6 bedrooms 6 bathrooms? Allowed

Hi all,
Im in the process of getting concepts for an investment home drawn up. Had a single story design of 4 bedroom each with an ensuite for the purpose of renting on a room by room basis. I would prefer to go 2 story and have a 6 bedroom 6 bathroom. 4 down and 2 up allowing Upstairs having a kitchenette.
Does anyone know if there are any problems with having too many bathrooms built? Do councils like or hate it? Ive heard that going more than 4 may be hard to get approval?? THanks for your help

ive seen 6x4s in kardy before, with 2 dining tables, extra large kitchen etc. if someone can be bothered it would be a good way to bring in some income

ive seen 6x4s in kardy before, with 2 dining tables, extra large kitchen etc. if someone can be bothered it would be a good way to bring in some income

Especially if it is located across the road from Murdcoh Uni ;)

Last edited:
I have spoken to people who have boarding houses in Perth and they found more than half were always non-uni students and said there is a market for quality individual rooms with a decent separate social side to the house. I just want to make sure I don't creep in to the boarding house zone which in WA is 6 leases i believe, so 4 leases down stairs and 1 upstairs(2 rooms).

In the city of bayswater

I have heard that they can be difficult to finance as they aren't seen as standard houses. Worth talking to a broker from here about it first.

Hi all,
Im in the process of getting concepts for an investment home drawn up. Had a single story design of 4 bedroom each with an ensuite for the purpose of renting on a room by room basis. I would prefer to go 2 story and have a 6 bedroom 6 bathroom. 4 down and 2 up allowing Upstairs having a kitchenette.
Does anyone know if there are any problems with having too many bathrooms built? Do councils like or hate it? Ive heard that going more than 4 may be hard to get approval?? THanks for your help

I would also consider talking to a broker about this. A bank probably wouldn't take into account the higher yield of renting by the room and would use a more conservative 'family' figure if you are using the rental income for servicing.

There are a number of places surrounding Curtin Uni like that
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-bentley-112628411

thanks for the call yesterday.

a house with up to six unrelated persons is still a residential dwelling.

a house wit more than six unrelated person is a residential building.

try and avoid a study (can be a bedroom) but a seperate living area is a good idea.

the difference from a fire, council, construction point of view is large and varied.

thanks for the call yesterday.

a house with up to six unrelated persons is still a residential dwelling.

a house wit more than six unrelated person is a residential building.

try and avoid a study (can be a bedroom) but a seperate living area is a good idea.

the difference from a fire, council, construction point of view is large and varied.

So what about the OP?
Is 6 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms and 2 kitchens ok?
Will council approve a new build with this configuration as a residence or would it be classified as something else?
Does anyone know?

I cant speak for your state but we just painted one in Inala Qld,
6 Bed 5 ensuites,1 bath,two Kitchens,one laundry,

Lady of about 30 said she had three teenage children and elderly parents and said council was fine except when they wanted two laundry's,so they had to suffice with what they got.

I cant speak for your state but we just painted one in Inala Qld,
6 Bed 5 ensuites,1 bath,two Kitchens,one laundry,

Lady of about 30 said she had three teenage children and elderly parents and said council was fine except when they wanted two laundry's,so they had to suffice with what they got.

No more than 5 unrelated people under one roof. That's why council was okay with it, they were the same family.

However if the fire department inspects your property and sees 3 or more double beds they classify that as evidence of more than 5 people and if you cannot show that they are related then you need to be classified as a boarding house. Which basically involves getting rezoned as a unit block (which I bet isn't easy).

Note I'm taking all this from my knowledge of Brisbane City Council rules, not too sure what the differences are elsewhere.

As for the council being okay with the 6 bed 5 ensuite setup I wouldn't see why they would have a problem. As for 2 kitchens, that can get tricky, sometimes you have to label the second as a wet bar, or you have to label one kitchen as being in a granny flat downstairs or something along those lines. I wonder if that family in Inala classified downstairs as a grannyflat, if they would have been allowed their 2nd laundry.

But anyway as for the OP I'd check with council or a town planner, they all have stupid rules that you have to follow that make no sense.

Friends had 5br all with ensuites built, one kitchen etc. though (all for familyholiday house). Other friend had a lounge room with a bar built upstairs and turned it into a kitchen after c.of.o for mother

How likely are they to raise an eyebrow if you label it a wet bar or something like that on your floor plans?

A lot of the upside down living houses have a kitchenette on the ground floor. A friends WBN one has a little one - room for a bar fridge, sink, kettle and overhead cupboards.

Just be careful when you want to access equity from the house, you might not have as much as you think because the valuers won't value this the same as a traditional house i would suspect.

We had a 9bedroom, 4 bathroom house which was rented out by the room and provided incredible returns as we bought it cheap but had little to no equity in it because if anything, the valuers valued it lower than a 'traditional' house because their view was that there would be fewer people in the market willing to buy a house with this type of configuration. Great returns but had trouble getting any equity out of it. Something to consider. If cashflow is your sole goal then this won't really be an issue.

sorry...me no unnastan.

a 6x6 is a regular house for all intents and purposes as the law and lending is concerned.

what are you comparing this "traditional house" to....?

Back