A big thank you

...to the low life that stole my garden tap from my holiday home, leaving water spewing out of the side of the house for so long it flooded the street. Seriously if you are that desperate you need real help. Scum.

...to the low life that stole my garden tap from my holiday home, leaving water spewing out of the side of the house for so long it flooded the street. Seriously if you are that desperate you need real help. Scum.

That's rough.

Could be worse, I heard about someone who hooked up hose to neighbours tap to fill their pool. A real walking low life.

That's rough.

Could be worse, I heard about someone who hooked up hose to neighbours tap to fill their pool. A real walking low life.

yeh my mate had a feral tenant that lent the neighbours a hose for this purpose...maybe it was my story? :)

prob saw the RE.com ad and were poking around.

how long had it been running since you found out?

I really don't know... it was 2 weeks ago and I only found out yesterday, starting with the ol' no water coming out of the tap scenario. bloke next door didn't know either, just said all the whole street got a bit excited when the road flooded - which seems unlikely to be honest given the location of the tap and the ability of the ground to soak up water. somewhere in all the hysteria and incredibility of it all lies some truth. will make an application to the water corp for a reduction in consumption - they usually require a plumbers report but a police report may suffice, will have to see

I really don't know... it was 2 weeks ago and I only found out yesterday, starting with the ol' no water coming out of the tap scenario. bloke next door didn't know either, just said all the whole street got a bit excited when the road flooded - which seems unlikely to be honest given the location of the tap and the ability of the ground to soak up water. somewhere in all the hysteria and incredibility of it all lies some truth. will make an application to the water corp for a reduction in consumption - they usually require a plumbers report but a police report may suffice, will have to see

Last week my PM mentioned an issue where there was a major leake on a property that was not visable, under the house and the bill came to $3000:eek:, got a plumbers report and got reduced to $700.

And insurance in this instance isnt much help either (depending on when you last used the house). There is a clause in most insurance agreements that states that the place must be tenanted in the previous 60 or 90days.
They have problems with Holiday homes being untenanted for months at a time, then having claims against them.

At our holiday house a big storm ripped up one of the roofing tiles, then proceed to fill the house.
Fortunately at the time I was using the house almost every other week, but had to prove I was there. Luckily I was in the bank so had a very detailed diary plus I was making purchases on my cards which were sufficient back up. But without that they wouldn't have paid a dime.

We have also found "squatters" in the place. In actual fact it was a couple of local kids using the house to smoke pot and drink beer after school. They didnt damage the place, just made a mess of it. Fun cleaning that up! :confused:

my insurance polciy is tailored for a holiday home... about as good as protection as I can get?

anyway the water corp gave me the big fingers up. the concessions, apparently, are only for leaks that are underground and fixed by a licensed plumber. Whether that is strictly true or not I don't know (the undergound bit) but either way the cost of the plumber to confirm it would exceed a few thousand litres of water.

That's rough.

I just thought of a lovely payback.......

Items such as a bucket and contents of a blocked toilet come to mind....

my insurance polciy is tailored for a holiday home... about as good as protection as I can get?

anyway the water corp gave me the big fingers up. the concessions, apparently, are only for leaks that are underground and fixed by a licensed plumber. Whether that is strictly true or not I don't know (the undergound bit) but either way the cost of the plumber to confirm it would exceed a few thousand litres of water.

Yeah, we always thought ours was as well, we missed the fine print that says that someone has to occupy the place within the previous 60-90 days (Sorry I cant recall which one). It was within the booklet which they gave us - so it was standard t&c's of property insurance.
If you havent already might be work having a re-read just to be sure.

Blacky

Turn your water off at the meter, should fix any potential issues in the future. Tap thieves will also be happy not having to deal with water spouting everywhere when they steal yours, also.

Back