high capital growth. Some would be an added bonus, but I am forced to move out due to family situation and given I work ~80 hour weeks am really looking for the apartment/inner city lifestyle. My aim is to get a foot in the door, build equity and then either sell/rent after a 6-7 year period when my work takes me overseas (depending on the market).

My dilemma is Decent apartment in a Fantastic location (although Camberwell isnt known for 1 bedroom apartments - niche resale?), vs. a fantastic apartment in an ok location (I'm aware Brunswick is growth but consider the glut of apartments in the area).

I'm interested in all your opinions on what I'm doing here. Also interested in how you think valuations would come in on both given they are the pricey end of 1 bedders. I would live in either but much prefer the Camberwell lifestyle and grew up in the eastern suburbs, so my heart leans there. My head leans toward Brunswick as the apartment itself tells me this may be a better investment. Both afford me the <5 min walk to the train station I require.

Both will be complete and settling early-mid 2014 which suits my timeframe.

Both have only JUST come onto the market and because I have been looking for so long I have got in before public releases and have thus secured the best apartments/value for money at my price point in both developments.

In my mind I'm in an enviable position as I think both represent solid options.

Apologies for the long post.

Cheers,

Andrew

. I would live in either but much prefer the Camberwell lifestyle and grew up in the eastern suburbs, so my heart leans there.

I'd go the Camberwell option as a ppor - simply from what you said. Trains are more numerous from there too - as you have 3+ lines going through (Lilydale, Belgrave, Alamein and technically Blackburn)

Brunswick/Coburg is a much better choice if you need Halal food etc.

The Y-man

Okay, this might make things a little clearer. Just got off the phone with the camberwell developer and surprise surprise, there was an error on the price list provided to me. The price was shown at 395 including carpark, when it should have been 395 without carpark and 445 with. The apartment is still in my name for now but I simply shouldn't be going as high as 445.

Are they completely in their rights to do this? I can't think of why they wouldn't be, I only put a reservation down, and didn't sign a contract. If only I did!

I wouldnt buy it without a carpark Aaron as I'm well aware of the pitfalls there.

I'm devastated that the estate agents have made this mistake. I had decided on Camberwell earlier on in the day before the call.

Do not give up yet. Nothing stops you to make an offer, $395k including car park and let's see what they say. ;) Worse case they say No. You can even honestly say that you do not have afford to offer more and you will be walking away.

In my opinion, Camberwell is definitely the better option.

The multiple train lines make transport readily available, and it takes me less than 10 minutes to get from Parliament to Camberwell station.

It is however expensive, especially if you want to get close to the burke road junction.

I myself at one stage was firm on multiple OTP 1BR apartments in Camberwell, and saw premium pricing up to $495K w/ carpark and very expensive body corporate fees (another factor you should look out for with OTP).

In the end I settled for a 2BR in the quieter neighbourhood of Armadale - similarly 5mins walk from train station and 2 train lines readily available for $440K

My suggestion is, if you cannot find what you want, simply expand your options to nearby suburbs such as Armadale, Richmond etc

You must be feeling really disappointed Andish but try not to get too fixated on that Camberwell apartment. If you had known the true price from the beginning, you wouldnt have shortlisted it.

You need to be self disciplined about your budget and your 'must have' features (min. size, carpark etc) and then circle out from Camberwell until you find something suitable that you can afford.

If you truly cannot find anything you want to live in, then seriously consider renting where you want to live and buying an IP elsewhere.

Totally agree with African Daisy

Why buy the place if your not sure there will be much capital growth??

Your young/ sounds like your single - just rent where you want to live and buy where there will be growth. (hint - it doesnt have to be in Melbourne)

Its not rocket surgery!

Personally, I think the size of those apartments is on the small side. Coupled with no car park, I wouldn't be inclined to purchase either. Aim for 60sqm for a 1 bedder if you can. It makes such a big difference, especially if you're living in it

Are they completely in their rights to do this? I can't think of why they wouldn't be, I only put a reservation down, and didn't sign a contract. If only I did!

Yeah OTP can be a bit like that - even if you signed the contract there's probably a variations clause where they can vary the car park out or give you a spot where a car can't get into.... The joys of not knowing what you're going to get - bit like a Christmas present!

Also - don't get sucked in by so called hi-spec fitout - sometimes they can be a pain (we had great italian made gas cooking stove - turned out to be for Euro gas pressures...)

There are other things to be more concerned about - noise from outside as well as inside (very hard to tell from mock ups and projections), wind (your balcony can be useless if it is in a wind tunnel efect), Body Corp rules etc etc

The Y-man

Hi Andish2001,

In my neck of the woods in Melbourne, 5km from Coburg,
Just wanted to let you know that a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom house on a block of land 671sqm sold for $320,000.

It's 15km from the city with zone 1 train station.
I talked to the owners and they originally wanted 395K but wanted to sell quick so had to settle for 320K.

Now the new buyers are getting approvals from Council to build quick smart 2 double storey townhouses and 1 storey unit on the block of land.

Just curious as to why you want to buy a 1 bedder with no land (body corporate) verses a house on land with development potential? (no body corporate)

I think there's lots of bargains to be had for houses with land particularly in this kind of climate if you have 395K to spend. Not giving advice, just sharing my opinion and an example I've seen with my own eyes. My 2 cents worth.

@ Beanie Girl, the attraction was given my lifestyle (~80 hour weeks and frequent extended travel + busy weekends), I don't really know where I would find the time to redevelop something with potential, especially given the situation with my parents retiring to the coast means I don't have an unlimited timeframe to push something like that through.

Nonetheless, I'm still considering your suggestion (have been for a while) as I'm not dead-set on going OTP, it just represents a convenient and suitable choice at the current stage of my life.

To update you all on the situation, I offered $410k on the camberwell (selling for $445k) but its a massive long shot.

That leaves Brunswick and Northcote.
The Brunswick apartment is still in my name for now and has since been independently valued at $415k. The developer will still honour the agreed price of $399k with me if I choose to go ahead. This is for a ~54 sqm internal + 20 sqm external city view apartment (south facing), 4th floor 1bdr + study with a very high standard of finishes (marble bathrooms, 40mm stone benchtop, 2.7m ceilings, good appliances and lots of cupboard space and generous rooms) built by a developer with a very good reputation.

My big question mark is that this is on Sydney Rd closer to Coburg really (not central Brunswick) and I'm not sure it would provide the walkability/lifestyle I'm after. But given the bargain represents I can't quite seem to let it go.
As my first property, should I be buying where I want to live or what is going to give me the greatest return and will enable me to choose where I want to live later in life?

Northcote is smaller - 47 internal and 9 external going for the same price (~400K) on the 3rd floor facing north over preston. Finish is still to a high standard but not as high as Brunswick, feat. floor to ceiling windows all around the living area and in the bedroom, 20mm stone benchtop and a smaller kitchen generally, good appliances with little cupboard space. The rooms are still of a decent size as it is a smarter use of space than most OTP apartments IMO.

This is in central High St (versus very outer Brunswick) and I love the quaint cafes and restaurants and walkability it would provide. Additionally I like Northcote more as a location as it is closer to the homely eastern suburbs so generally feels more up-my-alley.

Thoughts?

I have leaned both ways several times as both as fantastic advantages and some disappointing disadvantages as well.

The other option is forgoing the grant and waiting and buying established in 2 years time. This isnt preferred as IMO the market is at 5 o clock at the moment.

Thanks all for the advice so far, I really appreciate it.

Cheers

Either Northcote or Brunswick are great.
Brunswick is getting great rents and will always be easy to lease- even more on the Coburg side.
Northcote is very popular however you compete with a lot of cheaper well located properties and all my friends that have IP's here have higher vacancy rates for that reason- the competition.
Brunswick will always have a much better return as an investment than Camberwell as the proximately and access to the CBD is almost the same as Richmond but only half the price.

I recently leased my property in Coburg North.
I have a great agent however, we leased a two bed semi renovated weatherboard property for $390 per week in 4 days. We are moving out in July with not one day of vacancy to when our tenants move in!

The inner North is thriving. Good affordable prices, great rental returns and quality products to buy.

Andish,

For me, I find apartments, particularly 1 bedders, too small for my liking and not as good for future capital growth as houses with land. Coburg apartment - 54 sq, and Northcote - 47sq is too small for me.

I also prefer to have my clothes sun-dried, heaps cheaper than using a electric dryer all the time if I had to live in an apartment. Also environmentally friendlier.

I don't know the location of your Northcote apartment so I can't give you any feedback on it but I don't like Sydney Road, Coburg or Brunswick. Too many cars and traffic jams (smog and pollution) even though Sydney Road is on a tram line. I prefer to live further away from Sydney Road and walk to the tram stop.

Besides house with land, have you also considered some of the older established units/apartments in Brunswick or Northcote? For your kind of money, you could even get 2 bedroom possibly. It will also be easier to get an accurate realistic valuation of the property based on past sales of existing property. It's much harder to get an accurate valuation of OTP. Some people come up on top $$$wise after OTP completes, some people come below. AN experienced unit valuer told me that in his investment forays into OTP units/apartments, in spite of his experience, he's come up about even across all his purchases, he neither made or lost $$$$$.

Since you're living in your OTP for the lifestyle factors and you're getting the FHG, there's really no huge depreciation benefits you're going to get out of OTP which is one of the big reasons people go off-the-plan in the first place.
So why not consider older but bigger existing apartments?

My two cents worth and just to tickle your fancy, have you considered something like this - house with lots of land for the same money? Land in my opinion, over the long run, only goes up (unless there's a covenant/caveat on sub-division on it, check first)

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-glenroy-110117793

Camberwell called and offered 405K for the similiar aparment one floor down - so on the ground floor for 49 sqm internal + 9 external.

The living space however is smaller (but with a much longer kitchen) and there are only two windows in the place and its a courtyard looking at other peoples balconys and no views, as opposed to northcote where the living area is glass walls on every side with uninterrupted northern aspect views.

How important is aspect and view vs. Location?

I've cooled on Brunswick despite that it would be a great investment because I just cant see myself living there.

49 sqm is i reckon too small. you're better off finding a different place to stay either in an older apartment closer to the CBD.

brunswick - i wouldn't want to live there too.

Aspect and view can have a major effect on price. However, in many cases it adds to the saleability of the property rather than the price.

There is a completed development on Broadway in Elwood that may suit you... I know some purchasers there that intended to flip but are now having trouble due to the market coming back.

I'd recommend having a look at it - there's only two apartments I'd consider buying in the block - but give me a call and I'm happy to talk more.

0410 527 631 - Jake

Note: I have no affiliation in anyway to that building or developer. It's simply a property that I'm aware of through work that we considered but it doesn't suit our model (as we don't buy new)

Back