16,623 apartments and townhouses abandoned or halted as crisis hits sales

http://www.news.com.au/business/money/story/0,28323,25149947-5013951,00.html

This is probably not surprising. There's an article in this months API on "How to avoid Developing a Headache" - page 16 which is probably relevant to this article.

POCKETS of suburban Australia are being littered with empty, unsaleable concrete shells, as pricey apartment projects fail to find buyers.

The economic downturn has seen 16,623 apartments and townhouses abandoned or deferred in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne between January 2008 and 2009.

Figures from BIS Shrapnel show the number of apartments and townhouses abandoned or deferred in Sydney between January to July last year was 4072, but between August and January 2009 it rocketed to 5326, taking the total to almost 9400.

In Melbourne, numbers of deferred apartments almost doubled over six months and in Brisbane, the number rocketed from 691 in the first half of the year to 4686 in the second.

Figures from the Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union show the monthly rate of construction companies with winding-up applications against them has increased from 15 in June to 129 three weeks before Christmas, almost half of which involved businesses in New South Wales.

A major South Australian company involved in the state's largest waterfront development, the $2billion Newport Quays project in Port Adelaide, was placed in receivership yesterday, with debts of more than $8 million.

Alpine Construction owner Robert Papilion yesterday met with banks in a last-ditch effort to stave off receivership, before accountant and business advisory company PPB was called in to take control.

Alpine Construction reportedly stopped work two weeks ago on stage two of the $2bn development, which is being developed by companies Urban Construct and Brookfield Multiplex.

Urban Construct chief executive Todd Brown said the development was "for all intents and purposes" finished.

Toop & Toop sales agent Troy Tindall told The Weekend Australian the developers had recently offered buyers the choice of a new BMW or a boat if they purchased a waterfront apartment.

He said one of his clients would today offer at auction a $70,000 Mercedes Benz C200K car as incentive to buy his apartment.

In Sydney's North Shore, along the Pacific Highway between Chatswood and Hornsby, there are estimated to be between 200 and 500 apartments unsold, including many that are unfinished.

Developers overpaid for the sites in the boom and apartments are more costly to build than houses at $1400 a square metre versus $900/sqm for a house so they are unable to lower the prices in order to pay back their debts.

Industry insiders say part of the problem is that many thought the apartment boom that began up to 10 years ago was here to stay.
In Australia's most expensive street, Wolseley Road in Sydney's Point Piper, high-flying developer Michael Bezzina's $80 million eight-apartment project is in the hands of the receivers.

The apartments originally had an asking price of $14m each, but three now have pre-sale contracts to purchase them for $10m.

On the Gold Coast, dozens of $4m-plus apartments have been on the market for more than a year.

The Coast is suffering badly from over-developed complexes, including Michael Bezzina's Jade apartment tower, which is also in the hands of the banks.

There are four apartments still to sell.

Others sold during the boom for more than $12m.

Larry Malan, director of Gold Coast real estate firm Location, Location, Location, said the price of second-hand apartments over $1m had dropped 20 per cent.

Apartments in complexes in Sydney's Homebush West have remained unsold for over a year.

They are advertised for under $300,000 each.

Lets suppose that you buy an apartment 'off the plan' and put down the 10% deposit. What happens if the developer goes bust before the apartments get built? Do you get your 10% deposit back? I'm assuming that you would because the 10% deposit is placed into the vendor's solicitors/agent's trust account.

Could someone please clarify this for me.

Cheers

Sounds like a reason for not buying in unit complexes and could also be said about not buying in new estates where the housing is essentially (basically the same x 100's) on small plots of land.

Well established average Joe houses on sizable land for me thanks.

Dave

Lets suppose that you buy an apartment 'off the plan' and put down the 10% deposit. What happens if the developer goes bust before the apartments get built? Do you get your 10% deposit back? I'm assuming that you would because the 10% deposit is placed into the vendor's solicitors/agent's trust account.

Cheers

I'm sure the developer doesn't get to touch the funds in the trust account and you would get a refund as the developer failed to complete.

In Sydney's North Shore, along the Pacific Highway between Chatswood and Hornsby, there are estimated to be between 200 and 500 apartments unsold, including many that are unfinished.

Developers overpaid for the sites in the boom and apartments are more costly to build than houses at $1400 a square metre versus $900/sqm for a house so they are unable to lower the prices in order to pay back their debts.

Industry insiders say part of the problem is that many thought the apartment boom that began up to 10 years ago was here to stay.
END QUOTE

Helloooo
Michael from Monavale are you there???

Any comments on this article?

Helloooo
Michael from Monavale are you there???

Any comments on this article?
So 71% auction clearance rate in Sydney this Saturday (11% above official boom level) is just Australian Property Monitors Hallucinating? Or agents hallucinating reporting 20% increaser in sales in Saturday's Daily Telegraph? Or buyers hallucinating seeing properties under $550K sold within a week? Or it is just some Gen Y jornos hallucinating about falling house prices amid biggest property boom in Australian history? Posted by: Michael of Sydney 11:45am today
Comment 7 of 15

Could it be true?

Yeah i'm seeing this happen in Melbourne.

A builder my partner works for has sold one of 3 double story townhouse. Apparently a second one has had an offer put on and he is intending to rent the third town house out of that project. I must say usually the townhouses would of been snapped up pretty quick but he even freaked out at how slow it's going. He wants primo $$$ and is not willing to back down either. Oh and they are not FHB dwellings either.

He has another townhouse project 10 houses away in the same street. My partner says that within 2 weeks lock up will be complete and the project is stopping there. His plan is to pick up the project when things pick up. He hasn't bought any more sites and I believe will probably spend a couple of months traveling, thinking, planning and deciding where to from here.

Lucky for him he is good at what he does, loaded and finances his own projects. He has no holding costs, but at the same time I really don't think he can sell and settle for less than what he has been making the last few years as he is so old school and stubborn. Edit: Not only is he old school and stubborn but he has done very well for himself that he doesn't have to settle.

Shall be interesting times. I truly believe that those developers who are ahead will snap up primo project sites, as blue chip areas continue to fall and people lose their jobs. And for those developers who are not or are armatures will make sure the lease for their wives beemer or benz canceled or traded in for a corolla, and worst case scenario is some may have to find a job and actually work rather than lunching with the girls. Very interesting time indeed, and to be honest, I'm excited. I work for Vic Gov so my employment is secure and my partner is still in demand, worst case scenario he drops his standards and works for project builders. I believe my partner and I can snap up some fantastic bargains for future developments and really spend our time planning, designing and developing quality projects rather than jumping right into as we planned just before the economy shat itself.

Probably be some good deals coming up soon ....

I think Michaeal time line is a little further out , and probably flexible .

Also last time I looked Narrabeen wasn't between Chatswood and Hornsby. In that area there was rezoning of much of the strip along the Highway and railway , so there are many units being built there over the last 2-3 years with many more still going up at the moment .

We've looked at some of these as potential empty nesters and may well buy one over the next year of so. We seriously considered one , but ended up buying in Mosman.

There was one block in particular where the Builder who was organising the selling and was keen to unload his last few units.....

Cliff

You would want to. on that particular property....I asked around and the rents are dropping in Mosman. The agent said you could get $750 on the 2 brms last year ...now it is more like 620-680pw.

The low end rentals in Mosman are doing okay....stuff under $500pw.

Will keep watchng that one....was up in Terrigal on the weekend...good buys there....but returns are shocking!

Will have to keep looking and low balling offers....agents do throw a hissy fit though!
That's Mosman .

nup , Was on the lower North shore . If they're still there in 6 month might make a really low offer ...

Cliff

So from a CG perspective, this means there's a lot more supply to come on before the supply/demand equation makes it favourable for good CG.

You would want to. on that particular property....I asked around and the rents are dropping in Mosman. The agent said you could get $750 on the 2 brms last year ...now it is more like 620-680pw.

The low end rentals in Mosman are doing okay....stuff under $500pw.

We're be renting towards the lower end of the market , a couple of steps up . I prefer not to rent at the very bottom of any market. One thing we've learnt along the way.

Carpet gets laid next week and valuers come after that along with the PM we've already chosen.

Cliff

The excess of unsold units on the upper North Shore is no shock. I always thought they would struggle to sell in the numbers they are building.

Most people buy out in those suburbs because they want a big block with a nice house in a quiet, leafy street. They pay decent money for the privilege too. How does that translate into what is still big money for a small 1 bedroom unit on the pacific highway? That works in Chatswood down to Mosman because it is close to the city and other work centres. Suburbs like Pymble or Turrmaurra are still a decent hike to anything and the Pacific Highway is a busy road. Trains are ok up there but not fantastic. Still up to 45 minutes to the city.

So decent house money for apartments on a large scale seems stupid to me and up to 500 vacant apartments with many more on the way seems to suggest that someone is not thinking things through! A while ago I looked at an apartment in Wahroonga for investment purposes that wasn't yet finished and the asking price was $800k for a 2 bedroom apartment. Nothing special about it. That buys you a nice house in the area in a better position. No idea what the developer actually sold it for but I wouldn't pay that. In fact the lady selling it told me she thought it was overpriced! :eek:

This is what happens when the Government (fuelled by developer money) try to dictate what should happen in an area. I think it will have a negative impact on housing and values in the upper North shore area.

Cheers

Yes. But you would never give 10%. A Deposit Bond would see you only fork out a couple of thousand.

Sash,

There are some damn good buys at Terrigal/Wamberal. Coastal returns have notoriously been bad. How does this compare to the Palm Beach's of Sydney?

Rental Market: Lower ends are going up higher ends coming down. I would say it is consistent everywhere.

Regards Jo

Sounds like a reason for not buying in unit complexes and could also be said about not buying in new estates where the housing is essentially (basically the same x 100's) on small plots of land.

Well established average Joe houses on sizable land for me thanks.

Dave

I've been bangin' that drum forever, BB.

To me; OTP apartments are a "speculative" investment.

Nothing wrong with that, but the investor needs to see it for what it really is.

It can go south, and don't cry if it does - as many do.

It's really more gambling than investing; going for the higher return, but with the higher risk.

Whereas, the average home as you describe is your "plod along and get rich eventually" type investment; lower return (only a perception I might add) but certainly lower risk.

No crying required with these. ;)

The excess of unsold units on the upper North Shore is no shock. I always thought they would struggle to sell in the numbers they are building.

Most people buy out in those suburbs because they want a big block with a nice house in a quiet, leafy street. They pay decent money for the privilege too. How does that translate into what is still big money for a small 1 bedroom unit on the pacific highway? That works in Chatswood down to Mosman because it is close to the city and other work centres. Suburbs like Pymble or Turrmaurra are still a decent hike to anything and the Pacific Highway is a busy road. Trains are ok up there but not fantastic. Still up to 45 minutes to the city.

So decent house money for apartments on a large scale seems stupid to me and up to 500 vacant apartments with many more on the way seems to suggest that someone is not thinking things through! A while ago I looked at an apartment in Wahroonga for investment purposes that wasn't yet finished and the asking price was $800k for a 2 bedroom apartment. Nothing special about it. That buys you a nice house in the area in a better position. No idea what the developer actually sold it for but I wouldn't pay that. In fact the lady selling it told me she thought it was overpriced! :eek:

This is what happens when the Government (fuelled by developer money) try to dictate what should happen in an area. I think it will have a negative impact on housing and values in the upper North shore area.

Actually there is a large demand for well located places , nice units in the area for people who's families have grown up and moved out . They want to live in the same area . All their friends are local , their kids are buying in the area so it's close to the grand kids , they don't want to move to the coast , but they might buy a weekender .

The North shore is full of people wanting to buy the Empty nest .

800 for a two bedroom in wahroonga sounds over priced but they have been selling . Is that the block in Ada ?

Turramurra , it's close to the centre of the universe . Australias best music store .... Turramurra music :).

Cliff

Actually there is a large demand for well located places , nice units in the area for people who's families have grown up and moved out . They want to live in the same area . All their friends are local , their kids are buying in the area so it's close to the grand kids , they don't want to move to the coast , but they might buy a weekender .

The North shore is full of people wanting to buy the Empty nest .

800 for a two bedroom in wahroonga sounds over priced but they have been selling . Is that the block in Ada ?

Turramurra , it's close to the centre of the universe . Australias best music store .... Turramurra music :).

Cliff

Without doubt there is a market for these places and it is the demographic you mention, probably also some younger professionals who want something a bit quieter and less crowded than the lower North Shore. However my point is they have built way to many and some have been built with little regard for their surrounds and look out of place.

The only reason they have been allowed to ignore proper planning guidelines and Kuring-gai council to build the huge number of apartment blocks is because the state Government decided that the area was not dense enough and the developers who like to contribute to the same Government saw dollar signs with little regard to what should actually be built and where.

This block was being built on the East side near the station and the Park, don't recall the exact street name. Coonabarra maybe?

Here I was thinking Spenser was the centre of the universe ;)

The only reason they have been allowed to ignore proper planning guidelines and Kuring-gai council to build the huge number of apartment blocks is because the state Government decided that the area was not dense enough and the developers who like to contribute to the same Government saw dollar signs with little regard to what should actually be built and where.

This block was being built on the East side near the station and the Park, don't recall the exact street name. Coonabarra maybe?

Here I was thinking Spenser was the centre of the universe ;)

Exactly . State Government Came in with jack boots, but to be fair the council had plenty of time to come up with proposals that are better than what's happening.

Personally I think they would have been better to set certain areas aside for more intense development so they could spare some of the piece meal stuff that's going on.

There are certain areas eg , Turramurra between the railway and the H'way - North of the bridge where they could put in 20 Plus storey blocks that wouldn't really impact anyone .

However the temporary oversupply will mean that prices in the area will come down to more realistic levels .

When Mirvac launched their east side development in Lindfield , they had a major rush from people to sign contracts . From what I've heard , when settlement time came in , Bank valuations came in much lower than prices so many people walked away . ( This occured prior to the recent slump in prices )

We've felt most of the blocks we've looked at were over priced in the last 2-3 years , however in the last few months , some seem to be coming in more realistically .

In particular the units in Ada Ave, Wahroonga seemed expensive for what you got.

Coonabarra , is a nice area . Between Coonabarra and the Freeway . Is that the block you're talking about ? For 800 K I'd want something pretty special , though it is an area I'd think about .

Cliff

Back