$6000 tax incentive ...

The policy is designed to get marginalised people into decent housing. If you built a house x% below median price and got your rebate, would you not then try and find the best possible tenant? If the prospective tenant was "receiving Family Tax Benefit Part A and the maximum amount of Commonwealth rental assistance" would you seriously consider them in a tight rental market? If these properties would only attract tenants with a dubious ability to pay rent, would you even invest in them?

If the government really wants landlords to rent to tenants in financial distress, they need to give landlords some certainty that they will be paid and their property will be well looked after:
- Direct payment from Centrelink / PAYG for the duration of the lease (which the tenant cant stop or reverse) would be a good start.
- Payment of damage claimable through Centrelink / PAYG benefits
- Tribunals who support rental agreements rather than bleeding heart stories. Again costs which can be recovered through PAYG/ Centrelink.

Now that's some good suggestions! Especially as you mentioned for people on Centrelink payments. Why pay them the amount and then leave it to them to pay the rent - usually late. Just get the rent directly deposited to the landlord and then the tennants receives the remainder.

Under a $600 million Labor policy to be formally announced today, investors will receive an annual $6000 tax incentive to build 50,000 homes to rent to eligible families at 20 per cent less than the average market rent.
Did they do their maths?

Assuming that rent didn't even rise over the ten years, the rent would have to be $57pw or below in order for a developer not to be out of pocket. ($57 less 20% by 52 weeks by 10 years is just under $6000). I don't know of many places which would rent for that little.

Isnt this just a way for the govt to slow down funding to public housing programs and move the onus onto private owners. Was reading an article the other day on the huge increase in costs to repairs for public housing, wont be their problem if they dont own the housing

Another fine example of how politicians piss away my tax dollars just to buy votes from the lazy sods who already steal plenty of our tax dollars in social benefits. We've had nearly 20 comments in this short thread and none of it seems to me to be supportive of KR's idea. Why doesn't KR's policy advisers make an attempt to speak to investors like ourselves or event post the question here before making outlandish policy decisions like this? Furthermore its subsidised with our tax dollars!

BTW, I don't know many insto funds who buy resi IPs. Only one group I know is doing it - Residential Property Trust of Australia I believe but they're mandate is to focus on high growth resi IPs in metro areas but with moderate gearing only as the negative cash flow is simply too much to sustain. Who'd want to buy new IPs in the back of nowhere which are already negatively geared, let alone a further 20% reduction in market rent.

To the politicians: LEAVE US THE HELL ALONE AND STOP WASTING OUR TAX DOLLARS TO BUY VOTES!!

Arkay, I believe it also has to do with Labor not really being able to find another strong topic with which they can attack the govt. on. At the moment, this is a big issue for a lot of people, and an area where a lot of (relatively) cheap and popular promises can be made for political point scoring.

Absolutely Right!

This is a pure political grab for the masses upset with the Howard Gov.

Unfortunately it will not fix the problem.

It will however be politically savvy. Note how it came after the recent Housing Summit? “We listened, we acted” will be the catch cry.

Labor has finally worked out how to win Government

Libs look dead in the water.

Debating the merits is waste of time as it will very likely become like the FHOG and simply be absorbed in to the process. No doubt economists at all the big builders are working on “lower rent market packages” as we speak. It will have so many loopholes you could drive a truck through them.

But again…

It will help them win Gov and that is the game.

Regards, Peter 14.7

Another fine example of how politicians piss away my tax dollars just to buy votes from the lazy sods who already steal plenty of our tax dollars in social benefits.

I guess that comes down to a philosphical view about where (if at all) you have a safety net in society. I dont think anyone denies that there are people who rort the system, but having an inadequate safety net (im talking about in general, not just housing) leads to problems in its own right.

We've had nearly 20 comments in this short thread and none of it seems to me to be supportive of KR's idea.

Hmmm. I quite like it. I just dont think it has a great relevence to non institutional investors, or the majority of the people in the current rental market. I think it is trying to bring institutions and marginalised people together into a win-win scenario.

Who'd want to buy new IPs in the back of nowhere which are already negatively geared, let alone a further 20% reduction in market rent.

To the politicians: LEAVE US THE HELL ALONE AND STOP WASTING OUR TAX DOLLARS TO BUY VOTES!!

You can buy a new unit/appartment for $250k easily in many parts of melbourne. 4% rental yeild = $10,000 a year rent. If they rent at 20% below market ($8k) and have a $6k subsidy, income is $14k. With wholesale build costs, management costs, and mortgage rates that looks like +ve cash flow with little or nothing down. As long as they can enforce payment (eg rent and damages come directly from family benefits), I dont see that as rediculous.

Under a $600 million Labor policy to be formally announced today, investors will receive an annual $6000 tax incentive to build 50,000 homes to rent to eligible families at 20 per cent less than the average market rent.

Last edited:
Did they do their maths?

Assuming that rent didn't even rise over the ten years, the rent would have to be $57pw or below in order for a developer not to be out of pocket. ($57 less 20% by 52 weeks by 10 years is just under $6000). I don't know of many places which would rent for that little.

It's $6000 a year not $6000 all up.

To break even with market rent $6000 cannot equal greater than 20%
6000 divided by 20 times 100 = $30,000 annual rent = $576 per week rent

Surely the vast majority of rentals are under $576 per week?

greedy tenants have it too good now, and now they want to offer a further 20% discount at taxpayers expense. Just gets more ridiculous by the day.

Greedy tenants??? Rents have kept track with wages so how have they had it too good? Aren't most investors also getting a discount at taxpayers expense through negative gearing?

In times when rents are supposedly increasing at double digits rates p.a. (and rightly so given poor yields/lack of rental stock available)

See that's the problem, they're not really increasing at double digits. Wages aren't so rents never will. This rents rising at 20% rubbish has already been debunked. See:

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s1857681.htm

Poor yields does not equal rental increases. Most current IP owners had poor yields going in, why would/should this suddenly change now? Just becuase the poorly formed business model relies on continuing capital gains wont make it so either? What will make it so is an increase in wages and peoples capacity to pay higher rents.

Poor yields does not equal rental increases. Most current IP owners had poor yields going in, why would/should this suddenly change now? Just becuase the poorly formed business model relies on continuing capital gains wont make it so either? What will make it so is an increase in wages and peoples capacity to pay higher rents.

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Rents rely on supply & demand. When there is a high demand for a property it will go up in price regardless of what wages are doing.

Maybe you should stop believing all you hear in the media.

Back