$144 power usage in empty house???

I'm curious to know if anybody else has had this problem...

We had tenants move out of a house we had on the market. It didn't sell so we found new tenants. Whilst it was empty, I had the power (Origin) put into my name so we had lights for any evening open houses.

I had a bill for five weeks which came to something like $163 (usage $154 and $9 supply cost). I paid it because I had too many other things to deal with but then received another account saying it needed paying.

I checked and realised I had paid it but there was another $84 outstanding. She transferred me to someone else who told me it had NOT been paid and the outstanding amount was power for our own house.

The bill for our own house was overdue (by one day) and I asked that the due date be pushed out a week so I would not been seen to be in default. I said I didn't get my account for my own house. She told me it had been sent to another IP that we were currently renovating. I had also connected the power for that house into my own name while we renovated it.

So my own power account was overdue, she had changed the address for my home power bills to the IP address. The initial $163 account also went to the address of the IP we were currently renovating. How can they get this SO WRONG?

It seems all my power bills are now going to an empty IP. Which would mean an overdue account is also being sent to the wrong address.

No apology either.

I wanted to bang my head against the wall, but instead asked how an empty house could possibly use $144 worth of power in five weeks with nothing plugged in. She asked me if there was anything in the house using power. I explained (AGAIN!!) that it was an empty house, that for an hour each week there would have been lights on, but $144 seemed rather rich for a few lights.

She undertook to have the "originator" read the meter (it was an "actual" read) but if they said it was right, it was right. I asked if they say the meter was right, then CLEARLY!!! there is something wrong with the meter and could they please follow it up. Apparently that account is now closed and nothing can be done.

Like HELL!!!

Thought I'd just share... :D

How many times does this happen when people don't realise (and I didn't pick it up initially) how much they are being gouged?

Gas... so that cannot be it.

I wondered if the neighbours could have plugged something into an outdoor socket, but the house next door is empty too.

Lol doesn't surprise me Origin sending the bill to the wrong address.
Don't know what state your IP is but does it have a Smart meter?

Brisbane house, not sure about the meters but there are three different meters that have been read in the meter box.

Fixed supply $9, "actual" usage from an "actual" meter reading $144 :eek:

Telephone operator said to me "some of that is fixed supply charge. I told her I was very happy to just pay $9. She was not listening, not hearing, not caring. That is the worst part of it. Too bad, so sad was her attitude.

None of this surprises me at all, Wylie - Origin has made some horrendous mistakes on our account since we've had the West End apartment. :eek:

cheers

As far as I know Energex is responsible for reading meters and just passes on the figures to the relevant power company.
Marg

I'm guessing Energex is the "originator" who will be checking the paperwork of whoever read the meter. Apparently if the figures are correct, then it is "too bad, so sad". But I'm not giving up the fight :).

How could they possibly tell me honestly that a few lightbulbs for four hours (four open houses in that five week period - half an hour each time) could possibly rack up $144 worth of power...

TT or CA had a show about electric bills being 10x for a 95 yr old woman.($2100+)

I forget the name of the electric company, or the area it was speaking about.

They were talking about it last night again on 9 NEWs.
It is Origin.
Many people are having troubles.

Last edited:
Is it possible that when the property was rented previously they hadn't inspected the meter and had just been charged an average? Now they have done an actual meter reading, they've charged you the extra above the average they allowed for?

I know that how these things used to work, they only do an actual meter reading once every couple of billing periods? That way you may just be paying for the extra that the tenant had been using (obviously if the tenant had stayed the bill would have worked out fairly in the end).

Just a thought - I might be totally off here!

I would have thought that when the tenants left the meter would have been read as a "final reading"... but who knows. I definitely am not lying down on this one though. I'm going to be a squeaky wheel.

I took a photo of the inside of the meter box earlier today. If I post it, will that help with knowing if it is a "smart meter"?

If you read it yourself in a 24hr period it would check how much is being used.
You may find the last reading before the current one was an estimated. Its always a good idea to ring up and make sure a final reading has been done when tenant moves out.

Your not alone, I'm still trying to get them Synergy to issue the bill to right side of duplex rather than A's usage going to B's etc. Given the meter is on each side of the duplex you would not think it takes 3 months to sort out.

Thanks for the suggestion, but tenants now in there, so reading it not viable.

I'm just flabbergasted about how they could mess up ALL the power bills I've had put into my name, also changing the address on our PPOR bill and more particularly how it could have meant a black mark on our credit rating, because even the final notice would have gone to the IP.

I'm just mad :mad:.

my smart meter is like a big white box with a blue button and lcd display
worse idea ever imo. you would know if it was a smart meter

Back