3 Unit Development - Epping (Vic)

Hi Oscar
Perhaps a little too soon, but very curious to find out how all is going, despite the shocking weather in Melb.

Also, one question for you, not sure whether you already answered this, how long did it take to get the required permits etc for the builds and also expected building completion date (how many months from start to finish).

Cheers,
Marisa

Hi Marisa

We have had some odd weather here that's for sure. Last 3-4 days have seen sunny 25 degree weather :eek: Helps getting the build go faster.

Was on site earlier this morning. I'll put some photo's up later today. All traveling nicely. :)

Getting permits for this sort of project really depends on who you use to get the design right and manage the process with the council. Secondly it depends on how busy the council is at the time. To give you a recent example, I lodged a Town Planning Permit application for a project in Reservoir 2 months ago and advertising has just been completed. No objections so I should receive the permit/DA in 3-4 weeks. So all up 3-4 months. When it comes to building units of this nature, it takes me around 4 months to build from start to finish.

Cheers
Oscar

I've uploaded a few photo's from the morning. The last week has seen the electrician do his rough in and electrical meters put in place. The plumbers have also done there rough ins. The internal walls have been straightened and the cavity sliders placed into position too. The boys today have wrapped the house and installed the wall and ceiling batts. One small drama today though. A couple of the pipes have been stapled so the plumbers are coming out next week to make sure there are no water leaks. No biggie - easily fixed.

Plasterers start next week along with the bricklayers. Things will really start taking shape then. :)

Cheers
Oscar

Attachments

• external wall wrap 1.jpg
    external wall wrap 1.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 434
  • external wall wrap 2.jpg
    external wall wrap 2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 411
  • internal wall batts.jpg
    internal wall batts.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 437
Getting permits for this sort of project really depends on who you use to get the design right and manage the process with the council. Secondly it depends on how busy the council is at the time. To give you a recent example, I lodged a Town Planning Permit application for a project in Reservoir 2 months ago and advertising has just been completed. No objections so I should receive the permit/DA in 3-4 weeks. So all up 3-4 months. When it comes to building units of this nature, it takes me around 4 months to build from start to finish.

Cheers
Oscar

4 months for permit/DA? The things dreams are made of :p Having no neighbours would help with no objections

Hi Marisa

We have had some odd weather here that's for sure. Last 3-4 days have seen sunny 25 degree weather :eek: Helps getting the build go faster.

Was on site earlier this morning. I'll put some photo's up later today. All traveling nicely. :)

Cheers
Oscar

That is brilliant, I think in Perth will be looking from beginning to end 3 villa project about 9-10 months.
My plan is to have 2 projects on the go per year as I see this for me as a great way to create income streams and access equity. The way the Perth market is going I am not sure how much my next development site will cost so perhaps Melb will be the way ahead, as long as the figures stack up I will go anywhere

Hi Oscar,

Glad to see everything is going well with the development! Looks like things are coming along quite quickly. I just noticed them advertised and wanted to say good luck and hope they sell just as quick!

Selinarra

Hi Oscar,

Glad to see everything is going well with the development! Looks like things are coming along quite quickly. I just noticed them advertised and wanted to say good luck and hope they sell just as quick!

Selinarra

Thanks Selinarra, going well so far. The finish is going to better than most of the stock for sale in the area. This should make selling easier.

Cheers
Oscar

Hi Oscar,

Great project you've got happening there, just read it from the start. Awesome of you to share!

Will there be an owners corp?

I'm just doing my first one now, a corner block in Knox council, and the surveyor has suggested an owners corp so that the 3 units can share the sewer access point - otherwise there will be no common land. He said without the owners corp, we would need 3 separate sewer connection points which is going to be more expensive.

Just wanted to get your thoughts on it and what you did?

Many thanks again for sharing :)

Hi Oscar,

Great project you've got happening there, just read it from the start. Awesome of you to share!

Will there be an owners corp?

I'm just doing my first one now, a corner block in Knox council, and the surveyor has suggested an owners corp so that the 3 units can share the sewer access point - otherwise there will be no common land. He said without the owners corp, we would need 3 separate sewer connection points which is going to be more expensive.

Just wanted to get your thoughts on it and what you did?

Many thanks again for sharing :)

Hi Willy1111, I'm Oscar's business partner. I thought I'd answer your question. This development has no owners corp for common property. However, like your Knox development it will share the same sewer point. This is standard practice and it is the most cost effective way.

Huss

Hi Willy1111, I'm Oscar's business partner. I thought I'd answer your question. This development has no owners corp for common property. However, like your Knox development it will share the same sewer point. This is standard practice and it is the most cost effective way.

Huss

hey tigerboy,

just for curioisty, what sort of interests does each have? is it a 50/50 split or is one providing more $$$ or expertise?

would like to know for me strucutre future deals

hey tigerboy,

just for curioisty, what sort of interests does each have? is it a 50/50 split or is one providing more $$$ or expertise?

would like to know for me strucutre future deals

Hi TMNT, out consultancy business is basically a 50/50 split. In addition to this we also do our own individual projects and help each other out. It works well for us.

Huss

3 weeks since the last update and a lot has happened. I've uploaded more photo's than usual.

Monday was a great day. I turned up to the site and saw the electricity crew installing the second electrical pit (power needed for units 2 & 3). :D The estimated installation date was mid July so this came about 7 weeks early. I can really push along fast now whereas there was no real urgency as the units would have been finished without any power.

The plasterwork has finished, except around the kitchen area. This will be completed once the kitchens go in tomorrow. The brickwork is now finished which meant i could get the site all clean again (nice feeling :) )

Internally the chippies have nearly finished the fix - hanging up all doors, skirts and archs. Next week the tiler is in to do the waterproofing in the bathrooms and then start on the tiling in the bathroom, laundry and kitchen splash back areas.

Externally, yesterday i had the big excavator come with the hammer to dig the trenches for Telstra and for the electrical conduits. Massive rocks continued to come out. At one stage the poor guy was hammering away in the one spot for at least 20 minutes - the thing just would not break!

Monday the plumbers are back to do the stormwater work outside and put the three pits in. Tuesday the bricks get acid washed which makes the units looking all nice :)

Cheers
Oscar

Attachments

• external bricks.jpg
    external bricks.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 401
  • internal fix.jpg
    internal fix.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 393
  • plaster.jpg
    plaster.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 407
  • electrical pit install.jpg
    electrical pit install.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 390
  • electrical and telstra conduits.jpg
    electrical and telstra conduits.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 410

Huss

Hi Huss
Welcome updates this project, would welcome any feedback on any other projects you have on the go.

MTR:)

3 weeks since the last update and a lot has happened. I've uploaded more photo's than usual.

Monday was a great day. I turned up to the site and saw the electricity crew installing the second electrical pit (power needed for units 2 & 3). :D The estimated installation date was mid July so this came about 7 weeks early. I can really push along fast now whereas there was no real urgency as the units would have been finished without any power.

The plasterwork has finished, except around the kitchen area. This will be completed once the kitchens go in tomorrow. The brickwork is now finished which meant i could get the site all clean again (nice feeling :) )

Internally the chippies have nearly finished the fix - hanging up all doors, skirts and archs. Next week the tiler is in to do the waterproofing in the bathrooms and then start on the tiling in the bathroom, laundry and kitchen splash back areas.

Externally, yesterday i had the big excavator come with the hammer to dig the trenches for Telstra and for the electrical conduits. Massive rocks continued to come out. At one stage the poor guy was hammering away in the one spot for at least 20 minutes - the thing just would not break!

Monday the plumbers are back to do the stormwater work outside and put the three pits in. Tuesday the bricks get acid washed which makes the units looking all nice :)

Cheers
Oscar

Nice when things go according to plan, except that bloody massive rock. When this happens, does this blow the budget, these are the unknowns, and one of my concerns with my current development, I may hit limestone, slim chance but you never know.

Cheers, MTR

Nice when things go according to plan, except that bloody massive rock. When this happens, does this blow the budget, these are the unknowns, and one of my concerns with my current development, I may hit limestone, slim chance but you never know.

Cheers, MTR

Hi Marisa,

I'm not sure how your builder will charge. Over here it doesn't cost anything to dump the rocks, just need to pay for the truck to remove it. In this case I will be removing the rock when i am ready for the driveways - so it might cost me an extra few hundred bucks. Where it gets expensive is when you need to keep pouring concrete to the point you hit solid ground.

Cheers
Oscar

Yay - good to have something come early!
All is looking good. I love a clean looking site too :)

Yep, it was a pleasure driving out there today - nice and clean with the exception of some large rocks :p

John - I'll be going with bamboo rather than tiles for the floors. Once it's laid i will be putting quads around the edges. The skirting is larger than the standard used here so it will work out ok.

Oscar

Well the bricks have been acid washed so they look nice and clean now. The stormwater is taking much longer than usual due to the boulders! I haven't seen so much come out of the ground before. It would usually take a day but Wednesday will be Day 3. Should be all finished though.

The tilers are in tiling the laundry and bathrooms. I'll put some pics of the bathrooms when finished later in the week before the painter gets in there.

Also the kitchens are in - less the stone. This is installed after the painter is finished. :)

Cheers
Oscar

Attachments

• kitchen.jpg
    kitchen.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 407
  • bricks cleaned.jpg
    bricks cleaned.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 374
  • boulders - stormwater.jpg
    boulders - stormwater.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 358