53,900 Kiwis left for Australia ...where do they settle down?

FIFO in WA. I'm in mining here too and we are swamped with them! But kudos to 'em. They are doing a lot jobs that we are finding hard to fill.

Anyone else in Perth sick of seeing fern stickers on the back of cars???

New figures from Statistics New Zealand showed a record 53,900 people left for Australia in the year ended July 31, which was offset by 14,000 New Zealanders returning from Australia.

I'm curious on where they settle down...is logan area,qld their 'hotspot'

Anyone care to share

No offense to any kiwis.

thanks

They are moving to greener pastures?

There are several relatively small regional towns of Victoria that have New Zealanders move into. One example is a group that do contract shearing/rousing/dipping sheep. They've been an incredible bonus to these small communities with their hard work ethic, shearing skills and innovative business idea of providing the whole kit and caboodle for shearing, the manager of the NZ team organises everything, the farmer needing them just rings her and it's all booked.

Beautiful shearing too btw and no more farmers trying to get hold of (scarce) shearing teams.

The other aspect is the huge friendliness and community spirit they bring to the towns, buying and renting properties, all their family then extended families can tend to follow, children to fill the schools. It's win/win. Bless the Kiwis.

And they bring culture and enjoyment too, I can't remember the name/word for the bake thing they do when throwing their parties, (the whole town gets invited), but it's delicious.

There are several relatively small regional towns of Victoria that have New Zealanders move into. One example is a group that do contract shearing/rousing/dipping sheep. They've been an incredible bonus to these small communities with their hard work ethic, shearing skills and innovative business idea of providing the whole kit and caboodle for shearing, the manager of the NZ team organises everything, the farmer needing them just rings her and it's all booked.

Beautiful shearing too btw and no more farmers trying to get hold of (scarce) shearing teams.

The other aspect is the huge friendliness and community spirit they bring to the towns, buying and renting properties, all their family then extended families can tend to follow, children to fill the schools. It's win/win. Bless the Kiwis.

And they bring culture and enjoyment too, I can't remember the name/word for the bake thing they do when throwing their parties, (the whole town gets invited), but it's delicious.

And OO Kiwi's aren't bad at throwing the footie around either :D

I left NZ back in 98 to play footie overseas and ended up living in the UK for 6.5 years. I meet my beautiful wife in the UK who is a dinky di Aussie.

We returned to Australia and now live in Glenorie, NSW which I think is my little piece of gods country. We now have 3 beautiful boys. I very proudly acknowledge that we are an 'Australian' family. I became a fully fledged Australian citizen about 5 months ago which I am very very proud of because I love this country. Home is where the heart is I've always said. However, I will also always love NZ and OO you describe kiwi's beautifully.........thankyou.

And, I think the term you are looking for OO is a 'Hungi' which is a traditional Maori way of baking food in the ground. And I tell you what.....the food tastes incredible!

Think you might be referring to a "hangi".
Speaking of rugby - strange how every Australian tradie I deal with managed to miss the last installment of the Bledisloe cup :D:D:D

I don't think New Zealanders tend to congregate in any particular area en mass like the Greeks, Asians or those with an Arabic background. Kiwi's tend to assimilate with the rest of the Aussie population probably because they have so much in common and have similar lifestyles and backgrounds.

I'd say your typical NZer would probably live in any of those areas where your typical Australian would live based on income, affordability and desired lifestyle. Most Kiwis I've met while living here (I'm also one) tend to be tertiary qualified with either an IT, legal or accounting background and live in the more affluent areas of Sydney including Eastern suburbs, North Shore and Inner West. Long gone are the days when a typical Kiwi migrant was a dole bludger, collecting it in all 8 states and territories.

I don't think New Zealanders tend to congregate in any particular area en mass like the Greeks, Asians or those with an Arabic background. Kiwi's tend to assimilate with the rest of the Aussie population probably because they have so much in common and have similar lifestyles and backgrounds.

it's amazing how som many cultures have a thread or two in common with aussies, but they came by boat.....

Hangi! that's it, (thankyou). Beautiful, absolutely scrumptious.

Traditionally, Māori cooked in a pit under the ground in ovens called ‘hangi’.

Māori were aware that the earth was the giver of all life, from the soil came food and that same food was cooked beneath the earth.

In traditional hangi cooking, food such as fish and chicken, and root vegetables such as kumara (sweet potato), are cooked in a pit dug in the ground.

In today’s modern society, pork, mutton or lamb, potato, pumpkin and cabbage are also included.

Hangi cooking
Hangi food or ‘kai’ was traditionally wrapped in leaves, but a modern hangi is more likely to substitute with aluminium foil and wire baskets.

The baskets are placed on hot stones at the bottom of the hole. The food is covered with wet cloth and a mound of earth that traps the heat around the food.

The food is in the ground for about three to four hours, depending on the quantity being cooked.

The result of this long process is tender, off-the-bone meat and delicious vegetables, all infused with a smoky, earthy fragrance.

http://www.newzealand.com/travel/media/features/food-&-wine/maori-culture_maori-food_feature.cfm

where is the easiest place to get the dole and very few jobs? :D

ok seriously, it would be gold coat, Brisbane where all the cousins are ;)

Too right. We raise the IQ's of both countries when we come over to Aus. Might be something to do with leaving the nest at 18 or earlier and learning to stand up on our own, as opposed to Aussies munching off mummy and daddy's retirement funds and living in utero until 30's.

Back