A Complete Granny Flat Build

<sigh> Just heard from the PM that there is a problem with neighbours nicking building supplies that are being left in the front yard on the edge with a vacant house next door. The PM gave the neighbours a talking to but that is a temporary measure at best.

One solution is to leave the supplies at the back of the property but the builder is not keen on this. Maybe it is not practical. Another solution is a temporary fence but the builder does not seem too keen on that either. Additional expense/work?

The feedback is the builder wants some one to pay for the stuff that goes missing. Can't be the tenant or the PM because it is not their business/responsibility. That leaves me :(

Anyone have suggestions?

The feedback is the builder wants some one to pay for the stuff that goes missing. Can't be the tenant or the PM because it is not their business/responsibility. That leaves me :(

Anyone have suggestions?

That should not be you. That should be the builder / builder's insurer.
Stuff gets nicked / vandalised on building sites all the time. I've never heard of a client being asked to pay. :eek:

<sigh> Just heard from the PM that there is a problem with neighbours nicking building supplies that are being left in the front yard on the edge with a vacant house next door. The PM gave the neighbours a talking to but that is a temporary measure at best.

One solution is to leave the supplies at the back of the property but the builder is not keen on this. Maybe it is not practical. Another solution is a temporary fence but the builder does not seem too keen on that either. Additional expense/work?

Anyone have suggestions?

It's NOT your responsibility to pay for lost or stolen builders materials. EVER.
Who told you you have to pay for replacement?

How'd the builder get away without putting up a temporary fence?

Yea...hold on.
Im getting a bunch of mixed signals/Chinese whispers (pardon the pun)....seems the builder said NO SUCH THING about making the client pay for stolen materials.

The property manager said something about "who's gonna pay..." , Im now told.

The client is in China and I think we're getting some bad commmunication here.

Let me assure anyone that my buiders DO NOT make clients pay for stolen building materials...nor do they build without a construction (cyclone) fence.

Fear not, we'll get it all sorted out tomorrow and proceed with the work.

Last edited:
That should not be you. That should be the builder / builder's insurer.
Stuff gets nicked / vandalised on building sites all the time. I've never heard of a client being asked to pay. :eek:

It's NOT your responsibility to pay for lost or stolen builders materials. EVER.
Who told you you have to pay for replacement?

I was not clear in the original post about this theft of supplies stuff. The builder did not ask me to pay.

Second hand feedback (from the PM) indicated the builder would want payment for stuff that went missing. Being paranoid I took that literally and jumped the gun and assumed I'd pay.

Why isnt the builder keen on putting stuff at the back?
Im guessing lack of space?

The back is fenced off with access through a 2 meter gate which is good for the tenants and their children but is making life difficult for the builder and suppliers. It is also small as Brazen mentioned which makes things more difficult.

The back is fenced off with access through a 2 meter gate which is good for the tenants and their children but is making life difficult for the builder and suppliers. It is also small as Brazen mentioned which makes things more difficult.

I have had similar experience with a granny built at Chester Hill. This is despite having the site secured. Apparently some of the window frames were taken by neighboring kids.

William (I am sure its the same builder as yours, organised via Serge) was great about it and just dealt with it. So, I wouldn't be too concern if I were you.

I am at the "lock up" stage of my granny built now and will likely start another built this year when/if I can get hold of Serge to start the stage 1 of granny built :)

I have had similar experience with a granny built at Chester Hill. This is despite having the site secured. Apparently some of the window frames were taken by neighboring kids.

William (I am sure its the same builder as yours, organised via Serge) was great about it and just dealt with it. So, I wouldn't be too concern if I were you.

I am at the "lock up" stage of my granny built now and will likely start another built this year when/if I can get hold of Serge to start the stage 1 of granny built :)

umm..you're in Melbourne! :p

The tile roof is finished and a pic below has been attached.

Still issues with access to the rear of the site, dealing with the tenants and rubbish removal. The builder is trying hard to work with the tenants and get the job done, the tenants are trying to minimise disruption to their living environment and the PM is running around trying keeping the peace.

All the large object work has been done so now it is just a matter of getting the tradies in. Hopefully they can use the side GF access not the main double gates so there will be less builder/tenant access issues.

Originally in advance I worked out a method of paying for water and electricity used by the builders that would keep the tenants happy. Probably a decent bit more than was actually used but better to pay a little extra and keep the tenants happy which pays for it self in the long run. So I was surprised when the builder mentioned they were going to pay the tenants directly. That should have been sorted and and the tenants not need/want payment from the builder. One more communication issue for the PM to deal with.

Just another day on a building site :p

Attachments

• Roof finished.jpg
    Roof finished.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 161
No more dramas over the last few days.

The eaves were installed yesterday and the cladding should be ready today.

A couple more pics :) Easy to tell from these pics that even at 45m2 it is a bit of a squeeze. At least there is a decent sized yard out the front door of the GF that faces north.

Getting envious of people who have GF's on larger blocks :rolleyes:

Attachments

• eaves pic one.jpg
    eaves pic one.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 152
  • eaves pic two.jpg
    eaves pic two.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 165
In pic 2, thats the fence you installed to separate the granny flat and your front house right? Cos thats mighty close to the fence!

Also, how will that room get any light given the fence pretty much blocks it?

In pic 2, thats the fence you installed to separate the granny flat and your front house right? Cos thats mighty close to the fence!

Also, how will that room get any light given the fence pretty much blocks it?

That window you're looking at (against the internal fence) is a frosted bathroom window.
He actually boasts a 5.3 m x 6.5 m open space which is accesible from the living room.

Your house to rear bdy = 19.8m
His house to rear bdy = 13 m

Pretty similar setup in the end because his granny flat is only 6 m long; yours is 9.52 m long.

He actually has more private open space assigned to the granny flat as follows:
You have about 42 sq m of open space at the rear only.
He has about 38 sq m of open space on one side and about 15 sq m on the other side.

The distance from his house to the granny flat is 5.50 mtrs
The distance from your house to your granny flat is 6.24 mtrs
A 0.72 m difference. Not very much nek.

You know I love ya but he actually has more room than you think.

Serge.

Last edited:
Actually i was thinking if mindmaster can get away with such a narrow gap (as shown in pic 2), how do i go about doing the same. LOL.

Can I get someone to take a shot of that same space after cladding with a person standing in there (i need to fence off something similar and want to know how close i can go :D)

Actually i was thinking if mindmaster can get away with such a narrow gap (as shown in pic 2), how do i go about doing the same. LOL.

Can I get someone to take a shot of that same space after cladding with a person standing in there (i need to fence off something similar and want to know how close i can go :D)

Who, oh cool ok. I think he's 900m wall-to-fence.

It's the same as any dwelling to a boundary.
Hell, some new dwellings are built 500mm to a side boundary at some Councils.

Timeline & GF tenants

Gradually getting closer to completion.

Timeline
20 Dec - Contracts signed
7 Jan - Work on the GF
18 Mar - completion expected around 15 April
3 Apr - Completion expected around 3 May
Currently - so far 3 May is looking good for completion

Delays were mainly caused by weather and a number of very tricky issues with tenants that gave both the builder and the PM a lot of grief. Access to the site was a key issue and now that the heavy work is finished, tradies can access the site thorugh the GF access which is completely separate from the house.

The PM is on the ball and has already started advertising the GF with $270 a week rent which is sweet after planning for $250. So far she has 6 people interested and is just waiting for completion to do inspections.

Theft

The exterior is pretty much all done and at the lock up stage. Completion is in around a couple of weeks with the 20th as the latest likely date.

Builders have been doing a good job but facing issues such as theft of supplies. It has got to the stage where nothing can be delivered unless it is used on the day because anything left there will get nicked. Even windows are not safe unless they are bolted/fixed into the frame of the GF.

Separate electricity meters - the sparky has installed one meter for the GF and one for the house
Flow meter - a flow meter will be installed between the GF and the house so water bills are clear. The PM will need to check it so not popular with them
Aircon switch - the power of the GF has been set up with a heavy duty switch for aircon. A small unit will cost around $1500 so I'm not going to install one. Not worth while.

Hoping to have pics of the inside posted next week

Back