3 Unit Development - Epping (Vic)

Happy days, so when will it be completed??

One thing that stuck with me was that you mentioned the design is very important and will save money if you get it right. How long has it taken you to get this right or find the right person to work with.

I am currently looking for someone to design my drawings, I am also mindful that you can pay too much for this???

Cheers
Marisa

Hi Marisa

I reckon sometime in July is a safe bet. :) I'm aiming to be at lock-up at the end of this month.

The design element is so crucial with all developments. I think 70% of your costs are determined at this point. It took me a couple of developments to realise getting the maximum use of a site is one aspect, designing them cost efficiently is another. Now i'm not saying to do your designs in a boring manner - one still needs to build with the end buyer in mind but simple things like your roofline and how this affects your guttering, your water detention system design, all engineering etc play a part in your costs. A simple thing like a european laundry rather than a full blown laundry saves you thousands for a unit development (small 2-3 bedroom units). Then there's the other side - how do get a great finish without the price tag. I love mouldings around the windows. :) Dirt cheap and it looks very classy. Very popular in the eastern suburbs in Melbourne.

With the designing of units/townhouses you can pay too much for anything i guess. I'd first spend the time and energy finding someone that is competent to do the design - if they are well priced then great. If they are expensive so be it. A few extra grand on a million plus development is ok if it means i save much more in construction. :)

I'm keen to see how you design your units in Perth. I understand some of your building techniques are a little different to us in Melbourne.

Cheers
Oscar

Looking good Oscar, weather in your favour too, look forward to updates, thanks for sharing :)

Cheers Jane

Thank Jane. Yep, i'm loving this weather. When i was building this time last year the sites were very boggy and difficult to work in. I had to have rock dumped along the muddy sections the size of bricks on one occasion :eek:

Oscar

Update

Today was one of those happy days - the concrete was poured and slabs are now complete. I have attached a couple of photos for viewing.

Now the rest of the build can run pretty quickly. The carpenter starts tomorrow with the wall frames followed by the roof truss. Fascia, guttering and roof tiles soon after that. Could do with more sunny days like today :p

Cheers Oscar

How soon can you start constructing on the pads after being poured?
We have to wait about 3 weeks here before brickwork can commmence.

These are small single story units so the next day. Chippie is there today marking out the site, cutting and putting on the bottom plates. I think you guys in Perth build brick for your internal walls. We use timber so there's not much pressure on the slab.

Oscar

Hi Marisa

I reckon sometime in July is a safe bet. :) I'm aiming to be at lock-up at the end of this month.

The design element is so crucial with all developments. I think 70% of your costs are determined at this point. It took me a couple of developments to realise getting the maximum use of a site is one aspect, designing them cost efficiently is another. Now i'm not saying to do your designs in a boring manner - one still needs to build with the end buyer in mind but simple things like your roofline and how this affects your guttering, your water detention system design, all engineering etc play a part in your costs. A simple thing like a european laundry rather than a full blown laundry saves you thousands for a unit development (small 2-3 bedroom units). Then there's the other side - how do get a great finish without the price tag. I love mouldings around the windows. :) Dirt cheap and it looks very classy. Very popular in the eastern suburbs in Melbourne.

With the designing of units/townhouses you can pay too much for anything i guess. I'd first spend the time and energy finding someone that is competent to do the design - if they are well priced then great. If they are expensive so be it. A few extra grand on a million plus development is ok if it means i save much more in construction. :)

I'm keen to see how you design your units in Perth. I understand some of your building techniques are a little different to us in Melbourne.

Cheers
Oscar

Hi Oscar
Am currently looking at elevations to get an idea, OMG, they are all the same, boring.... boring. In Perth everyone is determined to have a portico, however because the units are small I think they look rather silly and lost.

I am determined to have something different that looks good and wont break the bank.

OK, you got me interested in the mouldings around the windows, sounds good. Any chance of posting a picture of an elevation that has worked for you.

Thanks
Marisa

Hi Oscar
Am currently looking at elevations to get an idea, OMG, they are all the same, boring.... boring. In Perth everyone is determined to have a portico, however because the units are small I think they look rather silly and lost.

I am determined to have something different that looks good and wont break the bank.

OK, you got me interested in the mouldings around the windows, sounds good. Any chance of posting a picture of an elevation that has worked for you.

Thanks
Marisa

Here's an example. Compare the first with the second facade. Big difference!

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-townhouse-vic-templestowe-111327807

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-templestowe-107331200

Cheers Oscar

These are great and I see what you mean, I particularly liked the last one, Emerald Rise.

Your homes look like they have been completed to a high standard.

Do you stage your homes when selling??

Hi Anson, my understanding is that GST is pro-rata over 5 years. i.e. if you sell after 4 years you only pay 20% of the GST amount. Anything over 5 years and no GST payable. As for CG discount, depends on your structure. I operate under a trust and there will be a 50% CG discount after 12 from the date of the Certificate of Occupancy (in VIC). There are a few accountants on the forum, i'm sure they can clarify.

Oscar

Hi Oscar, What type of trust are you operating under? As an expat I get 0% discount so being able to set up a trust that gives 50% discount after 12 months would be invaluable. Any info you can give me on that trust type woud be great, I'll research it and run it by my accountant after I pay his bill :cool:

These are small single story units so the next day. Chippie is there today marking out the site, cutting and putting on the bottom plates. I think you guys in Perth build brick for your internal walls. We use timber so there's not much pressure on the slab.

Oscar

It also depends on the concrete mix used. Some mixes require a lot less curing time for suitable initial strength development.

Hi Oscar, What type of trust are you operating under? As an expat I get 0% discount so being able to set up a trust that gives 50% discount after 12 months would be invaluable. Any info you can give me on that trust type woud be great, I'll research it and run it by my accountant after I pay his bill :cool:

Hi Brendon, I use a standard discretionary trust. Too bad about being unable to claim the 50% discount. Can you get the discount for properties under your own personal name?

Oscar

Hi Brendon, I use a standard discretionary trust. Too bad about being unable to claim the 50% discount. Can you get the discount for properties under your own personal name?

Oscar

Thanks Oscar, that is very good to know. My properties, loans, insurance and library card are all under my name which is the problem cos I'm technically not a resident. Need to see if a descretionary trust can be set up to claim the 50% discount.

Despite the rain and cold conditions the chippies have been pushing along nicely. I have attached photos of the wall frames.

The roof truss for all units go up over the next couple of days.

So far well within budget and on time. I'm aiming for the bricklayer to start first week of May.

Cheers
Oscar

Attachments

• frame 1.jpg
    frame 1.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 126
  • frame 2.jpg
    frame 2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 115
  • frame 3.jpg
    frame 3.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 121
Despite the rain and cold conditions the chippies have been pushing along nicely. I have attached photos of the wall frames.

The roof truss for all units go up over the next couple of days.

So far well within budget and on time. I'm aiming for the bricklayer to start first week of May.

Cheers
Oscar

Looking good! When I come in mid May there will be so much to see!

Update

The rain has been a nuisance lately. You can see that the roof truss is all up now, the windows are in and the fascia and gutter is well underway. By this time next week the roof tiles should be there along with all fascia and gutters (including the box gutter between Units 1 & 2 - always a bit fiddly). Once the roof tiles are in at least the units are protected by the rain which seems to be around a lot more.

Cheers
Oscar

Attachments

• fascia gutter (3).jpg
    fascia gutter (3).jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 484
  • fascia gutter (5).jpg
    fascia gutter (5).jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 123
  • fascia gutter (6).jpg
    fascia gutter (6).jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 497
Hi Oscar
Perhaps a little too soon, but very curious to find out how all is going, despite the shocking weather in Melb.

Also, one question for you, not sure whether you already answered this, how long did it take to get the required permits etc for the builds and also expected building completion date (how many months from start to finish).

Cheers,
Marisa

Back