6 months time out - where to live?

When we have our first child within the next two years (hopefully - life always likes to throw curve balls), we're planning on taking six - twelve months as a complete time out.

I'm looking for somewhere on the east coast with access to a decent beach (clean, swimmable (although patrolled not a major issue), small town center nearby but a good hospital not more than 1hour away. Happy to either buy or rent but don't want to be paying sydney or Canberra prices. The kind of places that have appealed so far are South West Rocks, Grassy head, or possibly even somewhere down on the great ocean road.

In many ways this is a trial sea change/semi retirement, we're happy to set ourselves back slightly to take this time out and enjoy the journey a bit.

Suggestions please?

NSW South Coast - great beaches, pristine clear water. Blows, like a fatman runing up stairs, in winter - take up kite surfing!

Rent a villa in Bali for 6 months-far cheaper than renting in NSW.

For the same price as rental alone here you could have a plunge pool, driver, maid, gardener, high speed internet connection etc.

Have been considering this. Would suit an active sharetrader using internet.

Thanks guys
Looks like some interesting options available

Ajax - Bali sounds great except that I wouldn't want to go with a young infant, might be something to consider for a few years later

I was going to say Bali.

I have friends that have retired there. One is on a Pommie pension. He lives like a king. His driver picks him up every afternoon. He sits at the beach bar for a few beers, then the diver drives him home or out to dinner. He has a house keeper, cook.

Ajax- if you are considering it there's an expat forum with lots of info.

How about a cheap Winnebago from a pensioner who has had their super drop.
Just grey your hair and cruise to ALL these places . A week here , a week there:)

Gee Cee

Greg

My style of getting out and about

Back