220 K Loan Approval - Buy 1 bed or Save more

I am dissapointed. Just got off the phone with mb and he's saying that ANZ will only loan me $220 K. This is because my income is too low. I'm on $50 K pa. I thought I would be able to get a larger loan (around $280 K) and was looking to buy a 2 bed villa.

He suggested waiting till I'm on a higher income. I dont think he is into 1 bed units. He likes the capital growth a villa with courtyard can give you.

I'm thinking I need and want to buy what I can afford and when I can afford to. I have a good amount of savings $31 K and growing.

1 bed unit in woodall

Here is another link
1st visit with mb im excited

re: woodall street 1 bed
Rolf Latham
last sold for 38 000 in 1998

Good gains on that one, though in 1989 it sold for 44 k

ta
rolf

Ok so If I had bought this 1 bed in Woodall Street Dianella in 1998 for $38 K today it is valued at approximately $200 K. Thats not bad capital growth isnt it!!

This ip is located just 5 minutes from the corner of walter road and grand prom, lots of shops, great transport, quite street.

I dont think it would be a mistake to buy a 1 bed now.

What do you think? Buy now if I can only get a $220 K loan?

Tough decision, Kim. Nobody said it was easy. If it was, more people would be doing it.
My daughter went through this same process. In the end, she decided that property prices would increase at a rate faster than her ability to save, so she went for a 1 bedder in a blue chip suburb here in Adelaide.
It's gained in value int he 12 months she has had it, but only because it's been a strong market here in the last year.
If you think the market may may plateau and you can continue saving at a good rate, then maybe hold off.
If the banks lending criteria relaxes in the future, you may be in a better position to borrow more. At the moment, their service models are very tough, which impacts the amount you can borrow.
No matter what you do, it will work out, one way or the other. Do what feels right to you. Others can only advise based on their own experience, circumstances and risk profile.
Hope that helps.

Any chance of a higher yielding property in the areas that looking in or could your Reno make it cash flow nutural??
That would really help out for gaining your next IP if you didn't have such a large Short fall... Currently I am doing a full Reno on a duplex to make it cash flow nutural, thus making it easier to aquire more IP's in a shorter time...

Good luck

Hi Kim

ANZ serviceability model isnt the top of the pile, so why the focus on that. I know previolsy we were looking at a small 40 sqm unit

You might be able to pull a bit more from elsewhere

ta
rolf

My daughter went through this same process. In the end, she decided that property prices would increase at a rate faster than her ability to save, so she went for a 1 bedder in a blue chip suburb here in Adelaide. It's gained in value int he 12 months she has had it, but only because it's been a strong market here in the last year.

Yeah thats what I have been considering. I can save around the $12 K mark pa but if property prices increase in Perth in the next 12 months by more than that then i'd be better off to buy now, wouldn't I.

Perth people what do you think will happen in the next 12 months? Do you think values will go up by much? Slow growth? Moderate growth?

If you think the market may plateau and you can continue saving at a good rate, then maybe hold off..

I think Perth has stopped plateauing now. I think Perth's values are heading up. What do others in Perth think?

If the banks lending criteria relaxes in the future, you may be in a better position to borrow more. At the moment, their service models are very tough, which impacts the amount you can borrow

But the thing is though..... from what I have read on these forums when banks relaxes its lending and lends more freely this usually equates to a strong/stronger economy/rising/top of the market. Would not be sensible to buy then.

thanks it was a help ta :)

Last edited:
Any chance of a higher yielding property in the areas that looking in or could your Reno make it cash flow nutural??
That would really help out for gaining your next IP if you didn't have such a large Short fall... Currently I am doing a full Reno on a duplex to make it cash flow nutural, thus making it easier to aquire more IP's in a shorter time...

Good luck

Yeah I think a reno would be a good idea.

I just worked out that i would be ncf by $75 a week if I bought a $220 K ip. The rent would be around $200.

I'd need to confirm these figures with mb though.

If I were able to buy a property for around $190 K or $200 K then the cashflow would be looking better.

There's a place for sale here for $180k rented at $200pw until Feb if you're interested in a +ve place. It was subdivisible but the owner divided it and didn't drop the asking price ...

.... so you might even be able to talk the vendor down.

Yeah thats what I have been considering. I can save around the $12 K mark pa but if property prices increase in Perth in the next 12 months by more than that then i'd be better off to buy now, wouldn't I.

Remember though, if you have an extra $12k saved them it will help your borrowing power by a lot more than that ($50k more at 80% LVR). If they only go up by $20k then you would be in a lot stronger position if you had waited. That's where a crystal ball might come in handy :D

Not saying one way or another but I just wanted you to be clear on the bit I highlighted above.

i've been thinking it over for the past few days and I think i will wait for 1 more year. Hopefully then I can get a larger loan. I'd be happy to get a $250 k loan. I should have around $45 K saved too.

Kim,

The other thing to keep in mind is to increase your personal exertion income - many people scoff at this (bah! work harder at my JOB??) but if you treat it as part of your personal development, it can be useful too. I am not talking just about your current job, but second jobs etc.

I believe you are in the boom state where employers are falling over themselves for good employees..... perhaps make use of it.

Cheers,

The Y-man

....again you have asked, so I am offering my thoughts, applicable to us.

I would be in the game, I would be looking at somethng I thought a good deal (for us), and be taking the good buying to our MB and asking if we could please have a crack at this.

I want to be in the game, not warming the seat up.

The scenario you have provided is not unlike our first venture, except we were less income.

Same amount -ish of savings, obviously a different climate, financially, but got us a leg into property for starters.

I seriously don't like warming benches. I would be in, 1 bedder, 2 ...more affordable area, whatever due diligence done, good buying, buying well, when u can...what it takes to get into it. Get it rolling.

That's just me.

Kim,

The other thing to keep in mind is to increase your personal exertion income - many people scoff at this (bah! work harder at my JOB??) but if you treat it as part of your personal development, it can be useful too. I am not talking just about your current job, but second jobs etc.

The Y-man

I have thought about taking on a 2nd job but it is just not worth it for me health wise! One full time job is plenty for me. I need time for my fitness/sport/socializing/family. I need to keep balanced and healthy. Physical and Mental health is important.

Good news is I have had a promotion so I'm earning more now. It's an acting position. The substantive is acting elsewhere. There were actually 2 jobs advertised. So there are 2 newbies.

I have been in the job for a week now and have heard positive feedback. They have all been impressed with my work. Have been happy with me. :) yey

I have been working hard so that if one of the substantives does come back they will choose to keep me over the other guy. I'm putting in 100% This is a level 3 public service position :) which im ecstatic about.

our obsession;593040 I seriously don't like warming benches. I would be in said:
whatever[/I] due diligence done, good buying, buying well, when u can...what it takes to get into it. Get it rolling.

That's just me.

What about the negative cash flow though? Would you still think it worthwhile to buy a 1 bed unit in Perth with a negative cash flow of $70 a week.

How about I buy a $200 K property in Perth and instead of $70 a week negative cashflow, I put in $20 K of my own cash to make it more cashflow neutral. I would then have $10 K in my bank. Or better yet I put in $10 K of my cash to renovate it. I dont know if its more important to have the money in the my bank account or put the money into a deal.

I keep changing my mind. :confused: I dont know what the right thing to do is. I dont want to make a mistake.

=our obsession;593040The scenario you have provided is not unlike our first venture, except we were less income.

Same amount -ish of savings, obviously a different climate, financially, but got us a leg into property for starters.

I would love to hear your story. Please :)

How did you start?

What we want is your story Kim.

You have done so much already, saving for funds to complete and stuff, being here learning, sharing...I see you so poised, ready to strike, you have the power.

<Play Rocky's theme here>

Seriously you are doing it, and it is completely understandable going through the .."am I jumping in too soon/too late/got enough funds/should I do this, do that" scenarios.

We had some savings, low income and had many choices, we could buy an already established home, an older place and do a renovation of sorts, and I *****ed my donkey ears to 2 x new schools being built in Bendigo (Vic regional city), and found a block of land a few streets away from a new school going up, quiet little street, newer homes, families...bought the block and paid I think it was $39,000, these blocks doubled within 12-18 months btw.

Got a construction going and I think we had ended up borrowing $191,000, all up, was rented before painters had finished, curtains hung..

BUT the thing is we could have invested from many choices...I knew the area, I had studied prices and rentals, just talked to people, gleaning as much info as I could. We would pack a little picnic and drive the streets when we had some time to ourselves, got an update feel for the different areas...it's amazing what you pick up as an osmosis/diffusion thing just by being there. Kept an eye on local papers for local Shire, school news, just stuff...

So, you might have a few areas you are familiar with?

Know your streets, suburbs, what property is fetching, I ratted around the auctions (just as spectator) to get the hang of what went on, what was being sold for what, to whom..chatted to real estate folk, agents, property managers..subscribed to my homepriceguide to see all sales of stuff last 12 months, because I am a curious type.

I did decide we needed to keep it simple for us. So wasn't going to be any renos first, figured that could come later, (and we did)...but some folks do start off with minor reno stuff, eg Nathan and slapping some paint and stuff around up where he is. But because Mr OO is cautious guy, different mindset (at that stage), really wanted to keep it as simple as possible.

Then we discovered somersoft, met up with an old school friend and found a mortgage broker who really, really suited us...that's when the penny dropped, holy crapolo, people can keep buying these suckers and really go places. Branch off into EVERYTHING!

But you do require to get it going.

I realise you will do that at your own pace, own risk and tolerance and SANF level, completely understandable.

Just because the ANZ is playing some tune, you might think you need to be tapdancing to that tune. Explore another bit of music. I... too have heard the ANZ is servicibility wise the most rigorous? or// maybe you can find something more affordable, there are much more savvy and astute figures people on this forum that you can run figures and deals by...maybe check out some properties and post up the figures?

maybe you are working out things in your own mind too:

What about the negative cash flow though? Would you still think it worthwhile to buy a 1 bed unit in Perth with a negative cash flow of $70 a week.

How about I buy a $200 K property in Perth and instead of $70 a week negative cashflow, I put in $20 K of my own cash to make it more cashflow neutral. I would then have $10 K in my bank. Or better yet I put in $10 K of my cash to renovate it. I dont know if its more important to have the money in the my bank account or put the money into a deal.

Maybe it is a better idea for buying something neutral, something up and running, keep it simple to begin with...buy well. You have the buying power, you know what will suit your framework best.

Everyone here (and remember all those that are out doing it-but don't post), has their own story, but started somewhere.

We all start somewhere and then learn some more and adjust the knicker comfort as we go along. But, congrats on what you have worked so hard at so far to achieve and have yourself poised for the choices ahead.

I am dissapointed. Just got off the phone with mb and he's saying that ANZ will only loan me $220 K. This is because my income is too low. I'm on $50 K pa. I thought I would be able to get a larger loan (around $280 K) and was looking to buy a 2 bed villa.

He suggested waiting till I'm on a higher income. I dont think he is into 1 bed units. He likes the capital growth a villa with courtyard can give you.

I'm thinking I need and want to buy what I can afford and when I can afford to. I have a good amount of savings $31 K and growing.

1 bed unit in woodall

Here is another link
1st visit with mb im excited

re: woodall street 1 bed

Ok so If I had bought this 1 bed in Woodall Street Dianella in 1998 for $38 K today it is valued at approximately $200 K. Thats not bad capital growth isnt it!!

This ip is located just 5 minutes from the corner of walter road and grand prom, lots of shops, great transport, quite street.

I dont think it would be a mistake to buy a 1 bed now.

What do you think? Buy now if I can only get a $220 K loan?

To me some restrictions a really healthy thing for us . It forces us to buy better , shop harder .
I'd buy now stuff him , you have heaps to work with see someone else but stick to the two b if that's what 'you' want. Only I'd hunt down a bargain or something that needs a dress up, they're always out there.

JMO
Cheers

Back