4 weeks and still no tenants

...and lo and behold we seem to have a prospective tenant without taking any of the aforementioned action - spring has indeed sprung.:) :)

(fingers crossed) us too our PM had an appointment to sign the lease at 5.00pm tonight and no news is good news.

It has been about 5 weeks since first advertised (property is in Point Cook), although it did take a couple of weeks to complete the fencing and put the carport door on so that might have put some tenants off. Also dropped the rent $10 a week and after that we got 3 decent applications.

One thing though, if we had had a No Pets policy we would not have a tenant at this time!

i find this thread interesting, in this time of low rent vacancy. i guess it comes down to picking property and areas that people want to rent.

i settled on my new 3 bed ip two weeks ago - the ad had only been on the internet 6 hours (didn't even make it to the papers) and had 12 parties apply. was rented within 4 days as the asking price - and now the tenant has asked if they can do some painting inside ... go for it! as is a "tidy" dump we intend to knock down within a few years anyhow (hopefully 1 year) to build the townhouses.

Experiencing similar problems. With all the hype in Frankston there was a lot of activity in the purchasing side of real estate which then resulted in a glut of rentals on the market.

3 bed unit in Frankston South a leafy road in good school zones etc. However not moving. The pictures on the internet are rubbish so I am going to take my own. The blurb on the ad is not at all enticing either so will change that myself.

It's multi-listed now too so that may help. PM is just not pro-active really but rumoured to be one of the best in the area....

I am dropping the rent to $195 today in a hope that it will grab the interest of those below $200 budget. I'd rather lose $5 a week and have someone in there.

Glad to see I am not the only one going through this at the moment!

JoJo

Hi JoJo,

Frankston has gone through a brief phase of excessive prop on available rentals compared to relative demand however it has eased lately.

I am confident that the problem has more to do with a massive increase in the rental register for the agents ( who all of a sudden found hundreds of more prop to manage off the back of massive investor driven activity) and their subsequent inability to manage that increase properly.

I have had issues with my own prop agent that I believe to be the best in Frankston (that manages my Frankston portfolio), since I find their rental dept currently under resourced. The result has been that the agents cut the corners and do not market the prop properly.

I have had 2, 3 & 5 weeks of vacancy for some of my prop in Frankston (compared to not more than 1 week of vacancy each year per prop for my entire portfolio in the last 5 years).

The best prop to rent have been the ones which have had a face lift.., minor reno (fresh paint or recarpeting) etc since most are older style houses and visually good prop get a huge increase in rental.

Would you mind sharing the details of the agent that you had poor experience with in Frankston..?

Harris

No problem sharing. Actually it was probably on your recommendation that I am using Andrew Milne as my property managers - however didn't manage to get Cathy which I was a mite peeved about as I had specified her by name. however due to this forum she is of course over stretched so I use Barbara.

Now she's a sweet lady but there is an edge missing. I had the fortune to have some communication with Cathy when Barbara was on annual leaave - what a difference!

As an aside - the property, in Denbigh Street, is now rented.

Again this is an indication of the service - on Friday 31st August she told me someone had put in an application. I heard nothing more until she phoned on Thursday to say they were moving in that day and here's a list of things that need attention.

It it weren't for the tribunal and legal side of Property management I'd have a go myself.

well - huge sigh of relief it is rented now so i can start sleeping again and planning my next IP - not in FRANKSTON!!!!

JOJO

No problem sharing. Actually it was probably on your recommendation that I am using Andrew Milne as my property managers - however didn't manage to get Cathy which I was a mite peeved about as I had specified her by name. however due to this forum she is of course over stretched so I use Barbara.

Now she's a sweet lady but there is an edge missing. I had the fortune to have some communication with Cathy when Barbara was on annual leaave - what a difference!

As an aside - the property, in Denbigh Street, is now rented.

Again this is an indication of the service - on Friday 31st August she told me someone had put in an application. I heard nothing more until she phoned on Thursday to say they were moving in that day and here's a list of things that need attention.

It it weren't for the tribunal and legal side of Property management I'd have a go myself.

well - huge sigh of relief it is rented now so i can start sleeping again and planning my next IP - not in FRANKSTON!!!!

JOJO

Hi JoJo,

I agree with your assessment of Andrew Milne prop mgt dept being a bit slack lately, however I use them because out of all the other prop managers with various agencies, I found them to be the best option.

We had our fair share of miscommunication, not being followed through, less rental than the appraisal, slightly demanding tenants and then failure to manage the situation well, etc etc, however to be fair I don’t sweat on it too much since relatively speaking they are all “manageable” issues and are not impossible to fix.

I have put a hard word on Andrew Milne and I think he is putting more resources to manage the rental side of things well.

I will have 11 tenancies in Frankston (by the time I settle on last couple of prop) and finding it very time consuming to manage the properties. Also acutely aware that the area is going through a boom and it is a relatively lower soci-economic area with similar class of agents. Things are getting much better as more investors demanding better service are entering the market.

I wouldn’t be put off buying in an area for these (relatively minor) issues and happy to live with these dramas to reap the CG that is hitting the area with full force.

Good luck

Harris

My personal feeling is that the rental market in eastern states is not good as it in WA. I have two properties rented leased. They are more applications and I have to choose which one is better. For one propery, I did not like the first 5 applications, then readvertise it and get one I like.

My personal feeling is that the rental market in eastern states is not good as it in WA. I have two properties rented leased. They are more applications and I have to choose which one is better. For one propery, I did not like the first 5 applications, then readvertise it and get one I like.

The rental market here is on fire and has historically low rental vacancy rates. My properties in inner melbourne haven't had a single week of vacancy in the last 5 years and same with my Cairns, Rocky and Hervey Bay prop.

The rents in inner melb have gone up by more than 20% for my prop this year alone.

Frankston is a unique example currently because of an extremely high investor activity level and under resourced prop agents.

The latest is that within Frankston, the rentals are back in short supply.

Harris

SE QLD Rental market

I'm not sure what the WA rental market is like (see TheAnalyst thread), but can say that all our 5 IP's in SE QLD (specifically outer southern suburbs of Brisbane/Logan) have been constantly tenanted since we built our first one in 2003.:) Just this week, our PM advised that one IP becoming vacant was looked at by 4 suitable tenants.

Our inner brisbane IP has been vacant for 6 weeks!!!
Now priced $30/- below rent appraisal...

I think PM is slack and doesn't keep me updated. Thinking of sacking the PM, but I think the contract says 4 weeks notice.
If I could do it tomorrow I would!

My understanding in NSW is that until you have an actual tenant, there is no binding contract with property manager. So, you can have a couple of agents looking for tenants for a property. Not sure what the situation is in QLD, but I would look around for another PM, because everything I've heard about QLD is that the rental market is very tight.
Pen

Curious MiQu to know what suburb your place is. We are repainting a Balmoral house for my mother and will be looking to rent it in a week, but unsure of prices as the previous tenants were there four years, so the rent was under market when they left.

Wylie

Wylie
Its in Ascot. The previous tenant was there for 7 years and was a friend of the previous owner. So when we bought the place agent said rent should be at least 80 dollars more. We raised the rent by $40 to $300/- as she was a good tenant and was moving to another town soon.

We then added a new kitchen, paint, lights, a/c and agent apparaisal was $400/-$420/-. Now reduced to $370/-. I was overseas for 4 weeks and they hardly did anything or updated me while away. I think the problem we have had is a combo of overvaluation and slack agent. Make sure you have a good agent who knows the market and is proactive.

Rental tenancy agreement states 4 weeks notice. Does anyone know if this could be shorter when vacant (like in NSW? - thanks Penny K).

Wylie

Rental tenancy agreement states 4 weeks notice. Does anyone know if this could be shorter when vacant (like in NSW? - thanks Penny K).

Our agreement (in Qld) stated 90 days notice to terminate management contract. I negotiated this down to 30 days and suggested to the PM if she does her job it is a mute point anyway but I wouldnt give her 90 days of not performing.

She was happy to reduce the notification period but would not go to less than 30 days.

Cheers
Stella

Back