$2 a day food budget

Hi,

All you Newcastle folk take a drive to the Egg place at Anna Bay, they have JUMBO eggs at $4.50 for 15 and most are free range, some are barn, none are caged. I get them and I find about 80% are free range by there colour and taste.

Most are that big that I can't put them next to each other in the egg rack in my fridge and as they don't fit in any size egg carton they are a problem for the retailers. ( they crush as they are too big)

For others, take a drive in the country and look around for chooks, a lot sell eggs and there are quite a few around if you go looking.

It actually isn't a serious amount of food Elf. Let's look at it:
- 2 medium size pieces of fruit or 2C fruit salad 140 Calories
- 2 cups of salad for lunch 50 Cals
- 0.5 cup of legumes for lunch 100 Cals
- 0.5-1 cup of potato/pumpkin for dinner 75 Cals
- 1.5-2 cups of cooked vegetables for dinner 50 Cals

That's 415 Calories.
That's just the fruit and veggies and I'd starve on that few calories a day, I have a fairly high fat/protein and high calorie diet at the best of times or I lose weight, I err towards energy dense foods because of it - I'm thinking the *entire* diet they try and wave at you on those food pyramid posters which has 6 serves of grainy stuff and serves of meat and dairy too. By their definitions I'm lucky to eat 1/3-1/2 of what they recommend.

This sort of rubbish:

http://www.youthcentral.vic.gov.au/digitalAssets/39520_FoodPyramidBody.jpg

And its the volume of food not the calories. Up to 3 cups of veggies at dinner? That's huge! That wouldn't fit on a plate. We'd have that much between *all* of us.

How the heck do you get a high calorie diet and not fade away if you are eating crazy amounts of low fat food anyway? Low fat food makes me hungry ... if I don't eat enough sugar I get shakes and blackouts, extend that to not enough fat and the weight just falls off me and I end up getting sick. Gaining weight a few years ago was the best thing that ever happened to my health.

That would be cage eggs, surely. Think of the poor chickens and buy free range eggs :).

P.S. They taste better too!!

Yep. We get our eggs from next door's chickens at $3 per dozen and there is a noticeable difference / improvement in taste (and probably nutrition). Especially when eating same day they're laid.

I wouldn't eat much more food than on this diet. But I certainly don't live your lifestyle :)

I reckon I get by on one meal a day plus snacks.

Dhal is the best meal. Tricky thing is buying the right lentils and then soaking them long enough. But when you get it nailed and add the right spices it is an amazing dish that gets better each time it is reheated!

How about a recipe then Simon ;)

That's just the fruit and veggies and I'd starve on that few calories a day, I have a fairly high fat/protein and high calorie diet at the best of times or I lose weight, I err towards energy dense foods because of it - I'm thinking the *entire* diet they try and wave at you on those food pyramid posters which has 6 serves of grainy stuff and serves of meat and dairy too. By their definitions I'm lucky to eat 1/3-1/2 of what they recommend.

Elfie, from what you are saying, it is hard for me to understand clearly your views on diet and nutrition. I think it would be quite time consuming for me to try further, and suggest instead, you discuss your nutritional needs with your doctor and a dietitian.

For others, take a drive in the country and look around for chooks, a lot sell eggs and there are quite a few around if you go looking.

I tried that, but when approached, the chook just sort of looked at me funny and ran away. Probably didn't understand what I was saying...

Boods

Elfie, from what you are saying, it is hard for me to understand clearly your views on diet and nutrition. I think it would be quite time consuming for me to try further, and suggest instead, you discuss your nutritional needs with your doctor and a dietitian.
Discussing the food pyramid posters they put at schools with a doctor is a waste of time! I've worked out what works great for me (blood tests and stuff when I'm not pregnant put me right in the normal range of everything and now I'm heavier I'm very healthy, just could be fitter) and keeps the weight on, it just doesn't match very well with the food pyramid. Its pretty close to the CSIRO diet though, by coincidence not design, we got a sodding great booklet on that diet through the school a while back.

My only problem on the Government force-down-your-throad diet crap is PORTION SIZE - eg 6 serves of grain/bread is 12 slices of bread. Over half a loaf. Who eats that much each day? 2&5 of fruit and veg is also a massive amount.

Like those stupid glucose tests that I always fail that come in a fixed-size bottle, I think that portion size should be adjustable to the size of the person doing the eating. Big people eat lots of food. Small people don't eat much. They'd be better off pushing ratios instead - eg 1/2 your evening meal should be veggies, not that you should eat X cups of the stuff each day. That would make far more sense.

I'm normally one of those irritatingly skinny people that needs to snack constantly or risk shrinking :) Hence the perpetual supply of peanuts and sultanas on my desk. Mmmmm peanuts *crunch crunch*

There have been many times where our family has had to pull in our belts and I have written a cookbook that has extremely cheap meals all with the costs listed beside them and where you buy that item from.

The meals do not cost more than $2, so it is a lot more than this guy. But the meals feed anywhere from 2 - 5 people and include stuff like fried rice, frittata, spaghetti, pancakes with maple syrup -- some of it is really basic and I plan to give copies to my younger brother who just moved out of home so he can budget a bit better.

I've found I can't publish it because I have the brand names of the products and can be sued for using them without their permission. I'm working on it though, and using a foreward with buying the cheapest ingredients you can find from the cheapest stores. Still, I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. We never had the meals every night, but 3 times a week and it saved us so much money.

I tell people this is part of how we saved for a house deposit and they can't imagine having to cut back so much. But, it's more of a time thing. You just need to make the time to bake, to cook and to prepare. Homemade muffins, biscuits and breakfasts that don't come out of a cereal box. There is chocolate cake with no eggs, milk or butter and tastes delicious. I give the recipes to my family to help them out.

Agree, that sounds terrific; well done.

Especially on the 3 nights a week part, would bring the average per day down a fair bit without really going without.

Other issues is there's inadequate fruit, which is high in anti-oxidants and vitamins.

A good government devised eating guideline recommends we get 5 cups of vegetable and 2 cups of fruit a day.

Dahl made from lentils or split peas is a very healthy alternative to meat.

See, to me it's not rocket science. What you have described above is basically what yer average man from 10,000 years ago would eat; a lot of grains and veges, and not a lot of meat (he has to catch it and kill it).

So, based on the "nature" aspect of what you should eat, then if you were to think about what you would eat if you were a hunter/gatherer, your diet would be a very, very natural one.

Lots of fruit and veges, not a lot of meat, not very big portions and lots of exercise.

It's not rocket science.

But now, we have a totally different set of items on our daily menu, we all sit in the car, the train, the bus etc, and sit behind the computer/XBox/Nintendo/plasma and so on....

Hmm..I eat cows, cows eat grass

How do they get all thier nutrients if they only eat grass, the dog only seems to eat grass when he feels crook and usually upchucks afterwards :confused:

How do cows get fat eating only grass, how does fat get into thier meat and milk from eating only grass?

The mind ponders ;)

Hi red

different "life systems"

Fish dont need to eat meat or grass and they do ok : )

Dogs dont do well on a veg diet, though can work.

Cows dont do well on meat, though pigs can do ok, even their own kind

Humans are much more adaptable

ta
rolf

I'm also worried about some of these cows

supercow09.jpg

And adaptable humans

steroid-bodybuilder002.jpg

side-credits to photoshop

Back