2560 Postcode & Surrounds

I know that infrastructure is one the things one must research before investing....i read above something about trainlines or buses being put into place. where does one go to find this information? this in not something easily found on city rail site i imagine right?

I just speak to people and ask questions.
Some seem to know about these things before they get posted anywhere, and with much juicer details & gossip.

btw the water board is upgrading the mains along Queen St next Jan/Feb.

thanks!

By the way, I'm not sure whether this falls under your "watch zone" but I've heard no one mention Oran Park and the other developments proposed for the area. Is there a reason? Too early? No one sees potential?

Just curious really.

There's a lot of activity under the surface and work has already begun.
Afaik negotiations are still underway in terms of infrastructure and who's going to pay for it and how much will the developers contribute.
The railway to Leppinton has already been announced (for the nth time), stating it will go ahead.
There's major works going on along Cobbity Rd connecting it to Camden Valley Way.
It's pretty big project, so it's going to take a lot of time, but I reckon in 6 mths they'll start advertising 1st stage sales.
It will join up with Catherine fields & Harrington Pk which is also rapidly expanding.
There's plenty more going on in that area in terms of developments & negotiations, but much of it is on the "hush hush" side.

What just about nobody know is that there has been another development in the pipeline in Appin for a few years now.
And yep, near the AGL proposed Gas plant. So there's going to be a huge budget in the political funds fighting that plant.
Of course the media will make it an "environmental" issue and all the local councils are opposed. And rightly so imo as well.

And in the other direction Edmonson Park was also on the cards for a while and will eventually join up to Denham Court, but will be much more densely populated.
Though there is a parliamentary investigation on the goings on in that region...

Interesting. I often wonder if there are enough jobs in the area to support all the newcomers or whether there will be an over supply of houses. I don’t quite believe the latter is possible, but I don’t see too many developments in the job sector etc....

That said it is only my opinion based on the little research I've done. Still have a lot to learn though! But was interested to see what your opinion was maybe .......

Was there jobs to sustain all the houses that went up last 10 yrs?
Nope, >60% of workers commute to work outside the area.
Did it matter? nope.
Did it stop sales? nope
But just like then it's still much cheaper than other areas.

I grew up in Campbelltown, it's gone a bit downhill since then (I left over 15 years ago, but still have family in Camden and Mount Annan).
I think if you stick to Ruse, Bradbury, Mount Annan, Narellan you should be okay. Airds and Claymore are largely housing commission.
Minto used to be rough, not sure what it's like now. Leumeah Heights used to be okay, again it may have changed.
Harrington Park (2567) is lovely but probably overpriced as it's a new development.

I tend to agree....

I've heard Bradbury is doing rather well for IP.

Oran Park is going to be massive. I drive past it most days and the amount of land they have out there that is being developed is huge. They really need a Train Line running out to Narellan, Campbelltown Station is already struggling for parking and so on at Peak Hour. Would hate to catch the train once an extra 66,000 are in the surrounding area.

I'd rather see a reliable and frequent bus service than a train station. Having a train station usually increases crime rates from what i've researched.

Oran park will see a shopping centre close to the size of Narellan and also when Turner Rd development goes ahead a similar size one there.

There is a new very very large Bunnings store just opened up with plans for an Aldi and Dan Murphy's to be built very shortly.

Easts (Football) Country Club is also planned to be built on land they own new Bunnings.

Make no mistake about it there is going to be a population boom in Macarthur area.

There is definitly alot going on in terms of development thats for sure. There is a train line going in, it has been comfirmed but it's not close enough to increase crime but close enough to be convient for city goers. The line is meant to run from Glenfield station, out the back of Denham Court and into Leppington.

Saw the new bunnings, didn't know they were planning a Dan Murphy's and Aldi too!

Park Central

Anyone got any thoughts on Park Central?

Most of my work is based in park Central. There are still a lot of offices that are yet to be leased at Centric. VUE has only about 6 offices occupied. Pinnacle Appartments and Pinnacle North have a fairly high turn over of tenants.. most of them tell me they cant afford the rent anymore.But town homes are sitll being built.

Well it's a new year and BOS Brands On Sale (not DFO) has opened but not yet filled available leeting space.

Plenty empty space in Park Central, and yep many more houses being built, and many sold at a loss form original price of a few yrs ago.
60 apartment for sale near the CBD with more in the pipeline if the market picks up.
Another ~150 house new development in Ctown to start this year, and a few others in the wind around the town.

Oran Park has started advertising on the local papers.

And REAs are mostly on holidays as this seems the quiet time of the year for them.

I know that infrastructure is one the things one must research before investing....i read above something about trainlines or buses being put into place. where does one go to find this information? this in not something easily found on city rail site i imagine right?
I would suggest going in person to the local council and ask.
Somethings are in planning fors or decades before anything happens.

Seems that some big infrastructer projects are headed 2560 way.
Major roads, transport and railway upgrades next 5-10 years.
A main theme being connecting east to west, and a few other items still not yet publicly available.

It seems the people upstairs have designated Ctown an "emerging" regional center soon to become "regional center" and thus throwing some upgrades that way.
The M5 is already underway, but that's just the start.

N.B. As I posted before, I don't think spending on infrastructer is any real gauge of CG for an area, like those office experts that print reports and do seminars. They are wrong, plenty history to prove it.

Your right about all the construction going on around campbelltown. They have been upgrading macarthur station for a while now and I think alot of people will be happy once the M5 section is complete, even though it will still be a parking lot in peak hour!

Went through the BOS the other day and it's quite dead in there at the moment, a few shops are in there but I would have thought there to be a lot more either way.

There's a few extra train tracks being added and talk of joining up Badgally road (my east-west) with a bridge or tunnel.
BOS has a few more letted stores and the square is still the "hang out".

The new pub opened up calling itself a "family" pub...
All this will do is increase the riffraff that walks through Park Central.
That's the problem with new developements, unless you see how it plays out you end up screwed by marketers lies & deception. Just like Glen Alpine.

Prices seem to have moved up a little in the bottom to mid end of the market, as have expenses and interest rates.
Of course REA's only mention that "prices are goin up maaaiiiit! betta buy qwik and that" lol
And there's a few investors buying in the market as well.
Still with more rate rises looming and 90% LVRs, it not a pretty proposition unless cashflow or salary is strong.
But for those saying PPOR buyers are "priced out of the market" is rubbish.
There plenty livable places under 300k round here.

The local RE section of the papers have been the thinnest I've seen them in a long time.
A lot of lower priced homes have been sold, and some movement upwards in prices & rents still happening.
There's even more residential development than I thought in the pipeline for C'town.
A few big projects going round the town, and more to begin.
This will soon bring median prices higher, and the usual clueless fanfare by the vested interests followed by the regurgitation crowd.

There was some good news for some who bought under build cost almost new homes and have seen revaluation increases of 50% over the last few years.
Well done to them.

I had some revals done latly for 2 places in the campbelltown area

both showed approx 10-11% cap growth over the past 8-12 months.
I think this is lower then the sydney average.

Comments from the valuer was that their was little compariable stock to conduct valuations and that prices since 2004 have been steadily declining and flattening out now. Low-medium risk of pressure on house prices in that area due to interest rate rises.

1 valuation was about 10-20k higher then i expected. 1 valuation was approx 10-15k lower then expected.

Trade off i think for the lower cap growth is the higher rental yield. (I'd still prefer higher growth and less yield tho)

I'm quoting from another thread so my postings on the subject are all here

lol did'nt want to seem rude, but it just seems like you were judge, jury and executioner.

As Skater said, it's mainly a good area and worth looking.

Each suburb has it's good parts and bad parts.
The only places I'd be weary of is Airds & Claymore and adjoining areas.
I would never say "never" but it would have to be a darn good deal for me to consider buying there. Of course if the HC would lease my property and indemnify me for damages for no extra fees, I'd give it a good look.

Rosemeadow actually has some very good parts, and a few blocks to stay away from. But most part i think is quiet good with many high % owner occupied blocks worth looking at. And they are far and out of the way of the "not so good" parts.
Same with St Helens Pk. I think the newer areas are worth looking into. I remember most as they were being built.

Ambarvale is the oldest suburb of the 3 and is really a mixed bag. it has some good areas worth looking into but a much higher % of HC. So imo not as good as the others.
Many streets are HC, but look like normal houses, and you would'nt know unless you knew someone that lived there. Some are privately owned and leased to HC, so title searches can be misleading.

Dont forget Campbelltown itself. There are still many old houses, owner occupied on large block with potential for renovation/subdivision.
And the council is slowly expanding it's medium density areas near & around the CBD.

Same goes with Leumeah, but somehow i never got good "vibes" with more than a few streets there.

Recently I went out for a look and was surprised at how affordable it has become. And as Luvvit pointed out, you can get ~5% cashflow with a bit of effort.

But how much CGs??
Well in the early 90's you could buy a 3Br 1LUG brick house for 100/120k and rent it out for 160-180 wk.
So they more than doubled in about 10yrs, with prices coming down since 2003.

well there's my 20c + 2c GST.

TigerGT the problem i have with Leumeah is that everytime i drive past, most of it seems thoroughfare.

The other point I did'nt mention was median prices.
I learnt long ago that they are meaningless unless you know what happening in the local area.
They were so wrong for my IP's it was funny.
The funniest was a few years ago when API touted 2560 as the highest gains.

The local knowledge of knowing which areas/streets to avoid is always useful.
And the locals who mainly rent out the properties know as well, regardless of what's in the press.
The outsiders, banks & valuers seem to have less idea.
fwiw I think 80% of Rosemeadow is better than 80% of Ambarvale & Eaglevale.
There are also other good areas in St Helen's pk, Bradbury, Campbelltown, Woodbine (nth), in no order.
A lot of HC has been sold off to private onwers, so many streets in Ambarvale are now a mix of HC, renters & owners. These are not unit blocks, but houses on land and look like normal streets.

Personally I'm not a big fan of unit blocks unless they are newish, almost finished and distressed sale.
There is also a lot of new stock coming on the market as council is encouraging multistorey developments near the CBD.
Maybe it's just my bias, but if you can buy a reasonable block size with a house at 5-6% yield and room for improvement, why buy a block of units for 7% yield?
Prices seem stable.
PM me if your ever out this way.

Back