2013 Election: Senate Vote

First choice - easy - second choice - well, okay - third choice - ummmmmm - and from there I was lost - last choice was a toss up between Fred Nile and the Wikileaks Party

That's where I found it got difficult at the last election. I wanted to put about 7 of the 35 senate candidates last.

You guys have got it easy. We have 82 candidates on the Senate sheet. I put a 1 on the top line only. Other than the sitting member for the House of Reps, I've never heard of all the candidates on the green paper. Did I mention I'm going on a holiday to the Great Barrier Reef on the 7th?

yes I totally agree with your logic, I even donated to the Victoria branch.

But my vote wont be going there because of this.

Voted yesterday and stood their for a minute wondering if i could really be stuffed filling out 97 boxes. Did it anyway, you were right, very annoying, especially as you cant fit the senate ballot paper open flat in the width of the polling booth space, so i was constantly flipping it over to decide who i disliked the least after about 20 or so.
Worst part was i got to the last box and was only up to 96 so had to count back through and find where i had doubled up. Found it at 43, so made one of them 97 and thought that'll do. At least i saved time going pre poll without having to queue on election day. It;s not like my intentions would change in the next week or so.

We are pre-polling voting tomorrow. WAS hoping to vote Clive (seeing as he is local) but now....NOOOOOOOO sorry Clive LNP gets it. Just cant vote greens :(

Other than the sitting member for the House of Reps, I've never heard of all the candidates on the green paper.

That's one of the biggest problems candidates face.

The advantages of incumbency are many and varied.

The best chance for candidates is when the sitting member retires.

We are pre-polling voting tomorrow. WAS hoping to vote Clive (seeing as he is local) but now....NOOOOOOOO sorry Clive LNP gets it. Just cant vote greens :(

spot on, Palmer has got some quite good policies, but there is no way i am going to allow my senate vote to be indirectly given to the greens.

So again its the libs. Given that i live in the seat of Melbourne, it will probably be indirectly preferenced back to labour, but better labour than greens.

Hopefully with the increased use of the internet, at the next election, the parties will realise that they have a duty of care. But i don't hold much hope.

Back