80s slate floors

We have slate floors in our home. The brown, multi-toned, 1cm+ wide grout between them and uneven type. Functionally they are fantastic. Cosmetically not so.
I have looked at painting, them, levelling with compound then flooring over the top but we already have low ceilings, can't grind them down as they flake so thinking the best option is pull them up. (We are on a slab)

Has anyone ripped up a slate floor?

my daughter has just ripped up a huge area of beautiful highly glazed italian tiles, a massive job, There is a flat shovel tip with an angled shaft you can buy in bunnings to fit into your drill and this was a massive help, but be prepared for concrete dust all over the house

Slate floors have a massive visual impact on an interior - and not a positive one in my opinion. They're "too busy" and overpowering. However I think they can be really toned down by having very crisp white walls, light coloured floor rugs and a paired back, 'sparse' look in regards to furniture and wall hangings. It also helps if furniture and fixtures, eg. kitchen, are white. Is it possible to try this before going to the expense and inconvenience of ripping them up?

Hooray for removal of slate floors, fugly fugly fugly!!! I saw a property with a bathroom done in slate, floors, walls, even the side of the bath and inside the shower bay was slate.

Tulamalula and fenfern I agree that slate tiles are not attractive

Davem- yes we have an ozito and the right end bit.
I think it is the way we have to go but was seeing
If others had done something different.
Fenfurn - yes the shovel tip is the one I bought

Gottabespotless. I have thought about painting walls
and timber skirts and arcs beforehand to see if it makes
Enough difference. I am going to do it with the kitchen -paint the timber
And see how it looks before getting a new kitchen.
I don't want to paint all walls and then cover them in dust.
A case of chicken and egg

All I know is that once it is started there is no going back

Will do. We want to do some research into how much the Reno will cost and how if that will result in increasing value by more than we spend. Plus mentally preparing for the task.
I hadn't mentioned the blue bathroom, including blue toilet and tapware
Had some disappointing news yesterday. Had quote done for garage door to be put on enclosed carport. Can't really be done-well they but it must be the roller type and we lose a foot of internal space which means car won't fit inside when door closed.
Too much work!

Back