$60 charge for Tribunal Application?

Kevin

When I was doing the Licensing course, one of the teachers used to manage a rent roll of more than 750 properties.

He instilled in us a righteous fear of going to the Tribunal - or any other Court, for that matter.

He, personally, thought it was the ultimate admission of failure should a professional agent not be able to negotiate the situation through to a successful solution.

He also thought it was a criminal waste of time which could be put to better use, such as signing on more landlords or attending to the tenants he already managed.

Noel told us, very sternly, that in more than 30 years of business he had never once been to court and had no intention of ever going.

Congratulations on managing your rent roll in such a professional manner!

Kristine

PS However, having a human being for a property manager and not Noel H., should my pm ever have the need to represent me at the Tribunal - and having been there myself for the planning application - I would certainly not expect this service for 'free'.

Knowing how consistently and well my pm and the team work, I consider I get value for every dollar I pay them across the course of the year. The Tribunal and its processes are time consuming, the events leading up to it would undoubtedly be stressful, and a day in the CBD, preparation, actual costs such as petrol and parking, I would consider a professional fee of at least 8 hours by $50 per hour (plus GST) would be just about a break even cost for them.

... by the way, rather than call the plumber out for a leaking 'O' ring under the cistern, the pm went to the property on his way home, inspected the leak, drove to Bunnings and returned to replace the seal, all at his own expense and on his own time.

... at the recent relet of another property, the property inspection report ran to 22 pages. Both pm combed the property from top to bottom, even listing 'seven small indentations in the plasterboard to the right of the door leading into the rumpus room'.

I think these fellows are just great and the salt of the earth!

I have had a tenant taken to the tribunal- the same tenant, and three times.

This tenant was inherited by me when I bought the block- and probably by the previous owner- he has been there for a few years.

But, I figure that this comes with my territory. I'm letting one bedroom units, at the rock bottom of the rental scale in the Canberra area. So, although the rental return is above the Canberra average, the risks are higher.

My PM has been to the tribunal for the third time for the same tenant. I have been very thankful that it has not been my time which has been required.

I don't have tribunal fees from the PM, but I probably should.

I'm sure they do Jarrod.

Something to aspire to. :D

If you think their fees and charges are bad get a copy of ARPM 2003 and listen to what Gene Bennet and Jeffrey Taylor ( http://www.mrlandlord.com/ ) from USA charge in the states. If memory serves me correct it would cost a tenant $200 to inspect a property. Same deal I believe in looking to buy also. The charges in America were unbelievable. Everyone was just sitting in disbelief or laughing hysterically ( you had to laugh because it seemed impossible to believe).

REA's charge around 6% to sell a property but I am sure that Real Estate is very different in USA in its method to Oz.

Kristine, Thank you for your kind words. I have to give all credit to Carolyn my Property Manager. She is outstanding and deservedly won last years Australian PM of the Year within First National.

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

Jeez, and here I was thinking they were cheap.

I don't have a problem with the agent making money from the deal, and I don't have a problem paying their costs (though $6 a month in postage seems pretty steep).

The single cost that I object to is a letting fee (in WA) of 9.25% of the gross rental collected for the lease period.

This is in addition to the 9.25% management fee, the $130 property condition report and $250 advertising, $65 property inspection.

So by my calculations these fees add up to 27.35% of the gross rental, which to me is simply unacceptable. 10-15% total I feel is reasonable.

27% of my rental income is enough to destroy any profitability from the rental.

Man, the Aliquot deal is unbelievable !!!

Wouldn't touch that - pay for a statement - you're kidding !!

What gets me, is if you're charged 5-7% of rent (which is fine). Why are you then charged for statements, postage etc - this should be part of the management fee !

Just what is the "Management Fee" for?

Tribunal - From memory (only gone once), my PM charged around $50, which I understood. I also attended (just to make sure things went my way)

Paying more doesn't always mean quality - sometimes you just pay more......

I have been told 12% Management in WA is not uncommom.

The highest I know of in Brissie is David Deane at Strathpine ( I am not saying whether they are or are not worth it or that they are in fact the highest - disclaimer)

They charge 9.5% management fee, 1 wks let fee, 1 weeks rent for advertising and statement fee of $5 for each statement. This is exclusive of GST.

Just for the record, we charge 8.5%, 1 wks let fee, advertising at cost and nil fees for statements, all exclusive GST. However, we are about to introduce a charge for mid month statements, I believe we should only be expected to do disbursements at the end of the month. If an owner insists upon an extra statement I think it is fair to charge a nominal amount for it.

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

Originally posted by Kevin Hockey
I have been told 12% Management in WA is not uncommom.

I wish. Of all the agents in my local area, this one is pretty standard. 12% for management is probably not uncommon (though 8.5% +GST is more common), but you need to add on top of that the other 10% letting fee.

Also, the management fee is 8.5% +GST of total collections (ie if they collect money for water consumption then this is included).

Some agents were even more expensive with one charging 10% management fee + the same letting fee + a property condition report of $275, plus inventory of over $100.

And their service was shocking. They didn't even bother to turn up to inspect the property as arranged.

Back