2 br unit Richmond sell or hold

Hi all I have a Deco style renoed 2 br apartment [no parking] in Bendigo st Richmond it pays for itself. With the Channel 9 developement plus the massive amount of apts being built in Richmond I question whether I will see any CG in the next 5 yrs . Is the fact that it is period style enough to see it not be dragged down by the glut of new apartments. Debating whether to sell and use profit to pay a bit off my own mortgage or ride it out. Thanks in anticipation any thoughts appreciated. Cheers

depend on your circumstances - financially and your goals in life

personally - i would sell down to keep debt levels low.

i too can't foresee any massive CG in inner city melbourne.

An old-style 2 bedder is very different from a shoebox in the new developments. Might be an 'apartment' but totally different buyers.

Is the fact that it is period style enough to see it not be dragged down by the glut of new apartments.

In a word - 'no', but it will certainly soften the blow (if there is a blow). Period homes hold their value much better than new homes (generally speaking).

Sell and pay down debt...

I made a similar choice recently

The golden age of property invesment looking for capital gains (buy and hold) is some time past. It will rise again but not for a while.

Do something more creative with the money. Could also be property related but not buy and hold.

i agree paying down is the best for the moment. those times of holiding 5-10 years for a guranteed CG has passed. it still happens but does not apply across the board. go back 6-7 years. u could basically buy anything and it would have gone up 2-3 years.

Also - selling to get a good price is extremely hard in this current climate.

Back