A funny thing happened ...

... on the weekend.

We are between tenants at the moment, new ones move in on Friday and we went up there on Sunday to finish off a couple of small maintenance jobs hubby was doing. I could hear a sound like water running, but figured it was probably coming from next door. The properties are pretty close together and he has a pool so I thought it was probably just him topping up his pool or something rather than a busted tap, but we thought we had better check round the back, just in case.

Turns out we were right; it was the neighbour topping up his pool – with our water! Cheeky bugger.:p

Obviously not too swift either, you would think he would have done it at night, not in the middle of the day.:rolleyes:

Tee, hee, hee - that is quite cheeky isn't it!! Did you turn it off and knock on the door to kindly return his hose?

Nah, didn't even have to knock on his door. Hubby (who is over 6 foot and 100kg) just looked over the 6ft fence and there he was. Caught red handed he threw money at us to compensate. Probably the most expensive water he has ever bought. :)

Ha, ha!! Love it! I had tears in my eyes!!! Probably the first time you've come out on top with a water bill!!!

Nah, didn't even have to knock on his door. Hubby (who is over 6 foot and 100kg) just looked over the 6ft fence and there he was. Caught red handed he threw money at us to compensate. Probably the most expensive water he has ever bought. :)
You could always install lockable taps for all the outside outlets, what happens next time once you are away?..

What a selfish tool... you'd be tempted to write him a letter saying if it happens again you'll get the authorities involved for trespass and theft.

Happens a lot.

We bought a lock for an outside tap when water bills went sky high. Obvious suspect was the elderly lady next door using our hose to water her extensive garden. Never caught her at it - clearly she was doing it during the day when we were at work. Lock installed and water bills settled back to normal.
Marg

Turns out we were right; it was the neighbour topping up his pool – with our water! Cheeky bugger.:p

Wow, the nerve of some people! I'd be doing what Russellpeter said - check previous bills to see how long it's been going on for.

Cheers

Jamie

Does it really matter if the tenant is paying the bill? If that's the case, it's their responsibility to police use of the water.

Does it really matter if the tenant is paying the bill? If that's the case, it's their responsibility to police use of the water.

+1 Exactly what I was thinking doesnt matter tenant paid it. Your going to do all the running around and investigating and return it back to the tenant.

If thats the case kudos to you for the effort but sounds like a lot for nothing in return.

I guess the meter was read for the outgoing tenant and will be read for the ingoing tenant. That means neither old nor new tenant would be paying for the water.

That is not the issue anyway. Bloody cheeky neighbour.

Wylie's right, it's between tenants, so neither would be paying. We don't actually charge our tenants for water anyway. The house is compliant so we could, but we just can't be bothered. The readings are almost six months out of date by the time we get them and they have never been excessive.

As for the neighbour. We think he just recently moved in so it hasn't been going on for any length of time. We read the meter and going by past bills he was probably telling the truth when he said he had only just turned it on. I would be surprised if he tries it on again, he was embarrassed at getting caught. At least I think he was embarrassed because he got caught, but maybe it was the photos.

Smile you're on candid camera. ;)

Wow - I can even imagine how some people have to nerve to do something like that.

I get majorly stressed and feel guilty when the dog is gasping for a drink on a long walk and I give her one from someone's roadside tap (maybe half a litre at the most is used).

Wow - I can even imagine how some people have to nerve to do something like that.

I get majorly stressed and feel guilty when the dog is gasping for a drink on a long walk and I give her one from someone's roadside tap (maybe half a litre at the most is used).

People must have done that with our tap, but always left it dripping. Prolly more water was wasted than they used. :(

We have changed it to need a key now, problem solved.

Back