23 properties in 5 years

Scary stuff.
$9,000 x how many attendees??
Looks like a much quicker return than property investing!!

I think you will find that Karina has offloaded a few of those Geraldton properties ( for significant gains )

kp

Bit harder to do 23 properties in 5 years if you started in the last 2 or 3 years though .... our goal is just to have enough passive income to live on, through whatever means. Property isn't the primary means for us, although if we built a second house and magically got out of debt (by selling seminar tickets or some such) rent from the two houses would be enough for us to live on comfortably.

Now, about selling those $9,000 tickets. Damn, I want to be in that gig. Half a dozen of those and I'm out of debt and home free! Couple dozen more and I can buy myself a whole bunch more IPs and an Indonesian housemaid!

Now, about selling those $9,000 tickets. Damn, I want to be in that gig. Half a dozen of those and I'm out of debt and home free! Couple dozen more and I can buy myself a whole bunch more IPs and an Indonesian housemaid!

The last time someone did that, the "housemaid" "maid" a fortune...ie Hancock...
(to be fair, I dont even know if Rose is Indonesian...I suspect she isn't!...):D
Too many "fathers day presents" for me today!!!:D

Hi Angela,

I assume you are talking about John Fitzgerald ,author of 7 steps to wealth. I attended his seminar back in 2000 and it gave me some valuable information about realestate investing in general and building up a portfolio over time using the equity from one property to buy the next and so forth.

I did not attend any expensive seminars with John Fitzgerald or any other group, I think the most I have ever spent on a seminar was about $500.00, nor did I buy any property through any particular group, all my properties I found myself. I don't believe there is any "secret" to property investing that you need to go out and pay someone $1000's of $ to tell you.

There is plenty of excellent information available in books on property investing. If it was my $9000 I'd put it towards my next investment property.

In regards to groups I would recommend I would start with the somersoft meetings in your state (they are free of charge). Have a look at the meeting point section of this forum. This will give you an opportunity to meet other investors and learn from their experiences as well.

I assume you are talking about John Fitzgerald ,author of 7 steps to wealth.
Hi Karina,

Or maybe she is referring to John Burley, as his Money Secrets of the Rich book was laid out as steps too?

Regardless of which "expert" it is, I would strongly advise against paying more than a few hundred dollars to attend one of their educational seminars. And it appears I'm not alone in that view:

John Burley Seminars

Cheers,
Michael

Depends..... on whether they get their claws into you or not.
Just don't latch onto one with the name 'costalotta'

I thought I would post an update on that 63k cheapie I purchased in geraldton in 2004, the one the agent told me not to buy.......

I settled on the property today. It sold for 190k! Sometimes the "problem" properties offer the best gains.

Karina if you are still following this post
Have you kept any of the Geraldton properties?
Is there an agency in town that you used that you would recommend?

We are having a good hard look at some vacant land in the area on the basis of the potential increase in activity in the mid west over the next 12 to 18 months in line with mining and port expansion.

I would like to contact a good agent or agency for some market feedback

kp

Hi Kp,

Yes I have kept most of my geraldton properties as I think we will see further growth in Geralton in years to come with Oakajee looking like its going ahead and other projects on the go. I sold a few properties that didn't attract the right type of tenants but kept all the better located properties.

Some info on the proposed Oakajee Port.
(http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/regional/19514.asp).

Rents have risen substantially over the last 2 years. Lower end propeties that were achieving 130-150 in rent are now renting for 200-260 a week.

I'd recommend Ty Criddle from Ray White (0427175426) he is a very good agent and invests in the area himself.

Fantastic!

Hi Karina,

I wish you could know how valuable your story has been to relatively new investors like me. Many many congratulations on what you've achieved and how you went about it. I wish other members would also share their stories like you. Maybe open a new thread for stories.

Cheers,
Roopam

Thanks for the contact Karina,
Have left a message with him.

I think you will see another surge in your property values once this next mining swing gets underway and your patience will be rewarded ( again).

I think the area will attract miners away from the Pilbara once the jobs are created, as it is a better lifestyle location compared.

kp

Great story, first time I've read it.

The question is - is it possible to do this today?
Karina said she focused on cheap properties in coastal suburbs. If one wanted to try and replicate her success should the focus be on regional areas instead now?

I don't think you could do it now. Rental yields are way too low. Maybe in 2-3 of years.

Great story, first time I've read it.

The question is - is it possible to do this today?
Karina said she focused on cheap properties in coastal suburbs. If one wanted to try and replicate her success should the focus be on regional areas instead now?

I took a bit of a punt on the tassie place I just bought. I like coastal property but have always been reluctant to buy in towns with small populations. The property was an x dept housing home in a seaside village called Triabunna (an hours drive to Hobart) its a fishing village, there are plans for a marina and resort. The property cost me 90k, I have just rented it today for $180.00 per week to a mature couple looking for a lifestyle change.They can't wait to get started planting things in the garden! So far so good. I think it is going to be a good investment. There are no houses available for sale under 130k I believe. The house is 4 bedroom brick. I actually had to pay $5k more than the asking price as they had multiple offers on it. Honestly I have done very little research on Triabunna but the fact that there are no houses in that price range for sale and the rental return available on it seemed to me like a good deal.
Hey Karina,

Just finished reading through this thread. Thanks for sharing!! It's refreshing to hear about young ladies who start off on their own and make things work for them. =)

Just wondering if your Tassie 'punt' has worked out well for you or not?

Fokas,

I sold the tassie place for 140k after 1 year, spent around 8k in renovations and rented at 160 a week while I was holding it so not a huge profit but not too bad.

Hi Karina

Grat post, i was in a similar position 4 years ago except I had3 children who were then 6 weeks old, 20 months old and 7 years no job and in my 1st year of my law degree.

Fast forward to now, I have 3 properties which i own with my mother which are now cash flow neutral as a result of the interest drops and looking to purchase property to develop.

Back