3 and 5 year fixed rate thread

Just a question, if I borrow at the very fixed interest rate now. In the future, whenthe interest rate raises, if I terminate the contract earlier, the break fee will be nil as bank can use my low cost fund to fund other high interest rate borrowers. Is that right?

Just a question, if I borrow at the very fixed interest rate now. In the future, whenthe interest rate raises, if I terminate the contract earlier, the break fee will be nil as bank can use my low cost fund to fund other high interest rate borrowers. Is that right?

Doubt it

There is reasonable logic that the economic break cost should be less than now, but its not a strategy I would recommend because there are too many what ifs

ta
rolf

It will mean that your break cost is less but not $0. It is a formula they use, the inputs of which are not known.

getting the loan to begin with is the number 1 goal,

Obtaining a higher borrowing capacity due to the current low rates then using it to maximise ones asset base would be my focus.

Even after completion of the asset accumulation phase of my portfolio I would be using the current climate to top up LOC/s and maximising access to further funds. You dont pay for the funds until such time as you draw down and use them - whether for business, investment or lifestyle.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of refinancing with UBank - 5.13% fixed for 3yrs. This is the lowest rate I have seen for a 3yr fixed loan. Gut feeling is there could be a slight chance of further cuts to fixed rates, so maybe we could see a 4.99-5.03% fixed rate for 3yrs but for me the difference between 5.13 and 4.99 does not warrant the risk that they opposite might occur and rates go up.

With the rents going up in Perth and at this rate I am almost positively geared on this investment property so happy to have peace of mind and not worry about rates for a while...on this property.

Lacasa

Just hope you don't plan to acquire anymore properties as you cant leverage off equity with this lender

I'm in the process of refinancing with UBank - 5.13% fixed for 3yrs. This is the lowest rate I have seen for a 3yr fixed loan. Gut feeling is there could be a slight chance of further cuts to fixed rates, so maybe we could see a 4.99-5.03% fixed rate for 3yrs but for me the difference between 5.13 and 4.99 does not warrant the risk that they opposite might occur and rates go up.

With the rents going up in Perth and at this rate I am almost positively geared on this investment property so happy to have peace of mind and not worry about rates for a while...on this property.

Lacasa

Just hope you don't plan to acquire anymore properties as you may struggle to leverage off equity with this lender

Just hope you don't plan to acquire anymore properties as you may struggle to leverage off equity with this lender

No plans at this stage. I am also in the final stage of building another property with a different lender so no issues with needing equity for now.

Do you have any experiences with Ubank?

No plans at this stage. I am also in the final stage of building another property with a different lender so no issues with needing equity for now.

Do you have any experiences with Ubank?

Not at the personal level but have had a few first hand conversations with current ubabk mortgage clients and from what i have been told and what i have subsequently read in their fine print it appears to me that they won't suit an "active" borrower. Set and forget loans / properties for sure.

Thanks for the feedback Marty. Looking for a basic set and forget at the lowest rate for 3 years, after that I will pay the loan out, so hopefully no problems with that once the 3 years fixed term is up.

Lacasa

Will rates go lower? Wont they? And if they do go lower, how much lower will they go, and how quickly? You'd really need the RBA to reduce rates by another 50 basis points in order for most lenders to pass on 40 points. And you'd need about a 40 point reduction against today's (discounted) variable rates to start to get in line with or below most the 2 and 3 year fixed rates currently available. AMP just did a deal for me at 5.09% for 2 years!

And then, even if the RBA dropped by 50 and the banks passed on 40 and you were "ahead" for a while, how long will rates stay low? Will they hold that low for 2-3 years , or will it only be temporary, with rates slowly climbing to mid 5's and 6's again?

Crystal Ball stuff really, but the 2 and 3 year rates that are available right now are certainly very attractive. A fairly strong case can be made that the downside risk of fixing investment debt for 2-3 years at the moment is pretty low.

and amp's rate are generally not the cheapest -they are mid point...but they do offer some unique/niche policy.

and yes 5.09% fixed for 2 years with AMP is impressive ~ as they don't neg.:mad:

Hi euro73

How did you manage to get the 5.09% rate with AMP? I heard they "don't negotiate" rates at all.

Thanks
la mouette

You are right, they won't negotiate at all. I threatened to take my business elsewhere, it didn't make any difference. I even asked to speak to the manager - another firm "no".

OK - thanks everyone. I've been looking at AMP's 2- and 3-year fixed rates of 5.14%, which I'd be happy with. But my eyes perked up at the 5.09%!

Back