3 and 5 year fixed rate thread

I'm interested in locking at 5 years with these banks (existing variable loans). I'm getting the sense consensus is that 5 year rates have bottomed and that waiting for banks to provide forward notice of a rate increase before locking to get the lowest rate is risky?

I'm interested in locking at 5 years with these banks (existing variable loans). I'm getting the sense consensus is that 5 year rates have bottomed and that waiting for banks to provide forward notice of a rate increase before locking to get the lowest rate is risky?

I don't like fixing for such a long time as things may change in 5 years. What if you need to sell? Get equity out? Very dangerous thing to do.

if you are inclined to fix for that long then st george fee is .15% which is only going to add .03% to your rate each year for the 5 years so any increase would be much more than this you would imagine. CBA rate lock is $750 so depending on the fixed amount you would have to work out the %

I don't like fixing for such a long time as things may change in 5 years. What if you need to sell? Get equity out? Very dangerous thing to do.

Can usually get equity out with a seperate stand alone loan.

But agreed 5 years is a long time to fix, mind you I did consider a 5 year fixed rate, ended up going with 2 :)

I've always been one to stick to variable, but haven't heeded my own advice couldn't resist ING 4.99% 2yr last friday...taking a partial hedge by doing a split and making the property cashflow +.

Does anyone know why nab's 2 year fixed rate for interest only in arrears is higher at 5.09% compared to P&I which is 4.99%? I believe that there is no difference between the two repayment methods at CBA for the 2 year fixed term.

just switched two of my CBA loans to 2 year fixed rate 4.99%
did it all online and extended my IO period by another 5 years
too easy

Does anyone know why nab's 2 year fixed rate for interest only in arrears is higher at 5.09% compared to P&I which is 4.99%? I believe that there is no difference between the two repayment methods at CBA for the 2 year fixed term.

Hi,

I believe IO fixed option is always higher than P&I fix option.

Also interest in advance fix option is always lower than fixed IO and/or fixed P&I.
This is based on my exp, but best to check with respective banks.

Hi,

I believe IO fixed option is always higher than P&I fix option.

Also interest in advance fix option is always lower than fixed IO and/or fixed P&I.
This is based on my exp, but best to check with respective banks.

Thanks. Basically I'm keen to fix only 50% of my loan amount and retain the remaining 50% at variable rate so that I can continue to utilise the 100% offset account (linked to the variable loan account) to minimise my interest payments. I'm opting for IO purely due to tax reasons.

Does anyone know what the comparable 2-year fixed rate for IO in arrears at CBA?

just switched two of my CBA loans to 2 year fixed rate 4.99%
did it all online and extended my IO period by another 5 years
too easy

I was told by nab that their turnaround is approx 1 week. There are forms that need to be signed and they will do a formal credit check again. Apparently if I ask for split loans (a portion fixed a portion variable) it will take even longer. I so wish I was with CBA.

Hi all

I'm considering moving from variable to fixed.

But in making the decision, I would like to know what the break fees are (eg: if I decide to sell the property or move back to the variable option).

The banks said they are unable to provide me with an indication of the fees.

Does anyone know if there's a formula? Or has anyone had any experience and is able to provide some indication?

Thanks in advance.

Back